IGNORED

Two Aphex Twin demo tapes

Mag

Guest Drahken

Interesting. I've had a track named Plexor since about 99/00 era that I assumed was another fake like violin solo. I don't even remember how I came upon it but it was probably via an ftp server back when that was the hip way of sharing things.

Digeridoo 12" on R&S was also credited to The Aphex Twin

Those two cassette types are also historically correct for 1991 - the handwriting looks correct - no reason to doubt the authenticity of these demos

Mat Jarvis has been around for a long time, his album as the other 'Gas' on em:t was excellent. If he got these from Dave Thompson, they're on the level. So I guess Time/Emit may have passed on an opportunity to sign Aphex Twin.

Handwritten in semi-futuristic square lettering are contact phone numbers and address,
‘All tracks by The Aphex Twin’,
and a note that
‘Quality of recording is kept minimal for my protection’

That's a funny note, don't steal my music you thieves, but do consider me for release on your label.

Everything's "The" when starting out. The Aphex Twin, The Prodigy, The Star Wars, The Facebook. Clearly, this was before James met Sean Parker. :)

egoretop from funkysouls found it, so all praise to him!)

i wonder if the actual decline of many labels to release his early stuff pushed richard and grant to open their own label with blackjack and hookers, so maybe we should thank them for that. But "HAHA" for not singing THE aphex twin, i guess it was the biggest mistake of their life. Could be a destiny changer for a label and they would not go bankrupt in 98

They never called themselves "The Pop Will Eat Itself" to my knowledge, that's just their cure for sanity, so it's the Pop Will Eat Itself cure for sanity. Like how you can join James in his third Analogue Bubblebath, it's just a fun sentence to introduce the album name in a natural sounding context.

PWEI are a great band though! :D Oh, and they did occasionally call themselves the Poppies.

Guest Drahken

Interesting. I've had a track named Plexor since about 99/00 era that I assumed was another fake like violin solo. I don't even remember how I came upon it but it was probably via an ftp server back when that was the hip way of sharing things.

So I performed some dark necromancy on an 8 gb hard drive to track this down. Sadly I was mistaken on the name, the track I have is called Plexus. Its a synthy/organ track kinda reminiscent of popcorn or a carnivalish song, 1:36 in length. Listening after 10 years, and having assumed it fake, I'm starting to think it might be not be after all. Anyone else ever come across this one?

Archived