IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

I am really enjoying the hell out of this show and I am pretty sure the showrunner/writer will keep giving us quality work.

Check it out if you haven't yet and don't be fooled by the generic name of the show.

Rust Cohle is one of the coolest characters ever.

Phantom-City-True-Detective.jpg

here is an article about the show creator Nic Pizzolatto, spoilers are in the article, you have been warned.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/04/inside-the-obsessive-strange-mind-of-true-detective-s-nic-pizzolatto.html

Spoilers will be everywhere in this thread as well.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from an entertainment weekly article on the show:

"True Detective is many things at once—an immersive character study, a gripping head-trippy murder mystery, a psychological profile of the anti-hero zeitgeist, a tour de force for Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. But simply and deeply, it is a story about two men telling a story. Rust Cohle (McConaughey) is a flickering ghost of a man who works four days a week and spends the other three drinking himself numb. Martin Hart (Harrelson) is a healthy-living P.I. whose good-old-boy humility, Bible Belt faith, and family man virtue belies so much hypocrisy. Both were detectives once—and for seven years, partners—and the tale they tell concerns a journey into some seriously noir woods, literally and metaphorically, that wrecked them and haunts them still. The more they talk, the more we see who they are, even as we wonder how much of what they’re saying is really true."

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/12/true-detective-premiere/

I like this.

It really reminds me of The Wire, where you're rooting for these utter drink driving psycho ex boyfriends but you love them because they're just a bit nicer than the criminals.

4th episode made me shake with tension.

This is definitely No. 1 on my hotlist of shows to watch. My cousin from Phoenix is always teliing me what shows are good. Im like ''What up bitch, we don't have these channels in the UK, either it gets on Sky Atlantic or I'll stream it''. Gonna stream this bad boy.

It's not consistently good. They have that super cliche edgy deep south christian syncretism thing going on. Some of the soundtrack is really good, but they keep throwing in that country woods music so all the people who watched Hell on Wheels and Walking Dead can say "OH LOOK, IT'S ANOTHER SHOW ABOUT THE SOUTH!"

there is someone that has the final say putting terribly bland LA dad rock in this show. It ruined the end of epi 4. just let the soundtrack guy have his vision and don't pull a vince gil.

I can just imagine the guy: 54 year old fedora wearing neckbeard saboteur, with his bronzed-out 5th wife.

just watched episodes 1-4, fourth episode (ending) was goddamn amazing. i can't even remember the last time i was this impressed with a single scene in a tv show.

yes indeed data, nearly had a panic attack....

Hey Sheath, you are just like the parts you hate in the show, in this thread,

you are the parts of the show that ruin everything for yourself....

DRINK THE FUCKING KOOL AID!

this show is bad ass, butt rock and all.....

check it out after a lot of hype and recommendations. First impressions: a little too heavy on the Woody. Liked the tone of the show, felt a little meandering but i liked how it wasn't predictable or generic. Overall it seems very promising.

with the combination of this and the fucking BINGE-able House of Cards season 2 premiering on netflix on friday, im set on TV for a while.

check it out after a lot of hype and recommendations. First impressions: a little too heavy on the Woody. Liked the tone of the show, felt a little meandering but i liked how it wasn't predictable or generic. Overall it seems very promising.

with the combination of this and the fucking BINGE-able House of Cards season 2 premiering on netflix on friday, im set on TV for a while.

O new house of cards cool. R they releasing the whole season at once?

I wasn't impressed by the first episode but it really got good quick.

I felt the same with Breaking Bad, tbh, and some episodes of The Sopranos and The Wire were dreadful, THIS IS NOT ANY DIFFERENT.

Loving this so far.

I don't see the Breaking Bad connection though. Feels more like a mix between Justified and The Wire to me. I mean Rust is practically McNulty v2: the fucked up, drunk, rebellious, obsessive and dedicated detective.

Also.. I'm really to starting to become a big Matthew McConaughey fan, he can't seem to put a foot wrong lately. Shame it took so many years to get his shit together.

Archived