IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And am I the only one who thought that gorgeous reflected shot of Cohle in his hospital bed at night was set up to make him look like a certain Son of God? It would certainly put the last line of the finale in a whole different light…

thats what i saw as well...glad thats as far as it went tho,for me the end game was rust the ultimate pessimist/nihilist was given a vision of potential hope/salvation that shakes up his core beliefs

I just caught up fully. thought the ending was good but not mindblowingly great. it was sastisying enough. I had no problem with Rust's closing outlook, but then I'm not that jaded and shriveled up that I would (a little hope is fine, you bitter watmmz).

do agree that it was wrapped up in a sort of anticlimactic way vis-a-vis the "sprawl" of the case but maybe that's a reflection of how detective cases usually play out. irl things don't usually resolve completely and with a big showdown. and Marty did say something to the effect of "we didn't get 'em all, but this ain't that kind of world". they found some closure in putting down the main responsible guy, the one who indirectly fucked with their lives even.

overall still a fantastic show and I'm looking forward to s2. baph, you should watch it. fuck other people telling you what you should or shouldn't enjoy, I think this show is worth your time.

btw I will sound like a pig but goddamn there were some fine-ass women in this. someone already mentioned Alexandra Daddario. Lili Simmons warn't nothing to sneer at neither (I totally didn't recognise her all 'grown up'), but unexpectedly it was Michelle Monaghan who gave me the biggest palpitations. that brief glimpse of her bubblebutt popping out from under her dress had me all

giphy.gif

I think we got a case of the viewers building up something that the show had no intention of cashing in. Had no problem with the ending.

yeah. this happens a lot, especially with people discussing tv shows online. I've seen the most ridiculous unlikely shit thrown around and when people keep talking about it and building false expectations in their minds, they can't shit on the show for not fulfilling them.

the worst thing is the scars clue. this guy is barely scarred. can't be him. oh it is. OK THEN

but that was the whole point - Chinese whispers, the rashomon effect, little details recounted by witnesses being blown out of proportion the more they are re-told and remembered

I agree I was sliiightly let down at first, but when you stand back, it's a much cleverer what they've done with it.

I really enjoyed the series - thought it was absolutely great! Sure it didn't answer every last little thing, but all the better! Who would want this to be dragged out over 5 series. Short and sweet, leaving you with a taste in your mouth...all the better.

and yea, the cinematography was amazing - best use of 16:9 i've seen in recent memory!

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

the worst thing is the scars clue. this guy is barely scarred. can't be him. oh it is. OK THEN

but that was the whole point - Chinese whispers, the rashomon effect, little details recounted by witnesses being blown out of proportion the more they are re-told and remembered

whilst that sounds fine, they heard about these "scars" first hand from at few people at least. so not chinese whispers.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

oh come on. he had a little acne scar was all i saw. maybe it was more obvious in HD and this was them punishing the SD viewers

oh come on. he had a little acne scar was all i saw. maybe it was more obvious in HD and this was them punishing the SD viewers

lols - agreed

When they first revealed it was him at the end of the 2nd last episode I had to spridge back and look at it again and ask myself "...really, that's it?!"

Buuut, as I said I think it works better this way - and as for the 'first hand' accounts, i'm willing to bet if you go back and watch those exact interviews the people probably don't make THAT much of a deal about the scars, just mentioning it as something they noticed. I think it all stems from one of, if not, the first time we hear and see that artists rendering of him - describing it as a 'spaghetti face monster' - but this was from a childs description, and c'mon - children are idiots

Totally enjoyable ending.

The tension in the labyrinth was great - you knew rust was gonna get bumrushed, but when it happened it was awesome.

Some of you lot are unbelievable - if they had left it open-ended you would have been complaining about not explaining some shit. AS to why they didn't get the rest of the cult, well, look at how resigned/self-defeated Rust was when they had that bit on the news about scarboy being distanced from the governor's family. But you had to know they weren't gonna get the higher-ups...the ones who run shit.

I didn't get the English accent hing either - possibly just to show how deranged he was...living in a fantasy world where he's both gentleman and monster. Some great acting on his part though. The acting was good all the way through (for the most part, very few cringeworthy scenes imo).

Anyways - good times - season 2 has a lot to live up to.

who else thought it was cheesy as fuck when the killer as he was running away kept talking as if his voice was through some kind of megaphone / loudspeaker? I haven't seen as unrealistic as a use of audio as a film device since the original Psycho (and no i dont mean that sarcastically, that part of Psycho always bugged the shit out of me, how it was obvious that Anthony Perkins was not making the voice of his mother)

who else thought it was cheesy as fuck when the killer as he was running away kept talking as if his voice was through some kind of megaphone / loudspeaker? I haven't seen as unrealistic as a use of audio as a film device since the original Psycho (and no i dont mean that sarcastically, that part of Psycho always bugged the shit out of me, how it was obvious that Anthony Perkins was not making the voice of his mother)

hallucination / supernatural elements which peaked with rust's vision. "unrealistic" is a poor critique given the context.

Totally enjoyable ending.

The tension in the labyrinth was great - you knew rust was gonna get bumrushed, but when it happened it was awesome.

Some of you lot are unbelievable - if they had left it open-ended you would have been complaining about not explaining some shit. AS to why they didn't get the rest of the cult, well, look at how resigned/self-defeated Rust was when they had that bit on the news about scarboy being distanced from the governor's family. But you had to know they weren't gonna get the higher-ups...the ones who run shit.

I didn't get the English accent hing either - possibly just to show how deranged he was...living in a fantasy world where he's both gentleman and monster. Some great acting on his part though. The acting was good all the way through (for the most part, very few cringeworthy scenes imo).

Anyways - good times - season 2 has a lot to live up to.

yep

Guest Mirezzi

Eh, I don't have enough energy or interest to go on a hate rampage, but in the end, True Detective was just fluff.

Robbie is right about the design of that final set, too...it was like the Yellow King went from being a front man for some secret organization of historically powerful cultists in the region to a single lone fat weird fuck with an amazing imagination. I'm kinda sad he was killed because you don't come across that sort of artistic ability more than once in a lifetime. Did you see how he had decorated his lair? Exceptional stuff; HR Giger eat your heart out.

Anyway, I'm with Nussbaum on this one.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/03/03/140303crte_television_nussbaum?currentPage=1

this is totally off topic but sometimes i feel like all the mystery and voodoo nonsense in movies and tv is just a way to get people to escape into made up worlds, thus distracting them from the actual real world. i mean theres so much shit going on with governments, corporations, that we never read or hear about in any proper way. i mean most of life is now a made up dream world, while the real machinery underlying our very life and existence is hidden from our view, covered by the dream glasses we constantly wear.

that said, i love the occult, and mystery and all these things, but sometimes, i just get a notion

And also, I didn't like how they made the speeches by Rust about his daughter's death, and that horrible parable outside the hospital at the end about dying and then finding some infinity underneath where everyone he loved would exist. First he starts out in the series by laying down some actual real world knowledge, and then they undo all that good by appealing to the religious and the spiritual, and in the process banalizing the information in like, episode 1 and all the episodes where he talks about the human condition. That's again just enabling blissfully ignorant people the ability to ignore realities and call the person "depressed" or "crazy", because in the end, nobody can really believe that a person could say something that doesn't fit the mainstream cheese without being crazy or depressed

Guest Mirezzi

FWIW, I had no preconceived notions of how this series *should* end, but rather, I just wasn't the slightest bit interested in the last two episodes. It's that simple. There was a fork in the road with many options and Pizzolatto arguably took the path I found most boring.

That Podheretz guy is one queen bitch. It's actually like Roger from American Dad had written that article.

But yeah, not the most satisfying of conclusions really after all that build up of intrigue, suspense and Tuttles. Final episode concentrated on the relationship between Marty and Rust as if the first 7 had been just about the two of them lying in bed together looking at the stars. So there you go, it's about two guys at different stages in their lives and everything else is just background noise. Hot dang.

I haven't read anything here or on reviews linking the swirling "darkness" to the spiral shape of the cult? Hello I thought it was obvious. Also all that yellow shit with the antlers in the catacomb sure looked like a throne to me.

think the only interesting thing i got outta this show was learning about the yellow king literature/mythology. other than that this was pretty much a giant meh. disclaimer: i lost interest after episode 6 and never finished.

this program was a massive blue ball, the first 5 episodes built such an amazing atmosphere and sense of the mystic, that was completely and utterly undelivered on by the last 3 episodes.

much like lost, the first season was amazing, but then quickly spiraled into the most shitty, unsatisfaying ending ever.

questions are much easier to ask, than amazing answers are to give.

the green ears/house connection was so gimmicky imo.

or maybe i dont remember right... it was rust investigating on his own, who took the picture.

was it the same area/county/w.e where the girl was chased thru the woods?

I mean, to me it was just a random house , that he decided to register for whatever personal reason(peculiar design), and now ended up a weak tie-in.

that "jesus rust" shot at the hospital with the cheesy melody was unnecessary lol

Archived