IGNORED

Worst Synth Parts

gmanyo

What are the worst synth lines from songs you've heard? Bonus points for synth parts that are famous or influential, that quite possibly inspired more terrible shit.

For me, the pinnacle of this is Van Halen's Jump. Melodically and harmonically boring, and a really cheesy sounding patch. And the worst part is how much it inspired.

Controversial choice, but the synth on this has always been like fingernails down a chalkboard to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1-sXrdQtog

I love that!

+1 for McCartney and goddamn I can't even say why but it's been true for over 30 years now since I've hated it since childhood. The song itself is a tub of shite so that could be why.

They're self-referential. That's the beauty of the synth bit. I hated the song too, now I love it after realizing the batshit breakdown at 2:42 is the musical summary of the entire non-thought that went into this Christmas tune.

What are the worst synth lines from songs you've heard? Bonus points for synth parts that are famous or influential, that quite possibly inspired more terrible shit.

For me, the pinnacle of this is Van Halen's Jump. Melodically and harmonically boring, and a really cheesy sounding patch. And the worst part is how much it inspired.

Love this... people thought Eddie was out of tune but later techs figured out that the synth was playing back at 48.1, not 44.1 as it was rehearsed.

http://youtu.be/iZI9YNIB2YI

Love this... people thought Eddie was out of tune but later techs figured out that the synth was playing back at 48.1, not 44.1 as it was rehearsed.

the article you linked mostly comes to the conclusion that eddies guitar was out of tune, only one guy thought it was the synth, the other two and the authors all decided it was the guitar. i'm thinking it was the guitar because the vocals and synth seem to match ok, the guitar seems like the oddball. plus, i think it'd be pretty unlikely to have something loaded into a protools session or whatever they were using, with only that one file using an incorrect sample rate, and not being converted to the proper rate automatically or at least alerting someone to the fact that the sample rate didn't match up

damn, you guys are harsh (i fucking love that Cars song)

let's have some real bad ones

most of the song is amazing, but what the fuck is going on at 3:40 onwards?

I think he was saying that they used a shit synth patch but did it well.

I get the feeling that half of Depeche Mode was taking the piss half time. "Just Can't Get Enough" sounds great to me, mainly because of how shit it sounds.

The synth solo in this at 3:23 is one of the most famous synth solos ever and it's honestly terrible. I'm pretty sure he did it in one take.

the article you linked mostly comes to the conclusion that eddies guitar was out of tune, only one guy thought it was the synth, the other two and the authors all decided it was the guitar. i'm thinking it was the guitar because the vocals and synth seem to match ok, the guitar seems like the oddball. plus, i think it'd be pretty unlikely to have something loaded into a protools session or whatever they were using, with only that one file using an incorrect sample rate, and not being converted to the proper rate automatically or at least alerting someone to the fact that the sample rate didn't match up

I think you're on to something, my ears agree with your conclusion.

• 4 months later...

Ah! maybe this is the place to post this..! I'm trying to find music similar to the first 30 seconds of this MDE video.. not having much luck.

and to keep with the spirit of the thread here's an awful synth mess I found in another thread

Archived