IGNORED

Forum Features - Hated, Wanted, Pie In The Sky

Joyrex

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of WATMM is quite good. Only thing that bothers me is that the board is open, and that all my posts can be seen by the outside world. I'd like an option for me to show posts to watmm members or only.. or complete boards that are only open to watmm members. this allows us to discuss thing more intimately, without prying eyes.

Being able to post pictures on the site instead of linking from another site.

Now that's an interesting one - there is a Gallery module for the forums, and my only concerns would be how much storage space it would consume, plus making sure there are clear rules about what is and is not allowed for uploads.

Anyone else have an opinion on a Gallery or whether we need one?

The best answer function is quite annoying in it's current state.

A script to prevent haters from breaking a perfectly fine rolling lol.

I also browse by new content, so I hope that stays as it is.

The new forum does away with the Best Answer feature by default, and replaces it with a new forum type called "Question and Answer" where only those forums can you mark a post a "Best Answer". There is an addon that restores the Best Answer back to any forum.

I think the reason it's broken in this version (display-wise) is due to the theme, and not the feature itself. This is most likely resolved in the new forum software.

Most of WATMM is quite good. Only thing that bothers me is that the board is open, and that all my posts can be seen by the outside world. I'd like an option for me to show posts to watmm members or only.. or complete boards that are only open to watmm members. this allows us to discuss thing more intimately, without prying eyes.

Well, being an open forum is how others find this place - having closed forums didn't work out too well for us in the past :unsure: , and unless everyone is able to go into the closed forums (and agree to not post things outside the closed forum), there will be animosity and "us versus them" feelings.

Besides, is a discussion forum really a proper venue to discuss intimate things? I would think email, PM, or text message would be more private...

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this?

Regarding privacy concerns on WATMM...I don't see a problem with this being an open forum. If you're worried someone IRL might find you on here it's easy enough to maintain anonymity. Mainly depends on how you present your username, precise location, etc. And obv don't mention it to anyone outside if you don't want them to know.

When I press tab from the reply box focus goes to the search field, if I press shift-tab it goes to post. Would be nice if that was reversed so I can do tab-space as a shortcut for post.

still kinda am into moving chatmm to IRC so i can enter the room with my leet terminal IRC client

also really into the idea of a trivia bot or something in there.

should go without saying that the open air slots on watmm radio should be text to speech live transcripts of chatmm.

^ oh yeah we were discussing the chatbot in chatmm yesterday.

We'd settled for an AI that had been fed all of the most recent chatlogs, all the text from the forums, text from every discogs page of every featured artist and maybe the wiki pages too.

also I know this is a touchy subject, but:

how about a "mark my post as NSFW" option, so one can choose to browse WATMM on SFW (NSFW posts are hidden) or NSFW mode?

I was just thinking that myself.

This would be great. Innocuous butt/pectoral pics type of thing do get a few laughs (see: funny pics thread).

Guest bitroast

yeah. the heavy handiness on NSFW or even,... goofy shit talking is pretty weird to me.

the forum (general banter in particular) has always been a place for people to talk talk and have a laff if need-be. but when goofy threads get closed within 1 page cos they too silly or spammy, ... it kind of feels like a NO-FUN buzz kill to me.

meanwhile, political / world problems / TERRORISM threads where people argue and fix the worlds problems go to page 50 with no closing.

some laxing on the NO FUN would be my only suggestion. otherwise, it's all grooovy.

yeah. the heavy handiness on NSFW or even,... goofy shit talking is pretty weird to me.

the forum (general banter in particular) has always been a place for people to talk talk and have a laff if need-be. but when goofy threads get closed within 1 page cos they too silly or spammy, ... it kind of feels like a NO-FUN buzz kill to me.

meanwhile, political / world problems / TERRORISM threads where people argue and fix the worlds problems go to page 50 with no closing.

some laxing on the NO FUN would be my only suggestion. otherwise, it's all grooovy.

Yeah. Threads can go on with "fuck your stupid opinion you fucking piece of shit cis white privilege wanker shitstain" etc as every second post for weeks (I'm guilty, I've been involved in them) but a completely innocuous pic posted in good fun: warning points/instant takedown.

Does not compute.

Anyways I'm not going to harp on the subject but it would be nice to be able to mark posts as NSFW with slightly relaxed guidelines compared to current, and be able to browse in 2 diff modes.

Guest bitroast

yeah. definitely don't mean to start a shit posting avalanche here. <333

*posts naughty picture of a bottom*

Maybe this is a stupid idea?

But would it be too hard to arrange a forum for all the WATMM artists (from aftawerks to zephyr nova and everything in between), to browse through all the artists alphabetically? Kind of arranged like a folder in windows... you could browse alphabetically by artist, and then browse all the releases they've posted on watmm alphabetically, and so on?

The threads already exist. It would just be cool to have an organized straightforward directory to browse through. Would likely lead to watmmers discovering more of each other's music.

Excited for the radio, listening to NTS and Rinse a bit, would be cool to send in some mixes.

otherwise, everything is good.

if there is a way to just drag and drop photos and videos I'm all for it.

It would be cool if threads in the New & Upcoming Releases subforum had a small thumbnail on the side showing the album art

I think I saw an addon for that... I agree it would be cool if there was an image for those threads.

also I know this is a touchy subject, but:

how about a "mark my post as NSFW" option, so one can choose to browse WATMM on SFW (NSFW posts are hidden) or NSFW mode?

The issue with NSFW is simply not having to deal with running a site that can (potentially) feature adult content - as the owner, I am responsible for everything anyone does here, and while there are disclaimers and the like, I can still be held legally responsible for content posted that is considered offensive or illegal.

Additionally, this is a music forum - I really don't see the need for adult content to be mixed into that, especially when there is a minority asking for and wanting such content.

The other issue is a more basic one - when you visit a web page, ALL the associate content - scripts, images, etc. are downloaded to your browser's cache as soon as you load that page - if someone inadvertently forgets to mark their thread NSFW or a singular post contains such content, other users have no way of not seeing (or downloading) that content to their machine. That alone makes it a nightmare to ensure everything is on the up and up for users who have no interest in that type of content.

The reason we tend to be heavy-handed when it comes to NSFW content is the more and more things are allowed, the more the boundary of what's acceptable gets pushed - what starts out as a harmless bare butt (bum) turns into nipples poking out of bra tops, etc.

Having a forum dedicated to such content wouldn't solve the issue either, as unless there is a way to actively restrict someone from entering the forum if they are underage, we're back into legal territory again. Additionally, this is really not the focus of the site.

When I press tab from the reply box focus goes to the search field, if I press shift-tab it goes to post. Would be nice if that was reversed so I can do tab-space as a shortcut for post.

I just tried in the new forum software, and tabbing out of the quick post editor does go to the post button. This is most likely just an oversight on the tabindex setting on this forum.

still kinda am into moving chatmm to IRC so i can enter the room with my leet terminal IRC client

also really into the idea of a trivia bot or something in there.

should go without saying that the open air slots on watmm radio should be text to speech live transcripts of chatmm.

The biggest issue with using an IRC chat is we have no way to control access - anyone could get in regardless of their membership status.

We try not to be too heavy-handed, but sometimes we feel the need to nip things in the bud because as mentioned before, one day a bare bum, the next day a wang swinging around, etc. Some people unfortunately don't know boundaries, and others who seek to actively push them.

But would it be too hard to arrange a forum for all the WATMM artists (from aftawerks to zephyr nova and everything in between), to browse through all the artists alphabetically? Kind of arranged like a folder in windows... you could browse alphabetically by artist, and then browse all the releases they've posted on watmm alphabetically, and so on?

The threads already exist. It would just be cool to have an organized straightforward directory to browse through. Would likely lead to watmmers discovering more of each other's music.

So you mean not the Featured Artists, but the lifeblood of WATMM, the music makers?

I think what you are describing is a listing of all the music makers on WATMM, and that is a great idea - one of the things the new forum software will afford us is the ability to build custom applications (something I do similarly in my line of work) that are integrated with the forum, so theorhetically we could build an "Music Maker Directory" app that does exactly what you describe, with links to their music online, featured tracks, etc. We could also link that to threads they start so you can keep up on their latest works and engage them in discussion. Great suggestion!

be able to post fb videos

The new forum supports Facebook Video.

What about a new logo? just to fressshhhhen stuff up...

Hmm. possibly. Might even have a contest for it ;)

Excited for the radio, listening to NTS and Rinse a bit, would be cool to send in some mixes.

otherwise, everything is good.

if there is a way to just drag and drop photos and videos I'm all for it.

Unfortunately drag and drop is not supported (yet).

Make the live dates and tours subforum more up front. Maybe have live tour notifications or something. I feel like no one sees the threads in there and it's just kind of a black hole.

Agreed - as mentioned, we can build custom apps to display data from the forum. I think we could do something for this so it has more visibility.

So you mean not the Featured Artists, but the lifeblood of WATMM, the music makers?

I think what you are describing is a listing of all the music makers on WATMM, and that is a great idea - one of the things the new forum software will afford us is the ability to build custom applications (something I do similarly in my line of work) that are integrated with the forum, so theorhetically we could build an "Music Maker Directory" app that does exactly what you describe, with links to their music online, featured tracks, etc. We could also link that to threads they start so you can keep up on their latest works and engage them in discussion. Great suggestion!

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking! :happy:

Archived