IGNORED

William Basinski - Cascade

fumi

• 3 months later...

I knew I'd heard it somewhere before .... It's a cleaned up version of :

(EDIT: oops, just noticed Friendly Foil said the same thing back in November!)

Can see why it took him nearly two years since the last album, finding a slightly different setting on your tape delay unit must be knackering...

• 4 weeks later...

William did all these tracks originally back in the late 70s, early 80s right? He's released loads of archival works, to the point where he's re-releasing music with different delay settings etc... Is he really that dry already? What exactly has he been doing in the 30 years since? Surely he must have made some more music since then?

It's all quite weird really. Love his music and he's a nice guy, but this release does seem a little lazy, if that track is any indication. I wonder how many of his fans will notice/even care.

the fixation on "delay settings" rather than music in these replies is some real cry-baby shit and indicates a lack of familiarity with basinski's catalogue. over the 20 or so albums he's put out the theme of variation is explored quite regularly. hell, even the disintegration loops contains 3 variations of the "dlp1." there are also albums of long-form works of piano loops and feedback that find themselves in miniature form on "melancholia." these two new albums seem to be a continuation of variations on a theme which is not only an artistic device found throughout basninski's work but is quite obviously found throughout the works of many artists.

i really don't see what the point is complaining about this. you're either down with billy b or not but it's not like this is some new low of laziness; the dude has always been interested in exploring how loops interact with each other through feedback systems and how the results can lead to subtle but completely unique experiences. while this might seem not "new" enough for some, this is minimalist music we're dealing with here wtf do you expect?

I had a hearty lol at a headline I saw today about an upcoming release of his

it said something like 'William Basinski, tape loop master'
isnt it a little problematic that your claim to fame is *still* 'tape loop master' in 2015?

I had a hearty lol at a headline I saw today about an upcoming release of his

it said something like 'William Basinski, tape loop master'

isnt it a little problematic that your claim to fame is *still* 'tape loop master' in 2015?

yeah man what a loser. he makes tape loops haha scum.

Archived