IGNORED

Earth Entering New Extinction Phase

BCM

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont buy into it and imo those kinds of headlines are sensationalism

i'm sure what i just said will be disagreed with by probably over 90% of watmmrs however, but watever, i said it

i dont buy into it and imo those kinds of headlines are sensationalism

i'm sure what i just said will be disagreed with by probably over 90% of watmmrs however, but watever, i said it

No I'm with ya (a bit)

Studies shouldn't be taken as gospel

At least not before the scientific community has had its chance to mull over the findings

Over-confidence in less-than-robust findings lead to Gladwellian pseudo-scientific grandiosity

heh, are you trying to express some notion that my feelings on this has anything at all to do with god?

havent i told you before that im pretty much atheist?

No, that wasn't directed at you

I wrote that before I read yr post

I just turned 28 and have nowhere near the emotional maturity it would take to be a father. I see it as a blessing.

i just find it absolutely, i mean seriously mind blowingly amusing and also kind of crazy, that probably close to if not a majority of people who come to this place have ideas and entertain notions such as there being some kind of shadowy NWO or illuminati group, trying to control/change the world, but apparently none of these people consider that all these articles talking about how we are killing the planet and now the world govs are going to have to take drastic measures, that that might have anything at all to do with your fabled NWO. like the mere idea that a big movement which has clear intentions of literally changing world economies, changing everyones way of life, no. no way that could have any at all connection to a shady group who wants to... change... the world.

maybe lets get a little bit more creative with our bullshit conspiracy theories guys, and maybe start connecting some dots that are right in front of our faces?

heh, are you trying to express some notion that my feelings on this has anything at all to do with god?

havent i told you before that im pretty much atheist?

No, that wasn't directed at you
I wrote that before I read yr post

ah, k

So Mister E, are you suggesting that a shadowy NWO is creating the illusion of climate change to introduce artificial scarcity to rip us all off even more?

i just find it absolutely, i mean seriously mind blowingly amusing and also kind of crazy, that probably close to if not a majority of people who come to this place have ideas and entertain notions such as there being some kind of shadowy NWO or illuminati group, trying to control/change the world, but apparently none of these people consider that all these articles talking about how we are killing the planet and now the world govs are going to have to take drastic measures, that that might have anything at all to do with your fabled NWO. like the mere idea that a big movement which has clear intentions of literally changing world economies, changing everyones way of life, no. no way that could have any at all connection to a shady group who wants to... change... the world.

maybe lets get a little bit more creative with our bullshit conspiracy theories guys, and maybe start connecting some dots that are right in front of our faces?

Conspiratorial social critiques aside, humanity *is* responsible for demolishing biodiversity by re-purposing massive swathes of land and hunting oceanic life in an entirely uncontrolled sense. When keystone species are lost or pervading features of an environment are tampered with even a small amount, complex systems integral to life begin to collapse in a manner that we are only beginning to fathom: anthropogenic ocean acidification eliminating the ability of shellfish to produce their shells being one of the more dire examples. Think of how many animals depend on swarms of krill and just keep working your way down the chain...

It's much more difficult to discount headlines like this as pure social manipulation when you are acutely aware of how the natural environment around you has changed since you were a child.

honeslty dont care. humans as an entire species have proven themselves mostly incapable of fitting into the food chain on a polite, sustainable level like every other animal does, and therefore if we wipe ourselves out it will be entirely justified.

im still reeling from the fact that a quarter of the people that live in my country actually woke up on the 14th of may 2015, walked out their house, and voted for the utterly amorale fucking scum that is the conservative party. my lifelong belief that people are by and large well meaning, decent people was shattered.

This is not even a modern or Western thing. It's been going on since the last ice age. Where ever humans go they tend to wipe out bunch species.

The Holocene extinction, sometimes called the Sixth Extinction, is a name proposed to describe the currently ongoing extinction event of species during the present Holocene epoch (since around 10,000 BCE) mainly due to human activity.

The Holocene extinction includes the disappearance of large mammals known as megafauna, starting between 9,000 and 13,000 years ago, the end of the last Ice Age.

I don't see it as a huge concern as long as the planet stays habitable for us and those species that work synergistically with humans. This type of science and scaremongering headlines happens all the time, because their paychecks depend on it.

Barring a catastrophe we will be multi-planetary in a big way in less than a century. Are we going to take every species with us even if we terraform? Fuck no.

As long as earth stays habitable and we start drawing back on pollution and non-renewables we will be ok. (barring a catastrophe) even then though we'd probably make it through most cataclysmic events as a species, but our numbers and current state of technology would be greatly diminished for quite some time.

But really now, if we don't have a measure in place to account for super volcanoes, asteroids, and nuclear rector meltdowns should we be getting our panties all wadded up about the possible impacts of extinctions? My opinion is not really. We are already working on more renewables, less pollution, etc. etc. We just need to keep the pressure on, and move forward.

I'm pessimistic about a great deal of things. But, one thing I remain optimistic about is that long after humans have wiped themselves off the planet, it'll keep on truckin' and flourish anew.

Bring it on Earth, you son of a bitch. If we're going down, you're gonna need tens of millions of years to recover - that'll show you.

Archived