IGNORED

Bonobo - Migration

DavieAddison

Not really into the track but the video is pretty cool. Lot's of weird stuff going on in the background. Floating rocks, guy getting frozen in space, someone hovering above a building, are a few i've noticed. I bet there's loads more though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good to see him at his peak of popularity. The guy is killing it and living the life but i feel like this album is moving into a territory that i no longer follow.. LP seems to have a few moments but no songs i dig..  

Happy for him but to me this LP is very mediocre on first listen.  Not really anything experimental, hardly any cool samples or classic Bonobo style bits.  Guess we have a tonne of fantastic music from him to enjoy but i didnt really see his progression going into this, modern poppy 'deep house' sound, will give it one more listen but glad i didnt buy it

I think it's important for artists to change styles and reinvent themselves to stay healthy, he's been doing that to some degree almost every album. I don't think the housy vibe is particularly exciting or anything but it sounds good(not great). there are fewer new songs that I throw into regular circulation.

I was looking up the artist's own "best of" playlist on Spotify and found it amusing that he didn't put Stay The Same on there. I think it's easily his most accomplished work and the perfect bridge between his old samply output and the newer, vocals+live stylings while retaining the triphop tempo. It's one of those tracks I've just had to listen to once a week, for a long time.

• 2 months later...

His older stuff is a lot more early 00s Ninja Tune era jazz breaks and turntablism lite, right? Not saying that's a bad thing but this stuff sounds like he's progressed a lot.

Personally this is one of the best albums I've heard this year. I get the vibe that it's too slick, pretty, and arguably too mainstream for it's own good (kind of in that "pretty advertisement / artsy big budget video with hot model" territory a lot of future beats / future bass music gives off) BUT it's done well. There's a high quality and depth to his production that makes this stand out and more in Gold Panda, Four Tet, Floating Points territory. 

I haven't heard this yet due to my turntable being out of commission, but it's on my stack (which is building up quite a bit) to listen to as soon as I can sort out my ground loop issue.

I'm looking forward to the tunes but not sure why he feels the need to be so political with his album titles. It doesn't match/suit the tunes (at least it didn't for Black Sands) so it seems unnecessary.

I haven't heard this yet due to my turntable being out of commission, but it's on my stack (which is building up quite a bit) to listen to as soon as I can sort out my ground loop issue.

I'm looking forward to the tunes but not sure why he feels the need to be so political with his album titles. It doesn't match/suit the tunes (at least it didn't for Black Sands) so it seems unnecessary.

what?

juiceciuj, on 11 Apr 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Bulk VanderHooj, on 11 Apr 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

what?

What's your question?

"Black Sands" and "Migration" are un-ambiguously political album titles that don't match the tunes in any way.

Edit: or are you curious about my turntable? lol

what?
What's your question?

"Black Sands" and "Migration" are un-ambiguously political album titles that don't match the tunes in any way.

That's like, your opinion man.

What tracks mean to him and to others are two different things. 

what?
What's your question?

they are?

what?
What's your question?

they are?

:cisfor:

what?
What's your question?

they are?

I unno', I thought it was pretty obvious but maybe I'm wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabasca_oil_sands                    Black Sands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_migrant_crisis               Migration

what?
What's your question?

they are?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabasca_oil_sands                    Black Sands

I think the point is, just because they don't sound like their track titles to you, doesn't mean they don't sound like that to someone else or even the artist.  If I call (label) a track as 'shit', does it have to be shit?

what?
What's your question?

they are?

was this addressed in like, interviews or something because holy shit those seem like some pretty big logical leaps/assumptions to make

I didn't read it anywhere, so yeah I'm making assumptions.

But the time Black Sands was released the oil sands in Alberta were big in the news with celebrities and American politicians denouncing them. Same kind of deal with Migration. I don't know, seems logical to me? I'm not sure what else he'd be referring to given the timing of the releases. Maybe I'm out to lunch, I don't know.

It's really not that important, I like most of his releases I just feel there's a disconnect between the album names and content of the tracks is all.

I didn't read it anywhere, so yeah I'm making assumptions.

But the time Black Sands was released the oil sands in Alberta were big in the news with celebrities and American politicians denouncing them. Same kind of deal with Migration. I don't know, seems logical to me? I'm not sure what else he'd be referring to given the timing of the releases. Maybe I'm out to lunch, I don't know.

It's really not that important, I like most of his releases I just feel there's a disconnect between the album names and content of the tracks is all.

I felt the same way about Tomorrow's Harvest man.

Archived