IGNORED

What Aphex and Autechre tracks should I show my prof?

gmanyo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then I guess LP5 and ep7, or maybe Chiastic Slide, since those were the first digital releases that ae made. It's especially notable considering how crazy they got with digital production right from the beginning. Confield wasn't really anything new in production technique, just a refined version of techniques they had been using since 1997. It's interesting how they broke apart sequencers in that album to make them sound unpredictable, but I think the biggest difference between it and the earlier releases is just the aesthetic and the sound of the album.

I think the difference between LP5 and Confield is quite remarkable from a production point of view.

By digital you guys mean software based right?

Was LP5 digital?

If it is I agree that LP5, EP7 and Confield are important in that sort of shift from hardware to software. Hard to pick one track from those, you'd have to read a lot of interviews from the time but I would think that they started to see software as allowing them to do things that would be incredibly difficult or impossible to do with hardware, like Fold4Wrap5.

Either that or something that works as a clear example of generative synthesis (excuse me if I'm not using the terminology right... but I mean computer "controlled" music). Confield comes across the most "generative" in their entire back-catalogue, perhaps Cfern would be a good example in that case.

And as far as Richard James' shift to software, Hangable Auto Bulb is a pivotal moment, but I still think Windowlicker is a great example from a digital production point of view.

Chiastic Slide was the first ae album to use software. They started using Max/MSP in 1997. There's even a patch that you can download for a draft of one of the tracks from ep7, and it's all 100% within Max/MSP. Confield is different in how they approached it, but I don't think what they were using to make the music was very different, just how they were using it.

• 4 weeks later...

0113%20Krzysztof%20Penderecki%20i%20Aphe

lel, penderecki be like: "not sure if serious".

on topic: gantz graf is probably not a bad idea, due visual access. in terms of formal accomplishment IV VV IV VV VIII. history: prolly something off tri rep (or to a lesser extent lp5).

Archived