IGNORED

Are you an Album track skipper/editor/deleter?

hello spiral

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't delete but I do cut tracks up sometimes, e.g. Black Dog's Bytes - my CD version has the "bolt" tracks lumped together with adjacent "proper" tracks. I cut them apart and have them as separate tracks

exactly! mine too, cutting stuff up is needed...

I'll always listen to an album in its entirety for 3 or 4 plays. Afterwards I give the tracks a rating and those with 5 star status get added to my playlist for that artist. This playlist is shuffled every time i play it. I might have separate playlists if artists work is diverse in style but for the most part, I cant be bothered to do that. I have about 11,000 tracks on this hard drive, many thousands of which I most probably won't listen to again. But I don't want o delete them, they don't deserve that, so they sit here, silently, taking up space that would probably otherwise only be filled by some stupid steam sale purchase.

I used to edit out the silence in bonus tracks. You know, that 90's thing where CDs had 30 mins of silence followed by either someone farting or a cool track. I don't do it as much as I no longer use minidisc but man, those were annoying.

Thank fuck no-one does THAT any more.

Yep that too.

Actually a friend of mine used to have an extensive ska and reggae collection on CD, which he only listened to on a stereo. He'd just take the CD out once it went quiet, consequently there were dozens of hidden tracks on his albums that he was completely unaware of. He only found out about them when I borrowed a stack of albums from him and ripped them

But for everyone except my friend, "hidden" tracks are just annoying and not hidden at all

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

no, that's fucked up. i think most of the artists in our sphere release their music as complete albums and they should be approached as such if the idea is to get artist's intentions and ideas. skipping/deleting tracks would be akin to removing objects or particular colors from a painting.

equing and bpm correcting?? fucking puke in my mouth.

100% this.

That said though I do change the order of tracks in an album if I don't feel like it flows as well as it could. I usually change the track names to ones that are more memorable. Sometimes I edit the tracks a little. If there's a bit in a track I really like I copy it and repeat it a few times to make the track better. If there are annoying blarps I usually edit them out because I don't like annoying blarps very much. Sometimes if I feel a track needs a bit more of something I'll add things to it to make it better, like recording a better chorus or something. If I don't like the vibe of a part of an album I may completely re-record it from scratch. It can be time consuming but I think the results are definitely worth it. It takes quite a lot of time and energy to meditate long enough so I can get into the same headspace the artist was in when they made the album, but once I'm there I usually do a better job of making the music than they did in the first place. I usually replace the album art with something more suitable. Sometimes if I feel one piece of album art goes better with a different album I'll just swap it. Sometimes I make my own, depends how I feel at the time really. I remaster everything so that it sounds consistent (can't stand it when one album is mastered differently to another, really spoils the experience imo). I use an album from 1992 as my guide, paying close attention to the transients and scrutinising the waveforms meticulously as I go.

You can buy a car and just drive it about - or you can change the bodywork, pimp the engine and give it crazy bouncy hydraulic suspension to please the ladies. That's what I do with my music collection.

Yes. The only album I haven't touched since its perfect is Ravedeath 1972 by Mr. Hecker.

Touché.

Now you've made me reverse my whole argument.

I only tried to listen to Ravedeath once and turned it off half way through.

Fucking awful album.

Good thread but this is wrong.

Also, lololol at adjusting the EQ on albums.

Does the loudness button count? Most music sounds like shit on my system without it

I was really interested in reading about what the loudness button actually does and is intended for. I find music at high volume sounds far better and more dynamic with the loudness button off.

Gotta say though, talking about the loudness stting is very subjective. My current amp has a very agressive loudness setting while my previous one had a better, way more subtle/'respectful' one.

Yes. The only album I haven't touched since its perfect is Ravedeath 1972 by Mr. Hecker.

Touché.

Now you've made me reverse my whole argument.

I only tried to listen to Ravedeath once and turned it off half way through.

Fucking awful album.

Good thread but this is wrong.

Also, lololol at adjusting the EQ on albums.

Does the loudness button count? Most music sounds like shit on my system without it

I was really interested in reading about what the loudness button actually does and is intended for. I find music at high volume sounds far better and more dynamic with the loudness button off.

Gotta say though, talking about the loudness stting is very subjective. My current amp has a very agressive loudness setting while my previous one had a better, way more subtle/'respectful' one.

The loudness setting on a stereo is quite effective for playing something quite ambient at a low volume in the early hours of the morning imo.

It's supposed to boost the levels of high and low frequencies (not so much mid). How it boosts it is probably different from amp to amp though.

I would sooner delete the whole album/get rid of the album then I would delete a track.

this is what i do. if i delete a single track, i feel like i'm losing something essential that the artist/group thought was important enough to include. i'd rather skip it rather than delete it, but even that rarely happens because i like to listen to records in their entirety

I don't think I'd ever have really got into albums like Oriol's night & day by skipping to my favourite bits, the use of vocals on that album flow really well throughout the course of it... I suppose it's just down to personally taste but I'd rather take the rough with the smooth if that makes sense... Listening to an LP and knowing my favourite track(s) are coming gives me that sense of anticipatience (did I spell that right lol) which I wouldn't get otherwise.

But that's just like my opinion man.

edit: also my favourite tracks on that Oriol LP are the ones I wasn't so keen on before, listening to it as a full work of art (which is what it is really) helped me understand those tracks better.

Also, the only thing I can compare it to is skipping through one of my favourite films get to the best bit, I'd only end up missing those subtle changes which help make up the story as a whole.

Or sumink.

all you guys that force yourself through sections of an album because you feel it was the artist intended, thats nuts. but whatever

also, altering eq's and editing tracks, thats also pretty nuts. but whatever.

i really just feel everyone should do whatever the tits they want. thats my strongest opinion on the subject really.

that oriol album is fantastic.

just saying.

seems like flew right under everyone's radar.

It is indeed, I listened to it all summer. Most of it sounded like fillers to me at first but when I got into what he was doing with the vocals on there... Well the fillers turned out to be my favourite jams. It took a fair amount of listening but it really did pay off, it's like it took me an age to tune into the sounds on there properly.

This happens a lot to me with loads of albums.

I feel like I need to hear stuff as they were intended to fully understand what's going on... what the artist is trying to convey.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

all you guys that force yourself through sections of an album because you feel it was the artist intended, thats nuts. but whatever

also, altering eq's and editing tracks, thats also pretty nuts. but whatever.

i really just feel everyone should do whatever the tits they want. thats my strongest opinion on the subject really.

LOL, I'd never force myself to listen to anything... I know what I like and inevitably there's always tracks on an album that don't do it for me at first. All I'm saying is I prefer to listen to them in full and really get deep into what's going on.

Maybe we just have different listening styles, nowt wrong with that man.

Actually I did change the artwork for one or two, like Boys for Pele by Tori Amos - I thought the picture of her suckling a piglet was a better cover

Here's one that will make people mad - I added Gantz Graf to Confield and removed Lentic Catachresis

I'll admit I skip through the first 22 minutes of Goldie's track - Mother.

There is a VIP edit on the Rings of Saturn EP

Here's one that will make people mad - I added Gantz Graf to Confield and removed Lentic Catachresis

You. Did. What.

I'll admit I skip through the first 22 minutes of Goldie's track - Mother.

There is a VIP edit on the Rings of Saturn EP

diff track though! completely diff, is it not? The bassline is different.

no, that's fucked up. i think most of the artists in our sphere release their music as complete albums and they should be approached as such if the idea is to get artist's intentions and ideas. skipping/deleting tracks would be akin to removing objects or particular colors from a painting.

100% this.

That said though I do change the order of tracks in an album if I don't feel like it flows as well as it could. I usually change the track names to ones that are more memorable. Sometimes I edit the tracks a little. If there's a bit in a track I really like I copy it and repeat it a few times to make the track better. If there are annoying blarps I usually edit them out because I don't like annoying blarps very much. Sometimes if I feel a track needs a bit more of something I'll add things to it to make it better, like recording a better chorus or something. If I don't like the vibe of a part of an album I may completely re-record it from scratch. It can be time consuming but I think the results are definitely worth it. It takes quite a lot of time and energy to meditate long enough so I can get into the same headspace the artist was in when they made the album, but once I'm there I usually do a better job of making the music than they did in the first place. I usually replace the album art with something more suitable. Sometimes if I feel one piece of album art goes better with a different album I'll just swap it. Sometimes I make my own, depends how I feel at the time really. I remaster everything so that it sounds consistent (can't stand it when one album is mastered differently to another, really spoils the experience imo). I use an album from 1992 as my guide, paying close attention to the transients and scrutinising the waveforms meticulously as I go.

You can buy a car and just drive it about - or you can change the bodywork, pimp the engine and give it crazy bouncy hydraulic suspension to please the ladies. That's what I do with my music collection.

FLOL! :derp:

100% this.

FLOL! :derp:

epic

Anyone remember that loon on watmm that made his own version of Squarepusher's The Coathanger where he dubbed himself saying 'squarepusher' over every utterance of 'coathanger'?

Somebody pls find the video lol

Guest Enter a new display name

I listen religiously to the 79 5-second silent tracks from Jimmy Edgar's Color Strip every time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Anyone remember that loon on watmm that made his own version of Squarepusher's The Coathanger where he dubbed himself saying 'squarepusher' over every utterance of 'coathanger'?

Somebody pls find the video lol

lol, why doesn't it surprise me it was phudoshin's doing (sadly vid no longer exists but I think I found the thread)

Archived