IGNORED

Renoise 3.0 Beta

theres no such thing as secret updates

backstage is just for downloading renoise installers and some sample packs..

i have no idea whyd u use an older version, u can do everything you used to do + extras, always. devs make sure every version is backward compatible (or able you to make older xrns' more compatible with newer versions..)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just tried renoise 3.0 and went back to 2.8 after about 15 mins. why the fuck did they have to change the entire GUI so much (the VST handling specifically)? and why, WHY, when i press the enter key, does it only mark a select part of the track, but won't play it? such a tiny tiny detail that drives me insane. i press enter constantly without even thinking about it, just to listen to a selection of a track, but now i can't anymore? without having to press enter and then space.

i just tried renoise 3.0 and went back to 2.8 after about 15 mins. why the fuck did they have to change the entire GUI so much (the VST handling specifically)?

You're late to the party :) , missed the beta? Could have voiced your opinion, maybe influenced some of the changes. Yep, they shuffled around gui elements, at first I wasn't to sure about some of the changes, but it didn't take long to get accustomed to. Especially if you have a dual monitor set-up, you can have the instrument/sample editor on the second screen which is great imo. What exactly has changed in the vst handling? You mean we can now set-up fx chains per sample in an instrument next to the old way?

and why, WHY, when i press the enter key, does it only mark a select part of the track, but won't play it? such a tiny tiny detail that drives me insane. i press enter constantly without even thinking about it, just to listen to a selection of a track, but now i can't anymore? without having to press enter and then space.

Vaguely remember some discussion about this on the forum, can't find a un-binded substitute keyboard shortcut for it quickly, maybe ask on the Renoise forum, probably been scripted already.

I don't see any reason why Renoise shouldn't have a piano roll. It might be represented a bit weirdly in the program, but i think a piano roll is do-able (maybe a vertical one?) and would be a welcome addition if it can be toggled on or off. Fuck the traditionalists.

This is how Buzz tackled it with the optional Piano Roll view -

pianoroll_preview.png

GAH!

giphy.gif

May have been said already but I like the new instruments in 3.0 a lot. It's a little janky but having all those modulation sources and macros lets you customize samples a lot more . Plus even the ADSR envelopes' parameters are set in milliseconds so you can get really precise.

I just wish they made the LFOs realtime and made the modulation more, uh, modular - like controlling an LFO with an envelope or another LFO. Oh yeah and I don't like how all notes of an instrument are still flowing through the same DSP chain, it doesn't instantiate a new one. I hope they fix that cos it would be great for pads, especially with that chorus. But you can work around a lot of that with the instrument macros and the existing track meta-effects.

I actually really like the new UI system. I haven't used it with a dual monitor yet but yeah I imagine it rules for that.

That new pattern thingy is cool too. Like having a little LSDJ in my Renoise!

It's funny to see complaints about lack of a piano roll. I've been sequencing my hardware synths in Reaper for some new stuff I'm working on (using Reaper because I'm doing a lot of multitracking and yeah, hw synths) and using the piano roll is frustrating as fuck. An instance where I could input a fluid, evolving arpeggio using the keyboard in roughly 15 seconds in Renoise, involves having to double click every fucking note in Reaper. zole

I find programming anything on a piano roll horrible, but I guess it makes more sense visually for people compared to first seeing the tracker format.

'Dude, just use loop 8F and cut it up with '09 xx' commands, it's simple!'

I am very fluent doing melodies in reason, you can more easily stack notes and make really dense sounds. but I like doing percussion better in renoise, it's much faster and easier to comprehend that way.

so I guess for me trackers are easier to understand in time/rhythm, and pianorolls are easier to program sound wise.

Guest skibby

its taken me weeks of watching tutorials to break through the carbon fiber veil of nerdiness into renoise. still wtb.

its weird how some effects get thrown into the vol or pan column, and some parameter ranges are in based 10 and others are in hexadecimal. (also its not easy to find those ranges in documentation.)

the prospect of composing on renoise is still exhausting to this noob, but when i see new arcane tricks, i get excited once again. need more tutorials. anybody got a stash of tutorials?

Guest skibby

NM, i just used google and found an FTP of some epic XRNS tunes, and I'm doubling even tripling my synaptic allocations for renoise to make room for this.

i think it lacks (like many of these software) of simplicity, it's visually super dark and looks cold

although i know and understand all those features, and they seem really good, but the look is extremely important,

specially when you will spend hours and hours front of this,

sure it's a powerful one, but there is nothing that will make me wanna try it and leave my hardware + reason setup

you've made a great effort on this post, sorry for my negativity : /

i think it lacks (like many of these software) of simplicity, it's visually super dark and looks cold

although i know and understand all those features, and they seem really good, but the look is extremely important,

specially when you will spend hours and hours front of this,

sure it's a powerful one, but there is nothing that will make me wanna try it and leave my hardware + reason setup

you've made a great effort on this post, sorry for my negativity : /

Really? Personally I really like the interface and I think it's actually a quite simple program (for a DAW). It's the only DAW I can stand.

Actually you say it looks cold but I think it's much easier on the eyes and makes you feel more at home than, say, Logic or Reaper.

To each their own!

Guest skibby

Wanna share?

NM, i just used google and found an FTP of some epic XRNS tunes, and I'm doubling even tripling my synaptic allocations for renoise to make room for this.

Nice, where's this?

first i went to the renoise cheatsheet and it told me to use google. (renoise cheatsheet: http://www.roaldblijleven.net/renoise/cheatsheet/links.php)

then i typed this into google ?intitle:index.of? xrns

and eventually found these amazing amazing amazing amazing project files. i just listened to about half of those in the renoise 1.8 directory, and they were all very top notch.

by the way, if you dig in the parent directories, you'll see the scale of whats at that server. Is it the biggest collection of tracker history on the internet?

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, isn't that modarchive? ( http://modarchive.org/ )

Btw team Renoise has anounced a new download portal yesterday where forum users can contribute instruments, songs et cetera;

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/

It is still empty now, but I expect this to grow with content fast.

• 4 weeks later...

We're in the middle of the Redux and Renoise 3.1 release, so we haven't had much time to test the pending fixes for Renoise 3.0 which are now floating around for a while. Thus we'd thought it's probably a good idea to make a small beta test for the upcoming 3.0.1 release before making it public.

Registered users only:

To download a preview version of 3.0.1, log into https://backstage.renoise.com, then click on this link here: https://backstage.re...es/BetaReleases

---

What's new:

3.0.1 contains bug fixes only, no feature changes. 3.1 will be the next release with feature changes.

- fixed startup problems with the plugin bridge on some systems (could happen when for example the arial.ttf font is missing)

- relatime recording of notes (with the computer keyboard or MIDI) often was a bit off in 3.0. This should be fixed now, at least should be better now.

- many NI VST plugins tend to crash on OSX when opening and closing its external editor very very quickly. This is not a Renoise bug, happens in every host, but happened quite easily in Renoise when quickly scrolling though the instrument list. Should happen less often now.

- fixed a few quirks and crashes in the Lua API

- fixed various small issues with phrases and auto-seek (phrases should never be auto-seeked)

See http://forum.renoise...ding-bug-fixes/ for the complete list of fixes please.

---

If everything looks good, we'll publish the 3.0.1 builds officially end of next week.

Found an issue? Then please reply to this topic here to report.

Thanks for the help!

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/42962-301-for-registered-users-small-bugfix-preview-release/

are updates normally incremented by .1?

nah can't say, this is pretty variable and depends on the amount of work, what new features are implemented. Check out the version increments 'backstage', and open the notes textfile that comes with the installation to see what each new version brings to the table.

Guest LucidVibes

Hello, just a quick question. I recently started using Renoise, v2.8. I have been playing around with the sample editor as it seems quite cool for sound design. I have made some percussive hits in the sample editor. How do I then add the samples I created to the pattern sequencer?

Also I would like to be able to export the samples individually as wav. files as I am making a sample library, I can't seem to figure it out. I would appreciate it if any one could help me. thanks ! :)

Hello, just a quick question. I recently started using Renoise, v2.8. I have been playing around with the sample editor as it seems quite cool for sound design. I have made some percussive hits in the sample editor. How do I then add the samples I created to the pattern sequencer?

Also I would like to be able to export the samples individually as wav. files as I am making a sample library, I can't seem to figure it out. I would appreciate it if any one could help me. thanks ! :)

Go through the beginner tutorials on this page on how to enter notes in the pattern editor;

http://www.renoise.com/tutorials

You can use the diskop to save samples, make sure you select the sample tab and insert a name at the bottom (not sure if it looks the same as in 3.0, been a while :-)), then press save. There might be tools for batch saving, can't remember.

Archived