IGNORED

Steve Albini

bendish

Everyone on here has to have a least a few albums they love on this list

^ one of my favorite songs and it was even more special when I found out he produced it - you can tell it's one take because there's a moment you can hear someone turning a page in the studio during a quiet moment

great recent interview

At Action Park for me!

And though I’m not a huge Nirvana fan, Scentless Apprentice is one of the greatest tunes ever recorded. That monolithic punk/metal/industrial riff is face ripping, and the band is just firing on all cylinders. Lyrically it’s based upon Perfume by Patrick Suskind which is one of my favourite books. So the perfect formula for a track which still blows me away today. 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:15 PM, sidewinder said:

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me

It's good, but I think her 4 track demo versions of those songs are better.  The Albini recording lacks the same immediacy.  Wouldn't be surprised if he preferred her versions too - way more punk.  It's a good album though, don't get me wrong.

Not a full album produced by Albini but this track was and is definitely a highlight.

At Action Park and Atomizer have to be some my favourite thing he’s done tho.

12 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

It's good, but I think her 4 track demo versions of those songs are better.  The Albini recording lacks the same immediacy.  Wouldn't be surprised if he preferred her versions too - way more punk.  It's a good album though, don't get me wrong.

Gonna have to revisit those demos, I think I've only listened to them once.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:07 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

I think the same is true for The Breeders - Pod: the demo sounds better than Albini's version. Albini seems to have filtered too much low end off the guitar parts (or recorded them with less low end) 

I'm really glad he worked with Neurosis for so many albums and brought out the best in them. It took me a bit to get into the band but it clicked and now I see them like a great distinctive film director or something. 

Archived