IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finding some infinity underneath where everyone he loved would exist

that was the only part of the finale I liked..

that character had such nihilistic amoral arrogant appeal, a popular tell-it-how-it-really-is edge, self-certain, self-satisfied with his answers re:all things wondrous. it was nice to see him humbled and in awe of death

When does second series start anyways?

The creator said he wants to do one a year, next series could possibly be 2 females, and will deal with a conspiracy involving the US transportation system.

It would be sweet if the same cult/conspiracy story carried on through the series, but with different sets of characters discovering facets of it in different places. Maybe they are playing a long game?

Hopefully the female characters in the second season have a bit more depth.

ah, well, I thought Maggie was real, but yeah, the court reporter and the crazy fuck-me-in-the-ass ex-bunny ranch girl seemed to exist just to satisfy HBO's t&a requirements.

also

It would be sweet if the same cult/conspiracy story carried on through the series, but with different sets of characters discovering facets of it in different places. Maybe they are playing a long game?

this would be great. I do think more should have been done in s1 with more episodes, I mean 8 episodes is pretty tight for all the material thrown up in the first 4. it'd be great if they could carry it forward and let things fall into view gradually.

All things considered, I really enjoyed this.

That would indeed be awesome.

this would be great. I do think more should have been done in s1 with more episodes, I mean 8 episodes is pretty tight for all the material thrown up in the first 4. it'd be great if they could carry it forward and let things fall into view gradually.

This.

I think the next seasons will probably have more episodes due to the popularity of the first season. These shows usually start small because it's a gamble on behalf of the studio/production company whatever.

lol my life goal is to live until 2094 so i live the hell encased within that time capsule.

It's just a note with dickbutt scribbled on it. Although making a time capsule that would release some deadly pathogen when opened would be a pretty sinister thing to do. Thinking of it some more, it would be pretty ingenious to have the ground zero being a mass transit hub ensuring that the disease spreads quickly and widely. *puts away tinfoil hat*

When does second series start anyways?

The creator said he wants to do one a year, next series could possibly be 2 females, and will deal with a conspiracy involving the US transportation system.

Pizzolatto said "I am still fleshing it out. The basic idea: hard women, bad men, and the secret occult history of the US transportation system. I was well on my way in the writing, but there’s been a lot noise and work around the end of the first season that got in the way." I am thinking the occult here means the hidden history, not to do with any supernatural things. That said I would like a series like True Detective but with a supernatural element, nothing overt but something brewing underneath the evil of humans still being very much the main point.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Hopefully the female characters in the second season have even bigger tits

qft!

nothing overt but something brewing underneath the evil of humans still being very much the main point.

sounds like the show creators are secretly very big fans of Millennium. Very slight linkage also because the director of True Detectives is asian-american as was James Wong the main director of Millennium.

Millennium featured Frank Black, a freelance forensic profiler and former FBI agent with a unique ability to see the world through the eyes of serial killers and murderers, though he says that he is not psychic. Black worked for the mysterious Millennium Group, whose power and sinister agenda were explored throughout the series.

The first season dealt primarily with Black pursuing various serial killers and other murderers, with only occasional references to the Group's true purpose. The second season introduced more supernatural occurrences into the show's mythology, with Frank often coming into conflict with forces that appeared to be apocalyptic or demonic in nature.

and now James Wong works on American Horror Story, one of the only other anthology series around atm.

I also love Millennium.

Millenium was an awesome show. I think Chris Carter produced the first season only right?

That's right. The move to the supernatural was when James Wong & Glen Morgan took creative control of the show in the second season. I don't think Carter had originally planned to include supernatural elements. He came for the 3rd season.

I am also a fan of the show and remember always watching it when it first aired in my country. Love the finale and the second season and it would have been great to finish it there.

finding some infinity underneath where everyone he loved would exist

that was the only part of the finale I liked..

that character had such nihilistic amoral arrogant appeal, a popular tell-it-how-it-really-is edge, self-certain, self-satisfied with his answers re:all things wondrous. it was nice to see him humbled and in awe of death

I can understand how it could seem that way, but I just disagree that it was meant to be edgy or arrogant. To me it was real value, real "knowledge". An insight into "the other side" so to speak. I don't think being humbled by death or in awe of it is any mindset to strive for. We are machines and then the machines break down, it's not that magical. To see the human as a machine and everything as "pointless" is hard to do for some people, but in the finale, when rust then talks about the love he felt etc, that is nothing but a sigh of relief for people to say "ahh yeah, he's just mentally broken". Not only that, but there were religious connotations too, which is an even further backstepping.

Personally I haven't seen anyone in tv shows or movies talk about the same stuff as rust did, it's not just "tell it how it really is" nonsense, it is more nuanced and real, at least I felt it that way.

I'm not saying value can't be created in this world, we can create it all the time, but to have the baseline and feel it and understand it (rust's initial comments), have to be based on rational thought and not the idea that someone just has a mental illness of some kind. It's devalued then to my way of thinking.

So just finished this after watching it all week. If I had been watching this week by week as it aired I would have lost interest fast. Watching it in one week held my attention.

Loved episode 4 where rust was under cover with that biker group. Really wish more of the series was like that.

All in all it was OK. Just one extra long episode of criminal minds really. But where they never arrest the people just blow their brains out.

Archived