IGNORED

Earth Entering New Extinction Phase

BCM

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think this was news? I mean is this really the first time you've heard about this? People have been acting like this is not happening for a while now

the solution imo is a serious push to world wide weed legalization and consumption promotion, the humanity as just too ambitious and advanced at this point and thus very destructive. studies has shown that weed consumption reduces the iq of frequent users by about 5-8 points per 5 years. so with a few generation of serious world wide weed smoking we will be reduced to a more animal like state and rejoin the natural ecosystem that we currently ignore and gradually destroy.

very interesting NYT op-ed from a former army private who likens his experiences in iraq with his experience during and after katrina in louisiana:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/learning-how-to-die-in-the-anthropocene/?_r=5

"The choice is a clear one. We can continue acting as if tomorrow will be just like yesterday, growing less and less prepared for each new disaster as it comes, and more and more desperately invested in a life we can’t sustain. Or we can learn to see each day as the death of what came before, freeing ourselves to deal with whatever problems the present offers without attachment or fear.

If we want to learn to live in the Anthropocene, we must first learn how to die."

This was a pretty nice book on mass extinctions and how the humanity might survive the next one.

513s0h8YFEL.jpg

This type of science and scaremongering headlines happens all the time, because their paychecks depend on it.

They really don't. That's one of the favoured turds that creationists throw. Tenured profs, and researchers in public and private spheres get paid regardless of their conclusions.

I guess you should take this study with a pinch of salt because it is fucking hard to quantify biodiversity and extinction rates in the distant past (see the Raup/Sepkoski Curve debate if you're interested). I'd also tread a bit carefully since Ehrlich is in on it, and he's a bit of a nutter innit. But at the same time there is definitely some truth in it. From a geo perspective: if you look thru the sed record, whenever you see rapid environmental change, lots of stuff dies. Presently we're not only drastically altering atmospheric and ocean chemistry, but we've also sharply modified erosional and depositional regimes in almost every basin worldwide, and on land we've carved up habitats into smaller isolated chunks and in many agricultural areas are gradually in the process of removing the soil. Fragmenting habitats actually aids speciation and biodiversity over the appropriate timescales, but if it happens at the same time as other rapid changes it simply means there's no scope for species to migrate away to safety. I don't think you even need to hammer out the exact cause and effect: in a hundred million years, our current activities will stick out in the rocks like a sore stiffy, just like the Permian and Cretaceous extinctions do today, and it's really difficult to imagine how a mass extinction wouldn't coincide with it

Who knows how it'll affect humanity tho. Extinctions can fall anywhere in the range between "aww, that's a shame" (e.g. pandas), to "ah fuck boys we're gonna starve" (e.g. earthworms). But since ecosystems are interlinked, you don't want to pull out what seems to be an easy jenga piece and end up bringing the whole tower down innit

sorry for the long boring post wattum lawl

This type of science and scaremongering headlines happens all the time, because their paychecks depend on it.

They really don't. That's one of the favoured turds that creationists throw. Tenured profs, and researchers in public and private spheres get paid regardless of their conclusions.

I guess you should take this study with a pinch of salt because it is fucking hard to quantify biodiversity and extinction rates in the distant past (see the Raup/Sepkoski Curve debate if you're interested). I'd also tread a bit carefully since Ehrlich is in on it, and he's a bit of a nutter innit. But at the same time there is definitely some truth in it. From a geo perspective: if you look thru the sed record, whenever you see rapid environmental change, lots of stuff dies. Presently we're not only drastically altering atmospheric and ocean chemistry, but we've also sharply modified erosional and depositional regimes in almost every basin worldwide, and on land we've carved up habitats into smaller isolated chunks and in many agricultural areas are gradually in the process of removing the soil. Fragmenting habitats actually aids speciation and biodiversity over the appropriate timescales, but if it happens at the same time as other rapid changes it simply means there's no scope for species to migrate away to safety. I don't think you even need to hammer out the exact cause and effect: in a hundred million years, our current activities will stick out in the rocks like a sore stiffy, just like the Permian and Cretaceous extinctions do today, and it's really difficult to imagine how a mass extinction wouldn't coincide with it

Who knows how it'll affect humanity tho. Extinctions can fall anywhere in the range between "aww, that's a shame" (e.g. pandas), to "ah fuck boys we're gonna starve" (e.g. earthworms). But since ecosystems are interlinked, you don't want to pull out what seems to be an easy jenga piece and end up bringing the whole tower down innit

sorry for the long boring post wattum lawl

Great post! Similar to what I was trying to say on the previous page, but better.

Guest WNS000

I find it funny that people actually care about this.

The planet will eventually "die" sooner or later. Who cares if it is now or in a few billion years when the sun gets cold - the end will come nevertheless even if the human kind actually managed to colonize some other galaxy. One day our species will die and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. No point in having children, no point in trying to "save the planet", no point in thinking about it. It does not matter at all. It is so laughably simple and obvious...

...unless you are religious that is...

The planet will eventually "die" sooner or later. Who cares if it is now or in a few billion years when the sun gets cold - the end will come nevertheless even if the human kind actually managed to colonize some other galaxy. One day our species will die and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. No point in having children, no point in trying to "save the planet", no point in thinking about it. It does not matter at all. It is so laughably simple and obvious...

So, you don't care if you die today or 50 years later because you're going to die anyway?

Yeah, it can be challenging to keep the Nihilistic thoughts at bay. The aforementioned Religious experience works well for this but is certainly not for everyone, myself included.

One is left with superimposing a higher, personal intent upon one's actions to lend meaning to life. This quote comes to mind:

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

Otherwise, what's the point of anything really?

Gaia don't give a shit one way or another. The best we can do is be cool and spread good vibes, getting high in our Lamborghini at 100 mph. That's the goal.

Archived