IGNORED

What Aphex and Autechre tracks should I show my prof?

gmanyo

I'd go with "4" as an introduction to Aphex Twin, it's historical because of the early years computer production + evolution of drill n bass sound etc.

Just out of curiosity, what OPN song did you choose :) ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0113%20Krzysztof%20Penderecki%20i%20Aphe

lol at that picture, its pure gold

not sure wether it's Rich doing the joey deacon tounge under bottom lip or doing a cheeky Cheshire cat grin

either way it's briiiiiiliant just like his motherfucking brain bending another dimension tunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck yeah

0113%20Krzysztof%20Penderecki%20i%20Aphe

lol at that picture, its pure gold

not sure wether it's Rich doing the joey deacon tounge under bottom lip or doing a cheeky Cheshire cat grin

either way it's briiiiiiliant just like his motherfucking brain bending another dimension tunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck yeah

Where is this from?

also, great effort on richard's part in picking his wardrobe.

Aphex: outside kickass violin solo

Autechre: Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth

Two stellar classics.

DUDE, a handicapped homeless child is asking you for directions to the soup kitchen, and you're trying to give him a shot of whisky to touch his peepee.

Aphex: as suggested, 4, and maybe Vordhosbn because it's the kind of magic I think most musically-minded folks could appreciate.

Autechre: Tewe, Xylin Room, VI Scose Poise, M39 Diffain

I'm kind of disappointed that nobody else is recommending irlite (get 0). That's probably ae's most impressive track, which is really saying a lot. I wouldn't even know where to begin in figuring out what I'm hearing.

Well...

If he's teaching history, you wanna pick stuff that highlights the historical significance of Aphex Twin and Autechre. I'm not too clued up in music history, but I agree with your choices of Xtal and Windowlicker because:

• Xtal is an example of early ambient house AND bedroom-electronica. This should be played alongside early Orbital and Moby (yeah... I know... but... we're talking historical significance here, not who's the 'ardest).
  • This could then lead to a discussion about where bedroom-produced ambient house lead to. This could easily segue into something from the RDJ album (like Girl/Boy song, which could also help him tie in Squarepusher)
  • Windowlicker is significant for a number of reasons:
  1. The use of spectral imagery.
  2. The music video is very "of it's time", parodying part of the "consumer culture" that 90's MTV promoted while somehow being a part of it.
  3. The use of photomanipulation (while certainly not unheard of before then) seems to align closer to the humour used in photomanips prevalent on the internet today.

Autechre... while in many ways more innovative, is perhaps not as historically significant, because I don't think they have made as big a lasting impact on the music industry or pop culture. They obviously had a big part in popularising the "glitch" aesthetic, and for that reason, Gantz Graf would be appropriate to play, but is that aesthetic really popular enough to consider it historically significant? Films like The Matrix are probably more important in this regard.

I think more historically significant is their Anti EP from 1994. This contains their only overt "protest" song, Flutter, which was designed as a reaction to the "anti-rave" laws in the controversial Criminal Justice Bill. It should also be mentioned, alongside this, other electronic artists with overt political content in their music: Orbital's album Snivilisation is very important (look up the Criminal Justice Bill remix of Are We Here?), I believe Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation also falls under this category (although I'm not very familiar with their stuff) and also Muslimgauze's entire career is worth noting (I think there's another one I'm forgetting about...).

I think more historically significant is their Anti EP from 1994. This contains their only overt "protest" song, Flutter, which was designed as a reaction to the "anti-rave" laws in the controversial Criminal Justice Bill.

I agree with this. We could name great tunes from both artists forever, but in terms of historical importance, the Anti EP very gracefully highlights the importance of rave culture of the 90s whilst simultaneously challenging definitions or preconceptions of the music involved, including populist and political opinions of it.

I was going for a historical shift in the artists' output.

Girl/boy was the first all digital stuff right? (Along with HABs I guess).

Confield marked a significant shift in Autechres output.

I would have listed something off SAW 85-92 as it's my favorite Aphex album to this day, but I thought the requirement was no analogue?

afx - vordhosbn, syntacon 9, ziggomatic 17, mt saint michel, omgyjya swicth, cock/ver 10, 54 cymru beats, afx 237 v7, gwarek 2, rhubarb, lichen and many others from saw2, minipops 67, 4 bit 9d, circlont6a, circlont14, aisatsana, machromt30a,

ae - imo anything,,,,but consider this - basscadet, nil, second bad vilbel, vletrmx, rotar, cipater, cichli, characi, krib, laughing quater, draun quarter, vose in, fold4wrap5, under boac, corc, drane, drane2, cfern, pen expers, bine, uviol, gantz graf, dial., xylin room, surripere, v-proc, pro radii, augmatic disport, sublimit, altibzz, simmm, paralel suns, rale, notwo, the plclcpc, fol4, perlence subrange 3, iris was a pupil, no border, pt2ph8, see on see, treale, d-sho qub, os veix3, krylon, irlite, vekos, 11 is, cloudline, recks on, yjy ux, m39 diffain, new bound, nonima

In that case, I really recommend Exai, then. As far as I'm aware, that album was largely digital in production (though I'm not sure that ae ever confirmed how much of it is digital).

come on man you recommended Exai tracks allready on 5 posts ! Exai is neither groundbreaking nor unexpected.

also its not about which track sounds cool or nice its more about historic & production technique.

springymajig & Stephen allready suggested the right tracks like the Anti Ep or Slip and confield tracks

Well then I guess LP5 and ep7, or maybe Chiastic Slide, since those were the first digital releases that ae made. It's especially notable considering how crazy they got with digital production right from the beginning. Confield wasn't really anything new in production technique, just a refined version of techniques they had been using since 1997. It's interesting how they broke apart sequencers in that album to make them sound unpredictable, but I think the biggest difference between it and the earlier releases is just the aesthetic and the sound of the album.

Archived