IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still am a little bit tripped out by the drum loop editing on those first two tracks though.

I can't quite hear it on those tracks. What makes you think they're edited? The backwards intro and the band pass filtered clavinet (or whatever) on track one do not sounding quite "live and acoustic", though.

More trainspotting:

The kick on hat 2b 2012b sounds like it's opening a gate for a deep bass note, that long and even sustain doesn't quite sound like the natural envelope of a kick drum.

I am having a hard time understanding why so many people keep on referring to an EP as an album.

It's like no-one even went to school I give up :(

lol what school teaches the difference between an EP and an album?

The difference is arbitrary. What about the Autechre 'EPs' that are album length? Or hardcore albums that are 25mins long and contain the same amount of tracks as CCAI? Or prog albums where there are only 3–5 long tracks?

Luigi Russolo made experimental machine music literally over 100 years ago.

true but my problem with that kind of machine music (cf. Conlon Nancarrow; I haven't heard any Russolo pieces) is that it's highly concept-based, ie. the idea is there but the actual pieces produced are rubbish imo.

Exactly! "Russolo did it first", yeah, right, of course, but he never composed a song that made people cry or smile. And now we have a contemporary composer of great music doing it instead of a conceptual artist so that's cool. :)

The beat on diskhat1 reminds me of a Vibert groove.

Oh I know I'm just feeling extra spry today.

Anyone considered doing this?

1. Minipops 67 (Source Field Mix)

2. diskhat ALL prepared1mixed 13

3. Xmas_Evet10 (Thanaton3 Mix)

4. snar2

5. Produk 29

6. diskhat1

7. 4 Bit 9d Api+e+6

8. piano un1 arpej

9. 180db_

10. DISKPREPT4

11. Circlont6a (Syrobonkus Mix)

12. hat 2b 2012b

13. Fz Pseudotimestretch+e+3

14. disk aud1_12

15. Circlont14 (Shrymoming Mix)

16. 0035 1-Audio

17. Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)

18. disk prep calrec2 barn dance [slo]

19. Papat4 (Pineal Mix)

20. DISKPREPT1

21. S950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix)

22. diskhat2

23. Aisatsana

24. piano un10 it happened

25. Marchromt30a Edit 2b 96

26. hat5c 0001 rec-4

I don't think any of those songs should have been on Syro. This is very different material, more skeletal, less groovy, colder, etc., it has nothing to do with Syro and for me it would have made Syro weaker. But I understand why those who think Druqks is the ultimate Aphex album would have wanted those tracks on Syro, to make it sound like Druqks part 2.

this album has all the devil afx clocks, monkey drummers and shroom pianos i could hope for :catsuicide:

the sound of the instruments is just fantastic and it looks like afx is trying to tell us a story again

better then anything i could of hoped for right now :catcry:

drukqs mass free kid

drukqs

I still am a little bit tripped out by the drum loop editing on those first two tracks though.

I can't quite hear it on those tracks. What makes you think they're edited? The backwards intro and the band pass filtered clavinet (or whatever) on track one do not sounding quite "live and acoustic", though.

More trainspotting:

The kick on hat 2b 2012b sounds like it's opening a gate for a deep bass note, that long and even sustain doesn't quite sound like the natural envelope of a kick drum.

the bottom layer drum loop sounds like its looped to me, especially on track 3. I guess my complaint is it sounds no more 'live' than someone sampling a looped break if its just a robot break that has been looped, do you know what i mean?

More trainspotting:

the bottom layer drum loop sounds like its lopped to me, especially on track 3. I guess my complaint is it sounds no more 'live' than someone sampling a looped break if its just a robot break that has been looped, do you know what i mean?

i can't hear it it and it might be possible but it does not really matter

the bottom layer drum loop sounds like its lopped to me, especially on track 3. I guess my complaint is it sounds no more 'live' than someone sampling a looped break if its just a robot break that has been looped, do you know what i mean?

Yeah, I agree that they sound quite a bit "flatter" than, say, diskhat2 or hat5c.

Edit: Track 3 sounds like it has a hard edit on the turnaround of every four bars, the sustain on the syncopated snare is noticeably shorter. Could be a loop, yeah.

More trainspotting:

i can't hear it it and it might be possible but it does not really matter

it doesn't matter at all really, just a nitpick I have. The tracks on here which don't have any edits at all (that I can hear) are stronger tracks I think. I think the raw live and in the moment approach to this EP is where it reaches its strongest points. In some ways it even sounds rawer/more live than Pierre Bastien's stuff, which i wasn't expecting. Although im sure this EP is sequenced very meticulously, i don't think Richard is using much mechanical randomness/fluctuation like Pierre does when he uses a rotating peg cylinder to play a keyboard, stuff like that. There are some moments of random mechanical noise in the last track, which i still haven't wrapped my head around.. In terms of the more breakbeat oriented tracks the very last track is also my favorite

I want more eps like that, where Aphex is conducting a specific experiment and stick to it. Also I love the fact that he isn't trying to show off with insane beats because he's got robots at his disposal... That would have been so obvious and predictable. Instead, the music is simple, focussed, to the point and very aphexy.

Archived