IGNORED

Does anyone here make money with the music they make?

I'm asking because I'm curious. Also because I need money because my chosen career path ain't one of those money bin ones. I'm less interested in album / song sales because we all know that model is long gone. So what about licensing and the like? I don't think there are lot of video games pumpin' IDM out there, so has anyone found success using software to make iphone app electronic pop pieces? Now, you might say, "Friend, you simply lack the talent necessary for selling your creations," and that may be true. But I'm not trying to topple Warp here, just trying to make a little extra scratch with my hobby.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made $50 off a noise album I released on bandcamp a couple years ago. And I've drank a lot of free beer at gigs I've played with bands. But beyond that, not really.

*actually, if you can get music in the hands of people who scope out music for TV and film, you can make some decent money off royalties if anything ends up getting used. Something of mine got used in a very minor TV series yeeeears back (by fluke) and the occasional royalty cheque still appears. It's really been pocket change though.

Don't expect to make any kind of significant money off of the music you make. Expect to make money off of the music other people tell you to make.

There is a compromise here depending on the context. If you're making music for a client, they don't want to think about the music too much. Hence the reason they get a producer to make it. You need to present them something that you think works, they suggest some minor changes, and then you try to make it seem it was their idea. They'll have that endorphine boost of feeling like they've accomplished something with you and they will rehire you to get that feeling again.

I'm being a little facetious, but I'm too not far off.

Don't expect to make any kind of significant money off of the music you make. Expect to make money off of the music other people tell you to make.

I think this is exactly right. So then, how does one get in the position of taking requests for music that people want?

There is a compromise here depending on the context. If you're making music for a client, they don't want to think about the music too much. Hence the reason they get a producer to make it. You need to present them something that you think works, they suggest some minor changes, and then you try to make it seem it was their idea. They'll have that endorphine boost of feeling like they've accomplished something with you and they will rehire you to get that feeling again.

I'm being a little facetious, but I'm too not far off.

No, you're pretty much spot on, hehe :)

I think this is exactly right. So then, how does one get in the position of taking requests for music that people want?

I got an education and expanded my network at the same time :)

I make about $200 off each album I release, which is a nice little bonus. I also play a gig once every month or two, but rarely get paid for them; that said though, the free drinks and occasional reimbursement for travel/other expenses is quite nice.

Does anyone here actually listen to the music they make?

I do sometimes; it's a bit sad if you don't make music for your own personal enjoyment!

Guest brendyman

Off the music I like to make in my own time? No. Not at all.

However, I've had some odd music-related jobs here and there that I can use to fund my hobby. I do sound design and scoring work for independent short films occasionally, and that brings in a little pocket change. I won 6th place in a Got Milk video contest with my sister and got $500 ($250 each, we split it): http://vimeo.com/78704033, which I did the sound design, music, and voiceover for.

My biggest music job is one that is currently in the works, but my former high school district is paying my sister and I to make a video to encourage out-of-state teachers to teach in Arizona. They're paying me $800 for the sound design, music, and voiceover.

Hopefully the future holds something bigger, though

if u r in it for the money u r in the wrong game music is for the love. not the money that might follow ??? but if the idea of i will make a recording studio to make money then??

biggest cheque i have had was for 4k off some dnb tunes which was quite unexpected. and just brought more hardware with that. wish u all the best on your mission :)

playing gigs is probably most effective even for big names i guess. though not every good musician is or want to be a good performer and vice versa...

agreed gigs pay quite well :)

lol not in my town, or at least, not with my lack of popularity (though it's getting better)

.. well, tbh, when I do get paid it's not bad, but I probably get paid for one gig out of every ten I play. I don't mind really; if I wanted to make more money I'd probably look into merch and/or physical releases to sell at shows—I made a bunch of money last year from selling limited run records and figurines with download cards.

do i make a living out if? nope

do i make some money? yes

i make most money off music by playing live. the system is usually that you set up an entrance fee and split the money with whoever you play with, club just gives you drinks unless you're famous and they know people will show up. and that's that. and probably why i almost never play out of the two towns i live in, too risky.

to make money live you need to be fun live. like, have something going on. i used to play with a laptop, a sytnh an some effects and made some decent money. but once i switched to just laptop the money kinda vanished. i know play with analog sytnhs, a sampler and some effects so i expect to be very wealthy soon.

it's also nice to have merch. people like merch. i remember when i my tape was out and i played first few gigs i made some decent money off of them. but that dries up quickly if you play two cities all the time.

Archived