IGNORED

Oats Studios - Neill Blomkamp's new film studio

ambermonk

It looks like Blomkamp is taking a more independent, autonomous direction with his latest work. Apparently the intent behind Oats Studios is a "creative sandbox", as he describes in this article: https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/3/15703414/neill-blomkamp-oats-studios-short-films-sci-fi-district-9-chappie-elysium-rakka

I've already posted this vid in another thread, but here is Rakka, the first installment of his new series of experimental short films. Well worth a watch.

I like the idea quite a lot. Not a huge fan of Rakka but I fucking love those alien structures and I love the fact that it's all over the place and that the story is close to non-existing.

The plot is easy enough to figure out - definitely not the first "aliens invade Earth" setting. But Blomkamp's visual aesthetics are what make it stand out from most Hollywood flicks.

Don't you think there'll be more, leading somewhere? Looks like the first in many webisodes to me. Not amazing, but I'll keep watching.

Edited by Gocab

i have to say i agree with Squee. i like the fx, somewhat like the creature design and very much like the alien structures. but i found the story very boring (actually having a difficult time getting through it). 

i also like that he's decided to do his own thing outside of the studio system: really goes to show you how far gone hollywood is when the guy that got so much praise from people like james cameron and ridley scott now has to crowd fund his next film project

Edited by Nebraska

^ I saw the Damasu one this morning too. It's a nice jab at those stupid infomercials that seniors get bombarded with on cable TV every morning. Also worth noting that the word "damasu" is Japanese for "to trick" or "to deceive".

I get the feeling that this series is going to include a variety of different ideas and settings, not just focused on a single one. More or less a potpourri.

Rakka was barely watchable. Trite story, nonexistent acting and that insufferable excuse for a narrator that won't shut up.

The snark is strong with this one.

oh, there's a whole thread on this, i already started hating in the movies one. anyway, blompkamp is completely talentless, the first 15 minutes of district 9 is the only worthwhile thing he's ever done. his script/character writing abilities abilities are completely juvenile. the only thing he's got going is ripping off paul verhoeven's action films' gore aesthetic and some originality when it comes to visuals and tech design.

the chre' expressing their high regard for him was the lowest point in their career imo.

Edited by eugene

I like all this guys films, very talented guy with a hands on approach and a great storyboarder and drawer .. but doing this and calling it oats is pretentious as fuck.

oh, there's a whole thread on this, i already started hating in the movies one. anyway, blompkamp is completely talentless, the first 15 minutes of district 9 is the only worthwhile thing he's ever done. his script/character writing abilities abilities are completely juvenile. the only thing he's got going is ripping off paul verhoeven's action films' gore aesthetic and some originality when it comes to visuals and tech design.

the chre' expressing their high regard for him was the lowest point in their career imo.

I remember Sean's acknowledgement of Blomkamp's work during the AAA in early November 2013. But I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with your statement.

If anything, that mention only reinforces my admiration for him as a director. The fact that he's getting props from one of my favorite artists is further validation. Also it's clear to me that this latest move by Blomkamp means he's breaking from the shackles of Hollywood, which is mostly rampant with tired, recycled crap.

I like all this guys films, very talented guy with a hands on approach and a great storyboarder and drawer .. but doing this and calling it oats is pretentious as fuck.

I have no idea why he chose the name he did. But it doesn't really bother me.

It's a of balls of steel term, a sign he's getting too big for his boots, in south Africa a man with oats thinks he's invincible and can do anything he wants. A statement of intent. He'll need to make great things to live up to the self hype.

Chappie 2 has potential.

So it's like the old English "Sand"? 

Saw a girl driving a gigantic pickup truck with "Got Sand?" in big pink letters on the back. I want to move from Florida very soon. 

Neil is so frustrating. He and his crew could make something really incredible with their talents, but for some reason most of it just feels kinda flat. If they could manage to pair a really great story and dialog with their incredible visual and audio effects it would be magical.District 9 was getting there, and still a fun movie I suppose. 

Edited by maitake

Neil is so frustrating. He and his crew could make something really incredible with their talents, but for some reason most of it just feels kinda flat. If they could manage to pair a really great story and dialog with their incredible visual and audio effects it would be magical.District 9 was getting there, and still a fun movie I suppose. 

I know what you mean. Seems like he's in it more for artistic expression than anything. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but I will admit that none of his work so far had much in the way of plot. But at least District 9 made a decent attempt at striking a parallel to the apartheid theme.

I did watch that Fire Base yesterday. Didn't make a whole lot of sense. No explanation as to how that Vietnamese farmer became the "River God", whether it was some kind of virus or just dark magic. And that futuristic armor and electromagnetic rifle that soldier was carriying at the end was intended to "amplify his already exceptional abilities"? WTF? It's like the kind of explanation a 9-year-old would give.

I'm starting to feel regret making this thread. Shame, too, because Blomkamp's visuals are awesome. He just doesn't know how to write a fucking back story.