IGNORED

What Aphex and Autechre tracks should I show my prof?

gmanyo

A professor at my university teaches a course on history and production of electronic music and for this class he has listening samples, ranging from Pierre Schaeffer to Depeche Mode to Karlheinz Stockhausen to Kraftwerk. I've told him for years that it's insane that he doesn't have any Aphex (although he does have Squarepusher) and now he's finally asking for a few key tracks from Aphex Twin, Autechre, and Oneohtrix Point Never. What tracks should I give him? I don't quite know enough Aphex or Autechre to choose the best tracks for both musical and historical learning.

I figured for Aphex I should probably give him Windowlicker and Xtal, and for Autechre I have no idea. It can only be a few songs from each, so they should be good ones.

As a final note, they can't be 100% analogue, since this is for the digital listening section.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perlence losid 2 is a good one. Anything from Exai will work, too. It's easily their most detailed and technical album to date. irlite (get 0) and T ess xi would be a good introduction.

Aphex isn't as technical, though, so I don't really know about his stuff. Maybe the Mummy mix of Come to Daddy or the formula track. Though I think Oval or Ryoji Ikeda would be a better call than any of Aphex's things.

OPN really hasn't been technical until recently. Most of his stuff is just regular ambient music. His recent live sets have been getting experimental, so maybe the one live video of him doing possible G.O.D. stuff would work.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/87821-afx-playlist-to-convince-music-theory-guy-that-rdj-is-the-man/

asked watmm what AFX to play a friend who's ensconced in music theory... might help you out

anything of LP5 is probably a good idea

for afx, equation song is a good one, drukqs piano tracks might not work well. musically they aren't super complicated. i think second half of syro or ziggo or mt st michel might work. ha ha i still think 4 bit 9d is an absolute wonder of dynamic compression and attack/decay bass funkiness but it may seem pretty straightforward to someone else.

I'm digging Pen Expers quite a bit, and I think Alberto Balsalm is a good choice because it's both a great track and a bit on the older side.

Remember that historical importance matters here, and that accessibility is not a bad thing either; this is an introductory course on electronic music, so deep cuts might not be the best.

Archived