IGNORED

Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

My old dubnobass CD was frustratingly quiet - was the original just poorly mastered?

Nope, just proof that that the loudness war killed the dynamics in albums

You reckon? I noticed its quiet-ness in comparison to presses from the same era e.g. the first two Orbital albums

I got phone sex to see me through the emptiness in my 501's...Dirty Epic has never sounded as lush. Listened to the first three of the five cds so far and I'm lovin' it.

This is an amazing re-release! Only bad thing that I can put my finger on is they they didn't include the original Lemon Interrupt - Dirty, with the Akira sample, but cut the ending as all the re-releases has. Damn shame they couldn't clear that sample. The remaster sounds great though, and I absolutely love the bonus disks! :D

Here's a comparison between Mmm Skyscaper .... original version (top) and the new one (bottom):

skysraper.jpg

So on simply viewing the waveform it looks like it's more like it's been 'normalised' with still lots of dynamics and still a bit of headroom, rather than what I feared they'd do and just brickwall it all. Actually on hearing it, the mix is just very different - IIRC they went back to the original midi files and recreated everything with a better mastering chain. So aye, not simply just brickwalled and limited - the mix has kind of just been brought right up to do date. Everything is super clear, so much space between all of the elements in the track - they did good !

Here's a comparison between Mmm Skyscaper .... original version (top) and the new one (bottom):

skysraper.jpg

So on simply viewing the waveform it looks like it's more like it's been 'normalised' with still lots of dynamics and still a bit of headroom, rather than what I feared they'd do and just brickwall it all. Actually on hearing it, the mix is just very different - IIRC they went back to the original midi files and recreated everything with a better mastering chain. So aye, not simply just brickwalled and limited - the mix has kind of just been brought right up to do date. Everything is super clear, so much space between all of the elements in the track - they did good !

Yep. Basically everything has its place in the mix. Of course everything is louder but it sounds amazing.

Great feedback from the royal festival hall gig last night. By all accounts it looked and sounded amazing, like proper great acoustics in there as you would expect.

A few minutes of Underworld at the Royal Festival…:

This is sounding great from all these comments, going to put the 5cd box on my Christmas list, it's not a limited run is it?

I'm sure I also read somewhere they *may* give some of their other albums the same treatment, would love to see a STITI box.

skysraper.jpg

Amazing, thanks so much for posting this! I'm sold!

Wow, this one almost slipped me by! I'm pretty much working my way backwards through the discs, so haven't got to the main album yet (listening to it in roughly chronological order, I guess, so you can see the ideas gestating), but so far it's great! :D The outtakes and early mixes provide a real insight into their creative process, which is invaluable for learning how to hone your craft. I wish more people would release such things, and this is a particularly good album to do it with, partly as it's so good (the original album is one of the ones we've been listening to the most this year in our household... it's aged very well) and partly as it really did seem to just come out of nowhere stylistically, until you listen to the intermediate mixes. The Ride the Sainted Rhythms message board has some other interesting rarities along those lines too... You can really chart their previously hidden progression from Freur through to this album. Fascinating stuff!

Archived