doublename

Guest fiznuthian

I like his idea.. I think as a means for producing a product that is extremely nutrient dense for a low cost it's a great idea. It might be impossible to tell yet whether or not soylent could function as a total replacement for food. Nutrition is a complex beast.. He's covered a lot of bases with the formula. I would hope that the nutrients and the chosen forms are able to absorb properly when consumed in a mix like that.

I'm pretty sure there is compelling evidence that indicates that you cannot use this to replace your food intake. You may be able to use it as a supplemental replacement when you are busy sort of like a protein shake, but I think it has been shown to be ineffective as total replacement.

Guest skibby

its stupid that people still need to eat, and they eat a lot more than they need to, a LOT more, and somehow manage to virtually starve of nutrients.

I will be purchasing it routinely.

It's not something to totally replace food.

Imagine that you're trying to get to work, and you don't want to go to the grocery. You don't have time to make lunch. That's what it's for. I might use it for week meals when I'm not in the mood to make dinner. Which, when you're busy doing a lot of stuff, is very useful.

I won't use it all the time though. Instead of the gut reaction to whether it is normal/safe, I really want to know if there is any evidence that it causes long term changes to the digestive system, etc.

You might actually be better off just intermittent fasting when you don't have time and eating appropriately as to not become hungry. i.e. high fats, moderate proteins, low carbs/sugars That is, as long as you are getting proper nutrients.

Guest fiznuthian

You might actually be better off just intermittent fasting when you don't have time and eating appropriately as to not become hungry. i.e. high fats, moderate proteins, low carbs/sugars That is, as long as you are getting proper nutrients.

Don't fear the hunger guys.. it's not a terrible sensation in doses.

I'm pretty sure there is compelling evidence that indicates that you cannot use this to replace your food intake. You may be able to use it as a supplemental replacement when you are busy sort of like a protein shake, but I think it has been shown to be ineffective as total replacement.

Cool, you should post the evidence.

I think this would be a great breakfast/lunch solution, but the hellacious flatulence early adopters are reporting makes me worry about sitting in/standing in front of a classroom all day.

what the fuck is the point of being alive if you arent eating tasty food. i didnt even watch the video or know whats going on here, but i seriously hate this cunt.

what the fuck is the point of being alive if you arent eating tasty food. i didnt even watch the video or know whats going on here, but i seriously hate this cunt.

QFT

Cooking can be fun. Eating should almost always be pleasurable and relaxing. Sure there might be the odd breakfast that's rushed, or maybe you have to eat airplane food once in a while, but drinking slurry as a meal? Fuck that noise.

Guest fiznuthian

I'll eat your soylent when you pry my broccoli, asparagus, and brussels sprouts from my cold dead hands! Arrrrggghhh

Wow, that guy is a tool.

Why is it so damn hard for people to cut up veggies, make a salad, or cook themselves a meal?! It doesn't take long, and if it does, practice and get faster. It's pretty pathetic that most people I know can barely cook themselves a meal and have never grown an edible veggie or anything, ever.

If your life has become so hectic you lack the time or skills to cook or prepare food and think you need to chug a bio-slurry made by this idiot to receive sustenance- you really need to reassess some things in life.

Cool, you should post the evidence.

Yeah I said I think cause only heard it secondhand from Dave Asprey saying it wasn't quite up to par yet and he was disappointed about it because he loved the idea. Here is one study.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/what-happens-when-mice-eat-nothing-powdered-food

Here's another article talking about the same study

http://www.policymic.com/articles/90261/scientists-discover-possible-long-term-consequences-of-soylent

What kind of health issues? "Hyperglycemia and related systemic signs of illness, including increases in serum adrenaline, noradrenaline and corticosterone, higher blood pressures (especially diastolic) and increased social interaction behaviors."

Guest fiznuthian

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320514003610

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/206.long

http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(05)00255-6/abstract

Here's the raw ditty from that article.. looking around it now.

Hyperglycemia could be a result of the carbohydrate. Refined down to a powder/liquid it may absorb faster and flood the blood stream with BG?

Archived