IGNORED

Medieval music

Lane Visitor

Anyone know of any good medieval music or inspired stuff? I've searched for it on yt but cant seem to find too much and most of it is a bit cartoonish. Looking for real music from the middle ages or modern day but dedicated to serious imitation of the era... And pure, not like the hipster baroque pop stuff, no vocals either. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2VLQr4kBg

is this correct? I'm not sure what exactly falls under that label

Oh yeah this is great, thanks! I've never listened to much Bach but it doesn't get more authentic lol

Just discovered this bad boy too

https://deaf-knight.bandcamp.com/album/radiant-ages

There's a whole movement called dungeon synth that I'd heard before but never really explored. I guess just midi interpretations of the era.

sorry guys, but bach is baroque..roughly 200 years later..

its more like guillaume de machaut ..chants, dances, songs, instrumental pieces..and mind you, "medieval" in the western music world spans over almost 1000 years..basically everything "reasonably well documented" before the renaissance

Yeah, Bach's a bit later than medieval. I can't find a decent-sounding version but 'Sumer is icumen in' is fairly legit medieval music, 13thC or thereabouts:

Lots of very beautiful choral music from this period (although there's a bit in Alan Partridge where he sings this and I can't hear it anymore without hearing him sing it):

^ That's not a good example but in the medieval period we start to see people really playing with polyphony and the possibilities of multiple voices moving against one another.

Jumping ahead to the Reformation, Thomas Tallis made some really beautiful music. This was a fairly hectic time in England, and I remember reading somewhere (possibly in the comments of this video? can't remember) that there's a real elegaic quality in his work, a sense of loss for the passing of the Catholic church and the certainty provided by that worldview, in contrast with the various competing doctrines of Protestantism. Fucking sublime music whatever way you want to interpret it:

And then a little bit later, on the late medieval/Renaissance borderline, we've got guys like Orlando Gibbons, court music for geezers in ruffs and hose:

Haven't even scratched the surface of this stuff and I'm very ignorant about medieval music from non-Western cultures, unfortunately. Loads to explore...

There's a whole bunch of early music ensembles that might scratch your itch, OP:

Possibly also stuff like this:

It's not mediscriptkiddy (actually fuck it, it might be for all I know) but Bulgarian close-harmony singing *adjusts glasses and tweed jacket* is totally ancient and otherworldly-sounding and might be up your street (skip to 14.08 to see what I mean):

I went through a period a while ago of recording weird medieval-sounding stuff but it's definitely not authentic/legit (hasn't been mixed properly either, and couldn't resist throwing in a few cheesy manoeuvres):

https://soundcloud.com/tanizaki_uk/sanctuary-serpent-prow-rough-mix

Edit: that's supposed to read 'medieval' above, not 'mediscriptkiddy', watmm autoreplaces it with that for some reason (in that one instance only), bizarre

It's not mediscriptkiddy (actually fuck it, it might be for all I know) but Bulgarian close-harmony singing *adjusts glasses and tweed jacket* is totally ancient and otherworldly-sounding and might be up your street (skip to 14.08 to see what I mean):

jeez fuck, how many wonderful things are there to hear

It's good to take a look at some ancient instruments:

Hurdy-gurdy, 12th century in Europe

Santur, ~1000 A.D. in Middle East

Saung, ~200 A.D. (pre-medieval) in Myanmar

Metal Mbira, ~700 A.D. in Central East Africa:

Qanun, ~950 A.D. in Middle East

Yeah it's a characteristic of Arab music to make use of quarter tones, I want them in my piano roll

Totally agreed. Would be a nice workflow instead of having to play with cent knob or automate pitch bends lol

I like Project Ars Nova's Ars Magis Subtiliter. Secular Music of the Chantilly Codex a lot, especially the (allegedly) hasish or opium songs.

The beginning of that second one one's not a very traditional interpretation but it's still great.

Yeah it's a characteristic of Arab music to make use of quarter tones, I want them in my piano roll

Totally agreed. Would be a nice workflow instead of having to play with cent knob or automate pitch bends lol

FM8 does microtuning.

Archived