IGNORED

Analog Bubblebath 5, Caustic Window LP, and Melodies from Mars for sale on Discogs

coconuthead

I'd pledge $5 to $10 for a hq digital rip of each of these albums, as long as I knew that the money was making it back to Rephlex in some way. The idea of somebody not related directly to the music earning that kind of dough off somebody else's artistic work leaves a bad taste...

But that's not gonna happen though is it :P

The way I see it is this is a great chance to own some rarities in a lossless format, let's run with it and see how it goes, no doubt Rich would be made aware of it and at the very least, it sends a message to him that we really want some new shit. Whether he'd care or not is another matter but at least it's being pro active rather than just moaning all the time lol

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyway i think its funny that mike P had to pop in here just to let everyone know that this isn't him. imo that whole boc tape fiasco was so blown out of proportion.

It was awesome and the conclusion was fucking delicious. I remember saying at some point in the thread that they should burn the tape and in the end they go ahead and smash it, videoing it for our mirthical gratification. bless 'em. [-;

I'd pledge $5 to $10 for a hq digital rip of each of these albums, as long as I knew that the money was making it back to Rephlex in some way. The idea of somebody not related directly to the music earning that kind of dough off somebody else's artistic work leaves a bad taste...

But that's not gonna happen though is it :P

The way I see it is this is a great chance to own some rarities in a lossless format, let's run with it and see how it goes, no doubt Rich would be made aware of it and at the very least, it sends a message to him that we really want some new shit. Whether he'd care or not is another matter but at least it's being pro active rather than just moaning all the time lol

Amen!

Actually, I think a "let's all buy it" idea is a good idea - I'd be willing to head up such a thing, and let it be known now it would be with the intent of giving Richard the money in exchange for each person who contributes a digital rip of the music.

I think if we did 25.00USD each person, that would require 540 people to contribute - is that realistic?

I'm off to start a poll...

I'm not saying it's a huge deal or anything, but considering that the forum has been somewhat stickler-like on previous issues in the past: that idea doesn't seem legal to me.

I'm not saying it's a huge deal or anything, but considering that the forum has been somewhat stickler-like on previous issues in the past: that idea doesn't seem legal to me.

It's not - I've got an email in to Grant checking on this and we'll see where this goes from there.

The seller DOES have Rephlex's blessing to sell this, so that point is clear.

THE 5th RTM test pressing! A chance to share the music, or keep it to yself. I'll demonstrate it’s authenticity & deliver by any reasonable means. Unplayed, & Rephlex will never press it.

Well, so, ASSUMING this is at all real, and that the seller has Rephlex's blessing to sell this, and that Rephlex and/or Richard also signed off on the "it's okay to share the music" language in the ad, then I guess it makes sense to have some kind of fundraiser thing to try and get the record into the hands of someone who can spread it around.

It just seems like a bizarre situation. If it's Rephlex that needs cash, a good way to make some would be to PRESS AND SELL THESE ALBUMS. Even if it was done in a people-pay-first way like a formal Kickstarter or something.

Again, not trying to cause any trouble, just pointing out what I see is an inconsistency here.

Well, so, ASSUMING this is at all real, and that the seller has Rephlex's blessing to sell this, and that Rephlex and/or Richard also signed off on the "it's okay to share the music" language in the ad, then I guess it makes sense to have some kind of fundraiser thing to try and get the record into the hands of someone who can spread it around.

It just seems like a bizarre situation. If it's Rephlex that needs cash, a good way to make some would be to PRESS AND SELL THESE ALBUMS. Even if it was done in a people-pay-first way like a formal Kickstarter or something.

Again, not trying to cause any trouble, just pointing out what I see is an inconsistency here.

Cylorbbrb selling it maybe?

It's not - I've got an email in to Grant checking on this and we'll see where this goes from there.

I'd only believe it if I heard it straight from Grant or Rich (if I were you, I mean).

I think it has nothing to do with Rephlex, to be honest - I think the seller asked if he could sell his (for whatever reasons) and Grant and co. said OK. They may not even be aware of the language used in the sale. I doubt Rephlex is OK with the potential of this being pirated - then again, they might think at that price, who would go and do such a thing?

Cylorbbrb selling it maybe?

I'd only believe it if I heard it straight from Grant or Rich (if I were you, I mean).

Waiting to hear from Grant... but I trust the seller.

We're talking about a twenty year old album that wasn't considered good enough to release, that's of intense interest, almost reaching mythological status, to maybe a few hundred people at best (296 people told Discogs they want it), but of pretty much no interest to anyone else. Come to Daddy and Windowlicker were very popular because they were very well made, and also catchy. Aside from those, Aphex Twin's work is pretty niche, which seems to be how he goes out of his way to portray his image anyway. In that context, it would make much more sense for them to try to sell, say, a hundred copies at a ludicrous price, only releasing it when they had all those preorders guaranteed in order to avoid the piracy issue, than it would to try to sell a few tens of thousands of copies at a regular album price. Again, going by Discogs, only a few hundred or so people claim to have Rushup Edge and a few thousand claim to have, say, Analogue Bubblebath 3 (it's hard to gauge exactly due to all the different formats). While very few people will care about saying whether they have their albums on such a site, I think they're still niche albums so they'd work better when selling them specifically as such.

Which, really, is why Analord made sense with its fancy binder and small quantities. They'd be best off releasing more deluxe small runs along those lines.

your nuts for even thinking of buying and supporting this sale, i fcuking hate inflated prices, particularly on bad quality recordings. what you want is a new album, it may happen one day, just let it rest, if he does it he does it, if he doesn't so be it

your nuts for even thinking of buying and supporting this sale, i fcuking hate inflated prices, particularly on bad quality recordings. what you want is a new album, it may happen one day, just let it rest, if he does it he does it, if he doesn't so be it

sup rich

We're talking about a twenty year old album that wasn't considered good enough to release, that's of intense interest, almost reaching mythological status, to maybe a few hundred people at best (296 people told Discogs they want it), but of pretty much no interest to anyone else. Come to Daddy and Windowlicker were very popular because they were very well made, and also catchy. Aside from those, Aphex Twin's work is pretty niche, which seems to be how he goes out of his way to portray his image anyway. In that context, it would make much more sense for them to try to sell, say, a hundred copies at a ludicrous price, only releasing it when they had all those preorders guaranteed in order to avoid the piracy issue, than it would to try to sell a few tens of thousands of copies at a regular album price. Again, going by Discogs, only a few hundred or so people claim to have Rushup Edge and a few thousand claim to have, say, Analogue Bubblebath 3 (it's hard to gauge exactly due to all the different formats). While very few people will care about saying whether they have their albums on such a site, I think they're still niche albums so they'd work better when selling them specifically as such.

Which, really, is why Analord made sense with its fancy binder and small quantities. They'd be best off releasing more deluxe small runs along those lines.

I think they'd raise more ire if they did costly limited runs. Outside of the binder, the Analord series was affordable.

I got direct word from Grant early on that this was a legit sale that he knew about and didn't have a problem with, at least as far as AB5 goes. Along with that he had to know about the Caustic Window LP as well.

Bad news: I just got off the phone with Grant. It’s gonna cost at least 30,000 dollars to clear the Muttley sample.

wrashafrashabrash

I got direct word from Grant early on that this was a legit sale that he knew about and didn't have a problem with, at least as far as AB5 goes. Along with that he had to know about the Caustic Window LP as well.

Who ARE you mr?

This sale is SO legit that so far no one who would know anything is on the record except in second-hand or even dodgier ways as saying it’s legit! THAT my friends is extremely legit

EDIT: the way you know it’s legit is that so far it’s impossible to confirm that it’s legit. Therefore, Rephlex. QED

heh yeah, that's what I was thinking too.... no disrespect Joyboss and SPD2. I just want to see a validating email or something.

FLOL they've already accomplished what they set out to do. This is just another hypemobile, just like the official page selling merch again, and afx stopping touring, and the DA shit.... and don't forget the fact magazine thing.

All good signs, in my opinion.

Archived