IGNORED

William Fields - FieldOS - (a study in Algorithmic music)

ignatius

there's a lot of dope stuff here.  24 pieces. each 59 minutes long ?  

https://williamfields.bandcamp.com/album/fieldsos

FieldsOS was broadcast as a weekly radio show on Resonance Extra during the first half of 2019. 
Each episode is focused on a different genre, algorithm, or approach. 
FieldsOS is 100% algorithmic music. The probabilities, conditions, and constraints were configured in advance. The output was recorded and this is the result. No curation or editing was done. 

I checked out a few of the episodes when it was first announced and liked what I heard; I need to get through the other 21 hours of it lol.  Only found out about this guy recently from a Rian Treanor mix but I really like his work.  Philly has a lot of talented people!

it's interesting to hear the algorithms transition and do weird stuff based on whatever conditions are set.  there are some great chunks. this will be great to listen to at work.

Yeah. Instantly reminds me of AE. And noticing the differences between just letting the algorithms go and the -what appears like- curating AE do. It indirectly helps appreciating ae a little bit more. And it's fun to have an algorithm go off like that and create 'solutions' and transitions almost by chance. 

^^ yes well said.. i think ae's processing, sound design, DSP fx and other stuff are way more of a signature for what the do. the FieldsOS stuff sounds like it's just more focused on set it then go type experiments without interacting beyond the design of the algorithm itself and determining a sound palette or whatever.  

there are some really wonderful moments so far in the fields stuff. dropping in mushy slippery synths and sub bass in unexpected ways. it sounds very live in some ways.. things designed to thin out then fill up. i guess that's as you said.. the algorithm "creating solutions and transitions". i find it fascinating. 

Definitely intriguing.  Unconstrained is pretty awesome. Excited to explore this release further.

I recently picked up Local Maxima after hearing his track on the Rian Treanor set.... good shit.

Discovered his stuff thanks to Rian Treanor’s Warp30 set, dived into the podcasts so I’m thrilled I can listen to it all in HD now. Some awesome moments in these, and quite fascinating to factor in that its all coded before airing, without any ‘live’ manipulation.

• 3 months later...

Archived