IGNORED

A Signal Intrusion from 1987

fumi

Watching some old Doctor Who on Britbox led me to a haunting episode I hadn't seen in decades. 'Horror of Fang Rock'

Can you imagine living in America watching late night TV back in 1987, some ten years after the episode first aired.

And then....

there as a guy on reddit who did a pretty through investigation and (allegedly) discovered who did it after interviewing police who were on the case and experts familiar with television broadcasting. supposedly, this is still an open investigation- it's just not actively investigated because there are more pressing issues to focus on.

see also captain midnight signal intrusion

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

there as a guy on reddit who did a pretty through investigation and (allegedly) discovered who did it after interviewing police who were on the case and experts familiar with television broadcasting. supposedly, this is still an open investigation- it's just not actively investigated because there are more pressing issues to focus on.

reddit thread i mentioned

"catch the wave"

14 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

reddit thread i mentioned

"catch the wave"

Great stuff. There's something I really like about this piece of media history. An episode of a 70's British Sci-Fi cult series being re-run on American TV ten years after it first aired, and then being hi-jacked by someone badly impersonating a fictitious computer-generated character from the mid 80s. It's got all the great creepy ingredients.

Plus the interruption cutting out just as Tom Baker announces "As far as I can tell, a massive electric shock. He died instantly."

interesting, had never heard about this before.

this brought to mind the scene in Batman '89, where Nicholson's Joker hijacks a tv broadcast with those insane cosmetic products. makes me wonder if the max headroom hijack was a direct influence on that scene, since it happened in late 1987 when Batman would have been in pre-production.

23 hours ago, Nebraska said:

Thanks for posting that, one of the first things about it that came to mind.

7 hours ago, zero said:

interesting, had never heard about this before.

this brought to mind the scene in Batman '89, where Nicholson's Joker hijacks a tv broadcast with those insane cosmetic products. makes me wonder if the max headroom hijack was a direct influence on that scene, since it happened in late 1987 when Batman would have been in pre-production.

this is a good one too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Television_broadcast_interruption

another list of similar incidents / mess ups, less surreal but still interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_signal_intrusion

There was a guy who used to record live tv feeds and capture often frank or unflattering candid coversations - one with Larry King and Bush comes to mind. I can't find it via google though. I saw it in a media class back in college.

Archived