IGNORED

hi i'm cygnus, AMA

cygnus

Serious Question: What other influences besides detroit techno artists do you have? I know you mentioned comic books and graphic novels, do they also play a part in your productions? Like say tell a story through your music based on a what you've read?

Silly Question: Have you ever photobombed complete strangers? I did today, I saw a couple taking a picture while I was walking towards them from behind... I stopped off to the side of them from behind and scratched my nuts!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is awesome man, glad you are doing this:

Can we have more details on your UFO sighting experiences?

Have you ever read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and if so what did you think of it?

In your opinion, what makes tarot reading an effective psychological tool for the better understanding of ourselves? Or at the opposite end of this question, is it an effective psychological tool at all?

What do you think are the implications of Aphex Twin releasing an album in today's musical climate? Do you think it will help change the paradigm of popular music at the moment or further push experimental music to the background? In your opinion is Syro, if we are to judge that Minipops 67 is indicative of the sound the album will be comprised of, a progression in AFX's music?

yeah of course. the first time i was in middle school, in a parking lot at st marks. i was with my mother and my friend nathan walking to the car , i noticed an orange , glowing triangular object in the sky, floating below the clouds the same way sea otters swim right under the ice sheets, sort of clinging to them but dipping down from time to time

it performed impossible maneuvers, changing trajectories, sometimes 45degrees without slowing down. it left no trail and made no sound so no use of jet propulsion. very advanced technology. in the last moments it rose upward through the clouds and disappeared from sight

the second time i was driving to my girlfriend-at-the-times house in ft worth texas on highway 30. do you know where that big gexa energy pavillion sign is ? there were cars pulled over on the side of the road, and people pointing upwards out of their car windows. i slowed so i wouldnt rear-end anyone and looked up to see what at first i thought was a b2 bomber or something like that but it was travelling way too slow, maybe at the pace of a hot-air balloon. this one had many different colored lights on it and it spun in circles very slowly, had more "sides" and was maybe the size of two b2's, there were 2 or 3 strange looking "stems" with lights on them, hanging from the ship like antenna. i stopped to pull over and take a look but there were cars behind me honking for me to go so i just drove on. this ship made no sound i could hear

i haven't read that book, i will pick it up ! (or lemme borrow it)

the tarot is an interesting device for re-framing situations so we can gather new data from them. like for example i was doing a reading on my friend in berlin over skype, just the other day, (he might read this actually, i think he posts here), and he was having a lot of issues. i mean by the end of our session (which lasted an hour) his change in body language was like comparing a deflated clown-shaped-balloon to rick james if he were just elected president . i think what the tarot does is it reframes the way a person sees a situation. number one is re-orienting a persons brain to really believe that they can reframe a situation and their previously drawn conclusions may have been wrong. but it goes deeper because of the organization of the cards makes a person look for certain traits in themselves people, its way more complex than i can put to words.

the cards unlock the mind/soul, whatever the thing is, the prism/brain, whatever. words kills the actual thing. i have communicated with extra terrestrials & disembodied "souls" (there is no word for it) with the help of the tarot and other methodologies. so to answer your question; the MIND is the effective psychological tool, the tarot is a catalyst, one of many. certain individuals may not even require the help. if you have done it too you know what it's like, the mundaneness and banality of it is almost stupefying, and people in other dimensions & zones are always like, "okay, what kind of drama were you expecting here? i have always been right here and we have always been in contact, what exactly is it that you want" etc. i know i said AMA but this is really all i'd like to say about this

about aphex/syro/climate - it is easy for us to forget how profoundly radical the music is we listen to. i havent heard syro but ppl are saying it's pretty acceptable. no matter, pop music is the most conservative, puritanical absurdity in the world, and our guys rdj, sb,rb,gd,jd,drex,ja, their albums always cross that threshold. they just would not be trusted by the people who vault people into the pop world. i mean, even with skrillex, no hate on him or anything like that, he's doing his thing which is great - but from my point of view that's not really an example of experimental or abrasive music creeping into the popular light, cause i mean that music is still very safe.

like can you imagine some 11 year old girl from Plano or Richardson listening to Tac Lacora full volume just walking around the park? on a nice summer day? haha. i mean that music is completely unidentifiable. its thus probably 1,000,000% more scary than kanye west saying "I want to fuck my wife hard on the kitchen sink", because you can at least identify why that's bad and weird or whatever. you also get to strengthen your own sense of authority or whatever in saying that 'this is weird, this is strange, it doesnt sound right', and thats what the pop world is rly all about to me. maybe im wrong? idk, i mean you can't even categorize the madness that autechre and afx get into, its unpredictable. so i dont think that level of music will ever become acceptable because what's acceptable has to be safe. i hope i understood your question and answered it appropriately. all thats just IMHO too i actually don't know much about anything at all related to industry/scene/music/people/

Serious Question: What other influences besides detroit techno artists do you have? I know you mentioned comic books and graphic novels, do they also play a part in your productions? Like say tell a story through your music based on a what you've read?

Silly Question: Have you ever photobombed complete strangers? I did today, I saw a couple taking a picture while I was walking towards them from behind... I stopped off to the side of them from behind and scratched my nuts!

Comics are a massive influence on me. Graphic novels, books, comics are probably the biggest, probably more so than the music. When I first heard juan atkins I was like, "Ok, this is the music from Akira". I was big into the Aliens graphic novels too (need to get the omnibus), so the first time i heard autechre, it was "overand", and I was like "ok this music is from that one chapter". I know a lot of other people probably feel this way too. Not so much telling a story but the themes and ideas share a dimension with the images the characters the stories, etc.

My first release on CPU was about Count Zero, the sequel to Neuromancer, and I named it after one of the main characters in the book, and its just kind of a soundtrack to the count zero movie which will never be made https://bleep.com/release/38419-cygnus-newmark-phase

william gibson actually owns a copy of it, proof:

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/278763477085065216

im really into photobombing people,

but it always gives me a degree of anxiety, cause i'll probably never see the picture.

but yeah like attractive couples taking photographs? fuck that noise i'm bringing the ruckus

A special lottery is to be held to select the student who will live in the only deluxe room in a dormitory. There are mathMCq1_1.png seniors, mathMCq1_2.png juniors, and mathMCq1_3.png sophomores who applied. Each senior's name is placed in the lottery mathMCq1_4.png times; each junior's name, mathMCq1_5.png times; and each sophomore's name, mathMCq1_6.png time. What is the probability that a senior's name will be chosen?

Hi Mr Cygnus....

I asked a question earlier that would have spoken to your morals and beliefs but you didn't answer it.

Instead, would you name my favorite drinking glass?

Cheers =)

Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?

Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?

Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?

Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

Is it true that in the dark all cats are black?

A special lottery is to be held to select the student who will live in the only deluxe room in a dormitory. There are mathMCq1_1.png seniors, mathMCq1_2.png juniors, and mathMCq1_3.png sophomores who applied. Each senior's name is placed in the lottery mathMCq1_4.png times; each junior's name, mathMCq1_5.png times; and each sophomore's name, mathMCq1_6.png time. What is the probability that a senior's name will be chosen?

im so bad at math man

well they are probably going to give it to the student with the richest parents right ?

Hi Mr Cygnus....

I asked a question earlier that would have spoken to your morals and beliefs but you didn't answer it.

Instead, would you name my favorite drinking glass?

Cheers =)

what the horse thing? thats gross

your goblets' name is now "Lusus" (Loo-suss)

Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?

Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?

Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?

Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

Is it true that in the dark all cats are black?

yeah i don't drink as much as i used to. i kinda had no choice, 2-day-long hangovers are horrible. is there anything worse than a hangover?

in the dark all cats have shiny eyes

amazing answers Phil, thanks man. And yes you can borrow it.

did i see that youre playing with merli y spumante @ 2 bronze doors next week? im so going to that show

im sad tho cause matt and i were talking about doing a show together there,,, hope they have us play there together sometime the same night

remember when i walked into your store with gerald and michaela? u really should have seen your face

did i see that youre playing with merli y spumante @ 2 bronze doors next week? im so going to that show

im sad tho cause matt and i were talking about doing a show together there,,, hope they have us play there together sometime the same night

remember when i walked into your store with gerald and michaela? u really should have seen your face

How much of a cut do you get for digital downloads on bleep? (the vinyl pricing is probably complicated.)

I try to buy stuff so that the artist gets the most money; e.g., whenever possible, I buy via bandcamp.

(sorry if this info is public somewhere; I googled a few times without success.)

Yeah man, it should be an awesome show, the first Merli & Spumante show I saw was amazing!! I have a feeling they are going to keep playing so we should all try to do our thangs at TBDs, I want to do some solo Atop stuff with ya. I will be your opener man, all hail the Dark Lord!

Yeah dude, was just thinking back to that glorious day. I thought I was dreaming. If you wouldn't have been there, well they wouldn't have either but lets just say they were in my store without you, I would have totally thought I was asleep and having the best work dream ever......well besides the time Jessica Biel came through my line, or the time I turned around and there was Robert Duvall in my friend's line behind me. I hope Gerald appreciated my face. Michaela was so sweet, she's a witch right? A bad ass Bavarian Witch Goddess that makes electro. I want to remember her as such.

How much of a cut do you get for digital downloads on bleep? (the vinyl pricing is probably complicated.)

I try to buy stuff so that the artist gets the most money; e.g., whenever possible, I buy via bandcamp.

(sorry if this info is public somewhere; I googled a few times without success.)

if you want to buy some of my music directly you can go here

http://cygnusat.bandcamp.com/

Who's your favorite movie director?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i guess i'd say mamorou oshii but it kinda ended after ghost in the shell right?

id say kubrick but i also obviously mean i like tarkovsky too right? theres a lot of movies i like

who is yours?

Kubrick and Lynch :)

yeah i could watch twin peaks any day. and i dont even really know why

my dude

Hi!

Any tips for mixing? Making home made samples usable?

hmmmm i dont really do a lot of sampling...

when u say mixing do u mean like getting different sounds to work with each other?

if so then probably best to EQ a lot , make sure you are eliminating unwanted frequencies from sounds, boosting frequencies in areas you want . kick drums dont have to have a lot of bass to be good sounding,like for ex if your bassline plays well with your kick drum, you can EQ them both to share space in the mix and you can have the bass notes be low-dominant. you can play them simultaneously and get an idea of what they will sound like when they fall on the same step for example. i always do that

i dont do much of this myself but its also good to stereo mix, thinking of the two speakers as sharing bandwith and exploiting the fact that u have two speakers. it can be easy to forget that since they are both playing the same thing by default ,etc

there is a wealth of resources online and also probably many ppl here on watmm who could give you many great tips on mixing. lots of stuff on youtube if you can stomach some very bad music. im still learning myself. also, if available to you, dont be afraid to reach out to popular/successful artists and ask them for tips. in my experience theyre very nice and willing to help and share notes and mixing secrets its not like some kind of arcane or holy secret

edit: yeah and btw i realize i answered your question "got any mixing tips?" with "mix more" , but thats really just cause im learning myself about that area and have a lot of ignorance there sry

I'm an english major, so I like to have some light reading for relaxation. By light reading I mean enjoyable, how academic it is isn't important to me, because I get exhausted reading boring shit or whatever. I haven't read many comics / graphic novels at all. I read Watchmen in highschool like most people, and The Killing Joke was cool. I was thinking about buying The Saga of the Swamp Thing on the Alan Moore tip, but comics are prohibitively expensive. Any comic / graphic novel recs for someone who hasn't read shit? I'm a voracious reader.

Can you talk a bit about how you got hooked up with CPU?

yeah do you know barry forbes? he does up digital https://soundcloud.com/up-digital-dj

he & chris smith (sheffieldbleep) had been talking about the startup of CPU I guess sometime in early 2012 and shortly after barry said chris wanted to get in touch with me , traded contacts and chris told me about CPU and asked if i wanted to do the first album for the label and i was like hell yes etc. i actually (because im dumb) didnt put together that chris was sheffieldbleep until after newmark phase came out

the first music I heard of yours was really glitched out sort of AE inspired stuff years ago on xltronic do you have any plans to re-release any of that or compile it into something?

your new 12" is ridiculously catchy I especially like the lyrics.

can you recommend any other austin/texas based electronic music that we should check out?

Hi!

Any tips for mixing? Making home made samples usable?

hmmmm i dont really do a lot of sampling...

when u say mixing do u mean like getting different sounds to work with each other?

if so then probably best to EQ a lot , make sure you are eliminating unwanted frequencies from sounds, boosting frequencies in areas you want . kick drums dont have to have a lot of bass to be good sounding,like for ex if your bassline plays well with your kick drum, you can EQ them both to share space in the mix and you can have the bass notes be low-dominant. you can play them simultaneously and get an idea of what they will sound like when they fall on the same step for example. i always do that

i dont do much of this myself but its also good to stereo mix, thinking of the two speakers as sharing bandwith and exploiting the fact that u have two speakers. it can be easy to forget that since they are both playing the same thing by default ,etc

there is a wealth of resources online and also probably many ppl here on watmm who could give you many great tips on mixing. lots of stuff on youtube if you can stomach some very bad music. im still learning myself. also, if available to you, dont be afraid to reach out to popular/successful artists and ask them for tips. in my experience theyre very nice and willing to help and share notes and mixing secrets its not like some kind of arcane or holy secret

edit: yeah and btw i realize i answered your question "got any mixing tips?" with "mix more" , but thats really just cause im learning myself about that area and have a lot of ignorance there sry

Thanks, bro.

I'm an english major, so I like to have some light reading for relaxation. By light reading I mean enjoyable, how academic it is isn't important to me, because I get exhausted reading boring shit or whatever. I haven't read many comics / graphic novels at all. I read Watchmen in highschool like most people, and The Killing Joke was cool. I was thinking about buying The Saga of the Swamp Thing on the Alan Moore tip, but comics are prohibitively expensive. Any comic / graphic novel recs for someone who hasn't read shit? I'm a voracious reader.

good god, yeah , jesus, theres so much

akira of course, is a graphic novel staple. i'd start with that . its prob the best i've ever read. the incal by jodorowsky & moebius

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AJean%20Giraud

you'd like New X Men by Grant Morrison, also "Filth" by Grant Morrison. pure genius. Grant Morrison has done all of DC and Marvel's best shit

Sandman Series, Aliens Omnibus (great atmospheric horror/science), probably had the hugest influence on me, even tho some of the writing is bad. the atmosphere is rich and there's so much to read. i started reading that shit when i was 11 which prob explains a few things

"Finder" by McNeil, great class-warfare sci-fi aboriginal thriller graphic novel, absolutely brilliant. must-read

"Cerebus" by Dave sim, 100 Bullets by Russo & Azirello, "The Exotics" by Moebius (AWESOME!!!!!!!)",

I'm into Maruo Suehiro, he's a Japanese guy who has done stuff like "Ultra Gash Inferno" - i don't really reccomend reading it unless you're ok with some severely challenging images themes and ideas (things that end in _____philia) , gore, absolute disregard for humanity and etc, its got just about everything. and you know as much as i'm careful to reccomend this guy it is important to look at it in a context, cause ultimately most of his stuff is about WW2 era Japan and whatever unseen depravity which didn't make the history books.it's all very twisted, unreal and psychotic but it seems real. careful with that one i dont want anybody cussing me out for reading it haha

s.booth got me on ABC Warriors by Pat Mills and the rest of that catalogue ,brilliant artwork

Planetoid by Kevin Garing was short but very good, it's an easy read.. theres no book yet tho. I liked another recent one called Spaceman also done by Azarello and Risso (who did 100 bullets)

the first music I heard of yours was really glitched out sort of AE inspired stuff years ago on xltronic do you have any plans to re-release any of that or compile it into something?

your new 12" is ridiculously catchy I especially like the lyrics.

can you recommend any other austin/texas based electronic music that we should check out?

ah man, yeah, i dont know, i don't think that stuff is really any good, but maybe one day i'd shop it around and see if someone to put a few of those on a 12"

yeah definitely, i linked this earlier but House of Mutes is based in Austin and they have a comp coming out with lots of texas artist, a handful from austin

Bill Converse is really the one, he is one of my good friends and makes some wicked music

http://obsoletefuture.bandcamp.com/album/meditations-industry <----- SO GOOD

his alienself album abolutely slayed me http://obsoletefuture.bandcamp.com/album/alienself

as for electro from austin all else i can come up with now are Bodytronix but they haven't released anything! bodytronix is Eric Archer and Eric Clysdale , Eric Archer is actually the guy who builds the Drone Commander synth, the Grendal Formant Filter. the only thing theyve released is on that House of Mutes compilation but I'm not sure when that's released - you can look at that here http://obsoletefuture.bandcamp.com/album/house-of-mutes-vol-1-of007

MKG Systems, TX Connect, Submersible Machines, Convextion (no, hes not from scandanavia hahaha) , Plastic Sleeves, Mannequinz, Merli y Spumante

Archived