Germany NYE attacks

YO303

@boo

1) A lot...a whole bunch of stuff

But that is an entirely separate conversation

(All problems should be addressed;

Problems don't cancel each other out)

2) Okay, sure...what is you point?

Does that mitigate the crimes or the culpability of those who committed them?

How about we stop making excuses

and stop holding people from other cultures to lower standards

Than we would anyone else

("Yeah he raped a woman, but he was being used as a political token in campaign speeches")

@ Salv

It was my solution to hard-to-read posts that require you to move your eyes all the way across the screen with confusing structure and recursive clauses and really I was just sick of reading posts like this and also it really started to hurt my eyes

@Ivan

*carves "Ooze 2017 " into forehead*

"AHHHHHHH" -Marilyn Manson

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but like we significantly contributed to the creation of the crisis so we have a responsibility to sort it out no?

What is with this current epidemic of "it's the West's fault" stuff?

Is this like our answer to Original Sin or Jewish shame?

It kinda needs to stop lol

America has caused many problems globally

but this isn't one of them

This is a cultural issue, plain and simple

My Sudanese neighbor used to tell me about Sudan

And it was fucking shocking

(E.g. "If non-Muslim sleeps with Muslim, they die")

Again, as much as we want to think that

Deep down all cultures have the same decent progressive humanist feminist (et all) values

It's simply not true

And as fucked up as America and other Western countries are

We're at least half-decent at frowning upon things that indeed should be frowned upon

To be clear: this uncomfortable fact is not cause to treat people of other cultures poorly

But we simply can't buy into the nice-sounding farce of cultural relativism

Some norms, values and ideas are indeed better than others

Let's please just reckon with this fact

Well mostly because we have disastrous foreign policies that perpetuate conflict and war for the profit of a few while making us all more at risk from retaliations and destabilized nations and regions across the world. The current refuge crisis being part of the blow back from said disastrous policies.

@boo

("Yeah he raped a woman, but he was being used as a political token in campaign speeches")

My point is that this instantly turned in to a discussion about refugees sexually assaulting women when that isn't even factual at this point. I think that's probably why it didn't get much media attention, because the details are so sketchy so really there isn't much of story... so what do we all do? We create one that matches our fears. The main concern from this incident would be how the police dealt with it quite poorly, since the women didn't feel that help was there (although obv NYE is a busy night for them).

@boo

My point is that this instantly turned in to a discussion about refugees sexually assaulting women when that isn't even factual at this point. I think that's probably why it didn't get much media attention, because the details are so sketchy so really there isn't much of story... so what do we all do? We create one that matches our fears. The main concern from this incident would be how the police dealt with it quite poorly, since the women didn't feel that help was there.
every news article I read about it mentioned immigrants. it is in the police reports (or so I read).

@ Adieu

So women are being mugged and sexually assaulted in Germany because of American foreign policy?

That might be the most creative case of "blame the West" I've ever heard (well, maybe aside from homosexuality causing hurricanes and autism).

@boo

My point is that this instantly turned in to a discussion about refugees sexually assaulting women when that isn't even factual at this point. I think that's probably why it didn't get much media attention, because the details are so sketchy so really there isn't much of story... so what do we all do? We create one that matches our fears. The main concern from this incident would be how the police dealt with it quite poorly, since the women didn't feel that help was there.
every news article I read about it mentioned immigrants. it is in the police reports (or so I read).

They were described as Arab appearance or North African. People are assuming that they were desperate poor refugees but I haven't seen any reports on how they were dressed or if they were or were not speaking German / had another accent etc. Just Arab appearance. They could be economic migrants for all we know or whatev

@ Adieu

So women are being mugged and sexually assaulted in Germany because of American foreign policy?

That might be the most creative case of "blame the West" I've ever heard (well, maybe aside from homosexuality causing hurricanes and autism).

umm...I didn't say that. You said that. If you're actually at a loss for what my comments are referring to I'd be surprised. Obviously I'm speaking about the xenophobia and anti-immigrant sentiment coming from just about every country in the west at the moment. This incident being more ammo for those people obviously. At least in the way it's being framed right now. It's low hanging fruit. But in reality I haven't seen any evidence about "organization" and "planning" that people keep discussing for this incident. Obviously, it's a terrible thing and people should be held accountable as they were involved, but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Every crime committed becomes more reasoning for not fixing many of the problems our country, which has been run by douchebags for at least 45 years, have caused or at least contributed to. We've been selling arms, aiding human rights violators illegally, killing innocents, dropping bombs, etc. etc. on a constant basis for decades. Of course it's going to cause fucking huge problems. And here we are now. super surprising. xenophobia at critical mass.

"Police have said the men appeared to have been coordinated, comparing their modus operandi to that of criminal gangs that have operated in strength for several years in the area and turning it into a place many Cologners avoid after dark. "

edit: bah

"Police have said the men appeared to have been coordinated, comparing their modus operandi to that of criminal gangs that have operated in strength for several years in the area and turning it into a place many Cologners avoid after dark. "

edit: bah

It wasn't just Germany, though.

@boo

They were described as Arab appearance or North African. People are assuming that they were desperate poor refugees but I haven't seen any reports on how they were dressed or if they were or were not speaking German / had another accent etc. Just Arab appearance. They could be economic migrants for all we know or whatev

Leaked police report claims senior police officers feared fatalities and that one of those involved in attacks told officers: I am Syrian. You have to treat me kindly. Mrs Merkel invited me"

Full article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/12086473/Suspects-in-Cologne-sex-attacks-claimed-to-be-Syrian-refugees.html

@ Salv

It was my solution to hard-to-read posts that require you to move your eyes all the way across the screen with confusing structure and recursive clauses and really I was just sick of reading posts like this and also it really started to hurt my eyes

How about using a fixed width theme?

And if youre sick of reading posts like that, what use would it have to change your posts? Or do you only read your own posts?

Youre so confusing. With or without the poetic layout of your posts...

as much as i wish it were a hoax / fabrication it does seem as though it did occur.

if people are going to be angry at anyone, they should be angry at the specific group involved for fucking up the situation for the great majority of refugees who just want to live in peace. jumping to the conclusion that it is a part of their culture and therefore it should affect how we judge every other immigrant and the situation in general only serves to isolate and demonise more. we've had way too much of this already. it's not going to be a smooth ride, folks. there will be issues. but think of the amount of people who are having a better life not being dominated by assad and / or ISIS

The sexual assaults in Germany weren't just a few bad apples

It wasn't like 6 assholes

We're apparently talking upwards of 1,000 perpetrators

So yes this has everything to do with culture

Syria is pretty much the rape capital of the world right now

(And no, I'm not saying every Syrian refugee is a rapist)

as much as i wish it were a hoax / fabrication it does seem as though it did occur.

if people are going to be angry at anyone, they should be angry at the specific group involved for fucking up the situation for the great majority of refugees who just want to live in peace. jumping to the conclusion that it is a part of their culture and therefore it should affect how we judge every other immigrant and the situation in general only serves to isolate and demonise more. we've had way too much of this already. it's not going to be a smooth ride, folks. there will be issues. but think of the amount of people who are having a better life not being dominated by assad and / or ISIS

The sexual assaults in Germany weren't just a few bad apples

It wasn't like 6 assholes

We're apparently talking upwards of 1,000 perpetrators

So yes this has everything to do with culture

Syria is pretty much the rape capital of the world right now

(And no, I'm not saying every Syrian refugee is a rapist)

you know nothing about assad : he is not perfect but he was protecting the christians (lots of those familly are in france now)

edit : and you know nothing about misogyny in the middle east

Guest transmisiones ferox

animals, ok,

but what those anti-immigrants people suggest? track down all the refugees, send them back, close the borders (is this even possible?) but then maybe they also shouldn't travel to these countries, for a summer vacation, or bring goods from them, for ex, or we goona just exploit their resources

ever get the feeling that this hype is the effect of the clickbait media? the more outrage an item creates, the more clicks it gets. and now we're supposed to have some kind of meaningful discussion? about what? should i be outraged and vent my useless opinion (emotion) in the ether? ok, i'll try. i guess. :S

the only discussion i currently see about the whole cologne deal was that initially local authorities communicated that new years eve went pretty well. and it looks as if authorities weren't well prepared to handle the situation. but i'd rather wait with having judgments until it's actually clear what the F happened.

people (esp. women) tend to be harassed when too much alcohol is involved. i'm afraid people get harassed to some degree every weekend in big cities and especially at new years eve, every year. not at cologne scale, but what happened there is still matter of investigation.

The media is too corrupted to provide valid truth.

People use major events in all sorts of political and personal agendas.

Because of the both above, people will always be able to manipulate public opinions and 'how's right to follow'.

The west is responsible for the aftermath of the years of war.

The immigrants are most probably playing on that card right now.

Which is not exactly 'noble', but since western bombers and missiles demolished everything they had and installed new order, you can't exactly blame them, right?

Western people should empathize more with nations that are being raped by 'freedom and democracy'.

Instead, our major concerns are the new iPhones and celebrity mischiefs.

ever get the feeling that this hype is the effect of the clickbait media? the more outrage an item creates, the more clicks it gets. and now we're supposed to have some kind of meaningful discussion? about what? should i be outraged and vent my useless opinion (emotion) in the ether? ok, i'll try. i guess. :S

Sums up my feelings on media in a web 2.0 world pretty concisely

Either way I feel like shit is going to hit the fan in Europe, and any truth and reasonable conclusions that can be drawn from this are going to be buried under social media rhetoric and clueless discussion.

Archived