IGNORED

Analog Bubblebath 5, Caustic Window LP, and Melodies from Mars for sale on Discogs

coconuthead

What’s funny is the person with the record, assuming everything is legit, probably could have started a Kickstarter saying “I have the lost Caustic Window LP on white label. I’d like to pay a ton of money to have it archived and then release it for free to the internet for people to hear. I’m setting my goal at 15,000 to fund the expense of organizing this endeavor, and a professional transfer and mastering for the album.”

Then, we could have all pitched in and the person could have KEPT the record.

EDIT: assuming everything is legit. EVERYTHING

EDIT 2: aren’t a few of the CW tracks released on compilations? Is this release legit w/r/t those previous releases of the tracs?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s funny is the person with the record, assuming everything is legit, probably could have started a Kickstarter saying “I have the lost Caustic Window LP on white label. I’d like to pay a ton of money to have it archived and then release it for free to the internet for people to hear. I’m setting my goal at 15,000 to fund the expense of organizing this endeavor, and a professional transfer and mastering for the album.”

Then, we could have all pitched in and the person could have KEPT the record.

EDIT: assuming everything is legit. EVERYTHING

EDIT 2: aren’t a few of the CW tracks released on compilations? Is this release legit w/r/t those previous releases of the tracs?

Only 2 tracks as far as I know, are already released. They're the ones with names on the LP, Cunt, and Muttley.

errr someone correct me if I'm wrong btw

only problem with that is that it shouldn't take 15grand or even close to have that done. not even close.

there are studios that offer this as a service, transferring old records, cassettes, vhs tapes etc, into digital formats. i've looked at some of them and, you can tell that lots of them are just using cheap setups like i've even seen people doing it with 100$ usb turntables. those are usually less like a pro studio that's involved in music production and just more like small outfits doing any kind of multimedia task, not necessarily experts, and just have some equipment and some basic know-how at saving things to computer files, maybe with light editing. basically they are just trying to cash in by providing a service that they realized some people will be wanting.

but the best way to do it would probably be to find a studio that has really good a/d converters, which is probably most decent recording studios, but also has a good turntable. maybe you could find one who would be ok with copying a record if they were told the story and shown that there is some consent (richard's). and if you found a studio that fit that description- guess what?

it's only going to cost you maybe a 100-200$. maybe even less if you found one with lower hourly rates.

so yeah doing a kickstarter and asking for over $10,000 just to get a record digitized would be totally dishonest and insane.

only problem with that is that it shouldn't take 15grand or even close to have that done. not even close.

there are studios that offer this as a service, transferring old records, cassettes, vhs tapes etc, into digital formats. i've looked at some of them and, you can tell that lots of them are just using cheap setups like i've even seen people doing it with 100$ usb turntables. those are usually less like a pro studio that's involved in music production and just more like small outfits doing any kind of multimedia task, not necessarily experts, and just have some equipment and some basic know-how at saving things to computer files, maybe with light editing. basically they are just trying to cash in by providing a service that they realized some people will be wanting.

but the best way to do it would probably be to find a studio that has really good a/d converters, which is probably most decent recording studios, but also has a good turntable. maybe you could find one who would be ok with copying a record if they were told the story and shown that there is some consent (richard's). and if you found a studio that fit that description- guess what?

it's only going to cost you maybe a 100-200$. maybe even less if you found one with lower hourly rates.

so yeah doing a kickstarter and asking for over $10,000 just to get a record digitized would be totally dishonest and insane.

I wonder if they maybe priced it to a point where they just thought noone would buy it? Like to get some media or internet attention? Hype?

I don't really understand. =(

yeah i dont know about that, guess its possible. price does seem weird. in case it wasn't clear tho, i was replying to ascdi's idea that they could've just started a kickstarter asking for 15,000 to archive the thing. the idea that it would cost that much to digitize a record is just insane and anyone doing a kickstarter like that should get chased over a cliff with pitchforks and torches thrown at them

Pff, you’re exaggerating at least as much as I am. Find a GOOD place to transfer what, 3 LPs? So, probably like two hours of music. It can’t be transferred any FASTER than two hours, that’s for sure. If you get some fancy “restoration” services in there too (clean up the vinyl clicks and whatnot—after all these are dubs right), you’re talking what, 6, 7, 8 hours at least? Probably more.

I have no idea what the rates are but assuming you can get it done that quickly, it’s probably still 100 bucks an hour if someone decent is doing it.

Then get it mastered by someone “name” like the Exchange or Transition or D&M or whatever. That’s probably at least a grand? Two? Maybe a lot more?

So, you’re still well short. Okay fine, all gold-level backers, and a randomly-selected remainder of silver-level backers get a CD-R of the tracks and I dunno, an exclusive extra disc with Wisp, EOD, and CH mixes. We could make that happen no doubt.

So now you’re paying to press that stuff.

I mean, it doesn’t exactly work but I’m just trying to point out, the way this is going down NOW is really weird and not at all efficient if you really think the goal is to “share the music”.

nah, im not well short.

ok for all 3, yeah that would add time. so altogether a few hundred.

click and pop removal... imo it should probably just be released without any of that

then if anyone wanted to take it upon themselves to do it, fine. you don't really have to be a pro to get good results with that.

and have someone master it? why have someone else come along and re-EQ/compress/limit or whatever the thing just according to their own opinions about how it might be made to sound 'better', when it would just be some random guy doing that, 20+yrs after the thing was made, out of any context of what market it was intended for or what wishes the artist might have had for it. then there's the fact that it probably already had some kind of mastering done before being put on record anyway.

are you nuts or what?

so nah, i don't think i was exaggerating at all let alone anywhere near as much as you. you're still about 14.6 thousand bucks beyond what it would take to get a good transfer, tops, if the smallest amount of work was put into researching and finding a good studio to do it in. you're just adding all these frivolous and totally needless, jok-ass expenses for no reason. pressing cds? wtf dude

I got direct word from Grant early on that this was a legit sale that he knew about and didn't have a problem with, at least as far as AB5 goes. Along with that he had to know about the Caustic Window LP as well.

Who ARE you mr?

I'm just a man w/ Facebook chat

i think thats kinda irrelevant because even up to 3 or even 5 hours, is just not anywhere approaching 13,500 dollars.

and the high speed thing, i would imagine that could hurt the final quality. at least it does when tapes are duplicated that way. but i've never heard of high speed vinyl/digital transfers, so maybe it doesnt. but i just don't think itd be much of a cost to worry about, spending a few hours to get a pro do the transfer on high end equipment. i guarantee if you spent a few hours looking around at studios online to find one, you could find one to do it for what would be chump change compared to the 13Gs buying the damn thing.

only prob would be maybe having to ship it to them and back, if it wasn't local

I can't see anyone paying 13500 for the record, so why are you lot offering the full amount and not negotiating with the seller for a more appropriate price. On top of that, if those contributing to the kickstarter are the main market for the record and are unlikely to ever pay 13500 for a record, how when you lot are the vendor for the resale of the record after you have ripped and distributed the high quality wav files to everyone involved, do you think that you will achieve a resale price that covers your initial investment and refunds those that contributed in the first place. On top of that, whose permissions have you obtained to proceed with this shaky legal venture in the first place?

or

you guys are nuts.

bah, wow there's been so much activity on this topic in no time at all, so my comments are based on the activity and discussion from 24 hrs ago. I found the pinned thread but I'm just leaving my post here, cause this is where the topic started before it split off and was pinned anyway and whatever, it's written now. I've been wanting to call yall nuts about something for ages, don't take that away from me mister E.

And no i'm not drunk. I was tipsy last night as you might have noticed if you saw some dleet sprinkled about the place like pixey dust and fairy wee.

2 sell it in ebay, i think...

Maybe they've read what's been said on the other thread and though f**k it, they may aswell keep AB5 & MFM seen as they've found someone daft enough to buy CW LP for $13.5K :P

Or maybe they they've been asked to take it down.

edit: CW LP gone now also.

Archived