IGNORED

Oregon College shooting

Adamovich

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media should not publish the names of shooters

(Too late, now)

Remember that epidemic of subway suicides?

I forget where

But it was just nonstop

And then some psychiatrists urged the media to stop reporting on them

And they did, and the suicides stopped

Imagine if school shooters just died in pathetic obscurity

No articles psychoanaylzing them

No magazine covers with their face on them

Just "the un-named shooter died in a shootout with the cops"

And then literally no mention of them in the press ever again...

[youtubehd]x5U_XD4kDJ4[/youtubehd]

(Too late, now)

I forget where

But it was just nonstop

this

(Too late, now)

I forget where

But it was just nonstop

this

I think Limpy Loo has the right idea here. Unfortunately, US media appears to sensationalize the fuck out of whatever they think will get the largest emotional response out of the public. If it were a person, it would be a Detroit-based arsonist who set flame to a house and then jacked off to it in an abandoned house across the street. Only difference is the arsonist wouldn't have commercial breaks where he tried to peddle SSRI's to the crowd he attracted.

It's the same reason Bruce/Caitlin Jenner will receive months of attention and water on Mars is mentioned in passing.

They have strong evidence for water on Mars btw.

Yeah, the reporting can be sensationalist and awfull. But it really doesn't help if people (you, me, we) still watch it. It's clickbait which gets bigger every time someone clicks.

Also, the 4chan quotes that get reported are a cringeworthy sign of bad reporting. It's anonymous bullshit that gets posted as if it has any value. Wtf

Plus: i liked the annoyed obama speach. It's good to see some real(?) emotions dripping through the act of a president.

calls himself lithium love ay, another crazyed up guy on meds. When are they going to ban all these dangerous anti-depressants. Where's the outrage, the speeches by wankbama.

Sorry but you have lost some cred here, I do agree that there needs to be a discussion about mental health and more research on the effects of the meds on the mind but to demand on a ban and call the meds dangerous is probably one of the knee-jerk,short sighted and ignorant statements you had made.

Some of the meds can make someone apathetic so if you are a nut who wants to shoot up a school, taking these meds can give you the motivation to do it but its not really the drugs fault, its the fault of lack of research/shit doctors who over-prescribe and more importantly (and this ties up with the research part) drugs affect everyone differently, for person A it can turn you into a zombie but for person B it can be a life saver.

calls himself lithium love ay, another crazyed up guy on meds. When are they going to ban all these dangerous anti-depressants. Where's the outrage, the speeches by wankbama.

Sorry but you have lost some cred here --- knee-jerk,short sighted and ignorant statements you had made

sorry for this parts, i just woke up lol

Imagine if this kind of anger was directed towards something more deserving, rather than, you know, a bunch of innocent victims.

It's a shame it gets sensationalized, but not talking about it doesn't help much. Every time this happens The Onion reposts the same article altered for the particular event, which is frankly how it feels. I don't have much of an answer for what we can do, though I also feel like anyone who says "oh yeah, this is the clear answer" is probably delusional.

doesn't really matter that the guy was originally from the uk but if he still lived in the uk, or most european countries, would be 95% more difficult to get his hands on a weapon let alone 13 weapons,

yeah mental healthcare is important but how is that possible when healthcare in america is so expensive, the first thing to do is regulate guns, why is that such a radical idea?

americas 2nd amendment is funny, a lot of nra people still think its the civil war & need to bear a musket

remember-when-the-colonists-stood-in-lin

(sarah palin posted this photo on her fb, which the oregon sheriff john hanlin of the latest shooting shared in the past)

sponsored by british airways welcome to europe

what about the people that could be potential shooters that found a medication that worked? some anti deps aren't that bad, some work better for different people. it's better than being depressed in a lot of circumstances.

Yessir.

doesn't really matter that the guy was originally from the uk but if he still lived in the uk, or most european countries, would be 95% more difficult to get his hands on a weapon let alone 13 weapons,

yeah mental healthcare is important but how is that possible when healthcare in america is so expensive, the first thing to do is regulate guns, why is that such a radical idea?

americas 2nd amendment is funny, a lot of nra people still think its the civil war & need to bear a musket

(sarah palin posted this photo on her fb, which the oregon sheriff john hanlin of the latest shooting shared in the past)

I think if the second amendment guaranteed right to bear nuclear weapons, Americans would be saying that a few idiots going crazy shouldn't prevent responsible nuke-owners from owning nukes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what about the people that could be potential shooters that found a medication that worked? some anti deps aren't that bad, some work better for different people. it's better than being depressed in a lot of circumstances.

* wanders off into a debate on the (supposed) efficacy of anti-depressants*

Couldn't find that debate, but if I had, this would be my contribution:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/21/mindfulness-based-cognitive-therapy-treatment-chronic-depression-antidepressants

1) just for clarification: Lithium is a mood stabilizer' not an anti-depressant

It's prescribed almost entirely for bipolar-disorder

And is used only as a 'last resort' for plain old depression

2) I really wish I had learned mindful meditation in like elementary school

Learning to enjoy simply being alive should be literally the first thing you learn in school

Sorry but you have lost some cred here, I do agree that there needs to be a discussion about mental health and more research on the effects of the meds on the mind but to demand on a ban and call the meds dangerous is probably one of the knee-jerk,short sighted and ignorant statements you had made.

Some of the meds can make someone apathetic so if you are a nut who wants to shoot up a school, taking these meds can give you the motivation to do it but its not really the drugs fault, its the fault of lack of research/shit doctors who over-prescribe and more importantly (and this ties up with the research part) drugs affect everyone differently, for person A it can turn you into a zombie but for person B it can be a life saver.

a - the post was superlative demonstration of the supercilious .. and it turns out he was crazy btw.

b - SSRI's are bad, the science is there now (and from the drug maker's own studies themselves has been for a long time, although suppressed .. my post is an anti-suppressant .. heh deal) .. but because i have to spell it out because most people aren't able to read between the lines. There are plusses and minuses to things surely and this is a long discussion weighing it up, but the weight of evidence is clearly in the favour of admonishing this class of drugs now, when you factor in placebo effect, the long list of negative of the med etc. Go look up SSRI's the negative or something. It does turn off these individual's empathy, hence mass shootings, of which there are very few in the US compared to other gun crimes murders it pales into insignificance, neverthless i stress and in the knowledge that you never found me convincing before (that i've found, you've mostly been negative about my 'issue' posts) so used that as an argumentative device (which was obvious, it helps sway other readers), whatever man. Read up on it, increase in domestic violence, and everything else that it seems to be doing, is it worth it, no, it isn't. It's making a LOT of money for the drug makers though, so it's hard to get through all that propaganda, marketing bullshit.

edit: this isn't an hard dig at you deer, why would i do that, it's just the issue that i'm trap dooring.

This state is like walking between really hard lines of super liberal groups and super conservative groups. It's probably similar in other states (I've only ever lived in Oregon), but we have Portland as our hipster capital, then small farming towns only 30 minutes out that have those types that still fly the Confederate Flag.

No one mentioned this but someone in the user18081971 soundcloud was talking angstily about cleaning their guns and proliferating their angst or something along those lines, which thankfully Richard replied to saying: use your bravery in non violent ways my friend, sounds like your a warrior, we need you!

getting pretty close to home, no?

a - the post was superlative demonstration of the supercilious .. and it turns out he was crazy btw.

b - SSRI's are bad, the science is there now (and from the drug maker's own studies themselves has been for a long time, although suppressed .. my post is an anti-suppressant .. heh deal) .. but because i have to spell it out because most people aren't able to read between the lines. There are plusses and minuses to things surely and this is a long discussion weighing it up, but the weight of evidence is clearly in the favour of admonishing this class of drugs now, when you factor in placebo effect, the long list of negative of the med etc. Go look up SSRI's the negative or something. It does turn off these individual's empathy, hence mass shootings, of which there are very few in the US compared to other gun crimes murders it pales into insignificance, neverthless i stress and in the knowledge that you never found me convincing before (that i've found, you've mostly been negative about my 'issue' posts) so used that as an argumentative device (which was obvious, it helps sway other readers), whatever man. Read up on it, increase in domestic violence, and everything else that it seems to be doing, is it worth it, no, it isn't. It's making a LOT of money for the drug makers though, so it's hard to get through all that propaganda, marketing bullshit.

edit: this isn't an hard dig at you deer, why would i do that, it's just the issue that i'm trap dooring.

Hi delet

When I started taking Zoloft 6-7 months ago, I immediately (2-4 weeks) snapped out of my depression. So full disclosure: I may be biased on the matter

I am very curious to see the studies you're referring to. I am well aware of the side effects of SSRI's, but I'd never heard anything about domestic violence...are you sure SSRI's and domestic violence aren't just correlated to a hidden third factor (being depressed in the first place?

And the old placebo effect, what are we to do with it?

So maligned, so misunderstood....

The Placebo effect doesn't mean "this drug doesn't work"

It means "this drug does work, but for very strange reasons"

In fact, there are multiple mechanism behind "the placebo effect"

(Some involve patient expectations and opioid receptors

And some work unconsciously on the immune system)

Should SSRI's be admonished if it heavily capitalizes on the placebo effect?

I don't know, but I don't think the answer is 'obviously'

BTW, why are we talking about SSRI's making people more likely to shoot up a school? As I said, Lithium is a mood stabilizer not an anti-depressant, and about the worst thing Lithium does is pickle your kidneys (in high doses over long periods).

Lithium is a naturally-occurring wonder drug:

in places where the drinking water has naturally high levels of Lithium, the suicide rates are lower.

i have a question for americans regarding the confederate flag:

when someone is rocking the confederate flag, what exactly are they trying to say? "i support slavery"?

isn't that what the civil war was about? the south wanted to keep slavery and the north wanted it abolished?

They usually say "heritage not hate" or that it's a historical symbol. Usually this is to cover up the fact that they are a gigantic asshole

Archived