IGNORED

Earth Entering New Extinction Phase

BCM

what is it about watmm that you cant just get away from it, i tried multiple times to leave but i always come back.

Maybe the only way is that thing they use in MIB to erase memory, even then i think there will always be the instinct to come back.

WATMM is like an abusive husband and the user, the wife who is afraid to leave.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only read/skimmed bits of the thread (good lord is some of it so ridiculous; be ashamed, children!), so excuse me if this has been discussed.

The beginnings and growth of higher order intelligence seem to be, at least in our case, a flashpoint for triggering a mass extinction. As someone on Page 1 pointed out, the Holocene extinction phase began about 10,000 years ago, and things are just getting worse the more we look at and study it all. In my mind this is a bit similar to any other event that has triggered an extinction in the past; and we've got no reason to think aftermath will be different. And of course by that, I mean that life will continue on in leaps and bounds. I'm not trying to excuse away destroying species, I'm simply stating that it isn't surprising what has happened/is happening. And ultimately, things will level out one way or another, and return to some kind of temporary balance; that's what life (and hell even the physical makeup of the universe) tends towards at all times.

Basically, as fucked up as what our impact has been, we're just a blip in the big picture. Life will continue on just fine with or without us, with or without our continued destruction of species, etc.

Only read/skimmed bits of the thread (good lord is some of it so ridiculous; be ashamed, children!)

Yeah sorry about that. I just have minimal tolerance for trolls who start bullying others, especially when they seldom post here. I don't like to be a nuisance, but I felt something had to be done.

if only someone could just print out the Bullwallet covers tumblr and shoot it out into space in a glossy plastic tube signed by Sean and Rob, then at least our species can die honorably leaving a worthy legacy. the wretched, self-defeating enterprise that is the human race will have been worth all the suffering and bloodshed and misery. it'll have been worth it.

o-WOMAN-CRYING-facebook.jpg

Guest WNS000

Just one more reply, I don't agree with you LimpyLoo and I think your opinion has some serious logical and factual flaws of psychological/neurological nature (some of them were already pointed out by coax).

Thank you for the discussion, guys. It was enriching. I will now try my best and abandon this thread (it is harder than one might think - watmm is like some kind of OCD with addiction together) as it is very demanding to read and process everything. Sorry for flooding you with pessimism, guys, couldn't help it. Hopefully there will be no such thought-provoking thread for a long time because thinking about a wattm thread while trying to get my job done sucks.

Just one more reply, I don't agree with you LimpyLoo and I think your opinion has some serious logical and factual flaws of psychological/neurological nature (some of them were already pointed out by coax).

Thank you for the discussion, guys. It was enriching. I will now try my best and abandon this thread (it is harder than one might think - watmm is like some kind of OCD with addiction together) as it is very demanding to read and process everything. Sorry for flooding you with pessimism, guys, couldn't help it. Hopefully there will be no such thought-provoking thread for a long time because thinking about a wattm thread while trying to get my job done sucks.

Yeah i mean you really just sound like a depressed person. Again, the day I meet a happy anti-natalist is the day I will immediately abandon the 'personal pessimism' hypothesis.

the day I meet someone who actually quits WATMM when they say they're going to is the day I will immediately stop with all these post-african repetitions.

If you really wanna play the anti-natalism game, then...

Yes it's true that one can't consent to their being conceived. But people can commit suicide whenever they want. Anti-natalism seems to presuppose that people are somehow required to live out their life in its entirety. (Paradoxically, it's mostly white middle-class men who commit suicide, rather than much worse-off people...definitely a bit of info worth adding to the equation)

But most of all, anti-natalism is just garden-variety pessimism elevated to the level of a philosophical system. I've never heard of a happy anti-natalist. People just take their personal neuroses and explode them into some grandiose pseudo-insight. There's that old psychoanalysis chestnut: when people talk about human nature, what they're really talking about is themselves...

Anyway, on balance I think life is clearly worth living.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this though. It's not easy to commit suicide. One can't just kill oneself, and there's a huge risk you will do a lot of damage and not die, or die hours later rather than right away. That and it's a lot easier with technology like guns or overdose on drugs (which many people don't have access to). Animals don't have any choice (whether mentally or physically to do it), and clearly, living things are not evolved to kill themselves, it is something we have to invent. Plus it is a huge mental burden to get the courage to do it, it's not something you just do like in Futurama by entering a booth.

Also it's a copout to reduce antinatalism to just pessimism. I think the jury is still out on whether life was a good event or not, but most of all its only purpose is itself. It doesn't have any outside purpose, so if you remove all life you remove all pain and meaning. Life was just an accident so it can be just as much of a mishap or bad event as any other event in the universe. For the most part I am happy compared to what a person can go through in life, I just don't disregard any debate until I've fully digested it, and no disrespect, but I don't think you've done that. A lot of the antinatalism comes from an empathy about how fucked up a life whether animal or human can be, whether horrible diseases, accidents and so forth. I think in a certain way it's the individualist nature of current society that makes us feel OK about that stuff happening. It's either you can't do anything about it or that shit happens and we're just going to have to live with it.

I can understand the inclination to put all the blame on people who are depressed or hurting in some way and that the ideas come from that, but that's precisely the feeling that can induce a feeling of being trapped and feeling it is pointless as well. Kind of like you can't understand math or computers until you're exposed to math and computers. Humans are the only species that can even talk about the concept of death and purposefully ending it, so how much choice do the animals have? None. And we are in many ways just like those animals. Children are sacred and death is something one shouldn't talk about. Taboos are never good imo

If you really wanna play the anti-natalism game, then...

Yes it's true that one can't consent to their being conceived. But people can commit suicide whenever they want. Anti-natalism seems to presuppose that people are somehow required to live out their life in its entirety. (Paradoxically, it's mostly white middle-class men who commit suicide, rather than much worse-off people...definitely a bit of info worth adding to the equation)

But most of all, anti-natalism is just garden-variety pessimism elevated to the level of a philosophical system. I've never heard of a happy anti-natalist. People just take their personal neuroses and explode them into some grandiose pseudo-insight. There's that old psychoanalysis chestnut: when people talk about human nature, what they're really talking about is themselves...

Anyway, on balance I think life is clearly worth living.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this though. It's not easy to commit suicide. One can't just kill oneself, and there's a huge risk you will do a lot of damage and not die, or die hours later rather than right away. That and it's a lot easier with technology like guns or overdose on drugs (which many people don't have access to). Animals don't have any choice (whether mentally or physically to do it), and clearly, living things are not evolved to kill themselves, it is something we have to invent. Plus it is a huge mental burden to get the courage to do it, it's not something you just do like in Futurama by entering a booth.

Also it's a copout to reduce antinatalism to just pessimism. I think the jury is still out on whether life was a good event or not, but most of all its only purpose is itself. It doesn't have any outside purpose, so if you remove all life you remove all pain and meaning. Life was just an accident so it can be just as much of a mishap or bad event as any other event in the universe. For the most part I am happy compared to what a person can go through in life, I just don't disregard any debate until I've fully digested it, and no disrespect, but I don't think you've done that. A lot of the antinatalism comes from an empathy about how fucked up a life whether animal or human can be, whether horrible diseases, accidents and so forth. I think in a certain way it's the individualist nature of current society that makes us feel OK about that stuff happening. It's either you can't do anything about it or that shit happens and we're just going to have to live with it.

I can understand the inclination to put all the blame on people who are depressed or hurting in some way and that the ideas come from that, but that's precisely the feeling that can induce a feeling of being trapped and feeling it is pointless as well. Kind of like you can't understand math or computers until you're exposed to math and computers. Humans are the only species that can even talk about the concept of death and purposefully ending it, so how much choice do the animals have? None. And we are in many ways just like those animals. Children are sacred and death is something one shouldn't talk about. Taboos are never good imo

• 3 months later...

Archived