IGNORED

Aphex Twin: New Album 'Syro'

Joyrex

So afaik this hasn't been posted yet, but someone at FACT posted this about the artwork:

Update: As pointed out by Thomas Houthave in the comments, the numbers in the cost rundown are possibly a nod to the way streaming services like Spotify are collected on digital sales reports (or, indeed, simply copied from Aphexs royalties).

Pretty interesting (or was this blatantly obvious? I didn't have a clue anyway) combined with his TOR link, makes a lot of sense (isn't the Spotify logo chartreuse as well? :emotawesomepm9: )

I don't really get him, what does Spotify have to do with sending out promos and organizing listening parties for instance, or am I taking the comparison too literally?

Also, how does "Digitisation from tape archive copy of The Making of Windowlicker" relate to the new album, or is that just something he always wanted to do, lol.

Amount/effort spent on promoting / pressing / making a track/video/album ≠ cash that artists receive from Spotify, at all. Good way of mocking that through this I thought.

Oh, I see what you mean now, makes sense.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

the warp website mentions it as known as the manchester track.

also, where can i preorder the japanese CD but know i'm doing it correctly because theres english text on the page?

also this

Right, I wrote this for Jan earlier but it seems like a few more of you could benefit from it.

*JASONDONERVAN'S GUIDE TO AMAZON JAPAN: YOUR TICKET TO IMPORT SYRO SUCCESS*

1) Go to http://www.amazon.co.jp

2) On the upper most line of options, you will see 'In English' - click it

3) In the search, just pop in 'Syro', it will show on the first page of results (along with many attractive bags for ladies)

4) On the product page, the 'Pre-order: Add to Cart' option should be showing in English, click it

5) This will have added the CD to your cart. Click on the cart icon in the top right (should have a 1 in it)

6) All going well, the site should have stayed in English - you'll see the sub-total (this does not include shipping), just hit proceed to checkout

7) Sign In page: if you don't already have an account, fill out your desired email address, leave the radio button as 'I am a new customer', and hit the sign in button.

8) At this stage it may be different to when I first set up an account (many many years ago), if anything it's never been easier with the added English so you can't really go wrong. You will probably be presented with the usual details for setting up an account - shipping and billing address, but the important part is your payment method...

9) Unless things have changed since I got started, you can only use a credit card as an international payment method. This must be VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, etc. You won't be charged anything additional for using it (note: this may differ depending on which country you're ordering from, I only know what's up for ordering to the UK), but there is no way to pay with PayPal for example, at least as far as I know.

10) Shipping costs can run fairly expensive, even for small items - you really do have to bite the bullet if it's something you're really after. Using SYRO as an example, the CD is 2,300 yen - but the shipping is another 1,300 yen on top. This is £20 all-in in old money, but hey, your hands are tied if you want that Japanese-only version with a sublime obi strip and bonus track.

11) Amazon use global priority shipping as standard - you won't be able to choose slower/cheaper shipping options (you used to, but not anymore) - it's a flat service using DHL. The plus side is that items arrive very quickly... I've had orders arrive within 2 days from Japan to the UK before now, and yet I can wait up to a week for Amazon UK! Another bonus is you'll get a tracking number too, so it's nice to be able to keep an eye on where a delivery is on it's travels.

12) The mandatory credit card can trip people up. If you do have one and have concerns about using it for a Japanese site, even for such a high profile online retailer as Amazon, I can assure you that I've used cards with them for 10 years or so and never once had a problem, so buy with confidence as they say!

Remember your old pal Jasondonervan when your Japanese SYRO hits the doormat in a month's time, and give thanks to the spirit gods of old Japan that it arrived safe and well for you to enjoy.

Guest bitroast

also, where can i preorder the japanese CD but know i'm doing it correctly because theres english text on the page?

also this

Right, I wrote this for Jan earlier but it seems like a few more of you could benefit from it.

3) In the search, just pop in 'Syro', it will show on the first page of results (along with many attractive bags for ladies)

4) On the product page, the 'Pre-order: Add to Cart' option should be showing in English, click it

5) This will have added the CD to your cart. Click on the cart icon in the top right (should have a 1 in it)

6) All going well, the site should have stayed in English - you'll see the sub-total (this does not include shipping), just hit proceed to checkout

7) Sign In page: if you don't already have an account, fill out your desired email address, leave the radio button as 'I am a new customer', and hit the sign in button.

8) At this stage it may be different to when I first set up an account (many many years ago), if anything it's never been easier with the added English so you can't really go wrong. You will probably be presented with the usual details for setting up an account - shipping and billing address, but the important part is your payment method...

9) Unless things have changed since I got started, you can only use a credit card as an international payment method. This must be VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, etc. You won't be charged anything additional for using it (note: this may differ depending on which country you're ordering from, I only know what's up for ordering to the UK), but there is no way to pay with PayPal for example, at least as far as I know.

10) Shipping costs can run fairly expensive, even for small items - you really do have to bite the bullet if it's something you're really after. Using SYRO as an example, the CD is 2,300 yen - but the shipping is another 1,300 yen on top. This is £20 all-in in old money, but hey, your hands are tied if you want that Japanese-only version with a sublime obi strip and bonus track.

11) Amazon use global priority shipping as standard - you won't be able to choose slower/cheaper shipping options (you used to, but not anymore) - it's a flat service using DHL. The plus side is that items arrive very quickly... I've had orders arrive within 2 days from Japan to the UK before now, and yet I can wait up to a week for Amazon UK! Another bonus is you'll get a tracking number too, so it's nice to be able to keep an eye on where a delivery is on it's travels.

12) The mandatory credit card can trip people up. If you do have one and have concerns about using it for a Japanese site, even for such a high profile online retailer as Amazon, I can assure you that I've used cards with them for 10 years or so and never once had a problem, so buy with confidence as they say!

Remember your old pal Jasondonervan when your Japanese SYRO hits the doormat in a month's time, and give thanks to the spirit gods of old Japan that it arrived safe and well for you to enjoy.

I hate obi strips. everytime I get a second hand record or whatever that has the obistrip in pristine mint condition (which is pretty often, second hand Japanese records are everywhere in record stores here) I throw that obi strip out. I don't have time to give a shit about a flimsy piece of paper with promotional Japanese text on it. fuck 'mint condition', i'm happy with 'very good'.

Guest bitroast

It was maybe mentioned earlier in this thread but it looks like the artwork for Syro on Boomkat looks a bit different.

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/1089122-aphex-twin-syro

lol. one of the costs on the cover is '12 page digipack'. if the album really does come with 12 pages of artwork, i'm guessing here it's going to be 12 pages of text and costs.

also this

I hate obi strips. everytime I get a second hand record or whatever that has the obistrip in pristine mint condition (which is pretty often, second hand Japanese records are everywhere in record stores here) I throw that obi strip out. I don't have time to give a shit about a flimsy piece of paper with promotional Japanese text on it. fuck 'mint condition', i'm happy with 'very good'.

Does your amazon.ca/us/uk account not work for JP? It's not accepting my credentials.

Guest bitroast

I couldn't find the 'In English' option from Step 2 and gave up and started thinking about obi strips and how stupid I think obi strips are.

Guest jasondonervan

Does your amazon.ca/us/uk account not work for JP? It's not accepting my credentials.

No, you'll need to set up a new account for Amazon Japan. You can use the same email address though.

No, you'll need to set up a new account for Amazon Japan. You can use the same email address though.

Thanks man. Also I'm not familiar with the way uh... zones work .... I know DVDs from some countries won't play.

It's a non issue with CDs right?

Guest bitroast

Thanks man. Also I'm not familiar with the way uh... zones work .... I know DVDs from some countries won't play.

nope !

Guest jasondonervan

Absolutely not a problem. I've got a stack of BRC CDs over there *points* and every one of 'em plays just fine :music:

Guest bitroast

It was maybe mentioned earlier in this thread but it looks like the artwork for Syro on Boomkat looks a bit different.

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/1089122-aphex-twin-syro

Huh well if the round thing is only a sticker on the shrink wrap, then yes the album cover does suck.

I normally hate stickers but this will be one instance where that sticker is not going anywhere.

Guest skibby

i whole heartedly approve of the cover art, track names, presale and limited edition print concept.

tried to find an appropriate image to relay the feel

proud+(6).jpg

Archived