IGNORED

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene 3

fumi

Jean-Michel Jarre will release a new album, Oxygene 3, in December, 40 years after the original Oxygene album brought the French musician mainstream success. The release will be available separately or as part of an Oxygene Trilogy.

Commenting on the new album Jarre noted “What made the first Oxygene so different at the time, is probably the minimalist aspect, and the fact that there are almost no drums, and I wanted to keep this approach, creating the groove mainly with the sequences and the structure of the melodies only, through an architecture of sounds.”

I'm pretty excited about this. Love the older albums. Even BOC sampled him.

Even BOC sampled him.

What ? Where ? Never heard that, would be glad if you could tell me where this/these samples are (I'm always in awe when I discover samples long after hearing the track for the first time !)

As for the Oxygen album, the first one obviously got me into synth music, but I never really bothered listening to the second album because I can't help but think of it as some kind of cash-grab...Feel the same about a 3rd instalment but maybe I should give it a listen !

I'm wary of this, because I haven't liked anything he's done for nineteen years now. On the other hand, the last album of his I liked was Oxygene 7-13, so my hopes are a little higher. Certainly being inspired by those early works could produce something interesting rather than the trance/EDM stuff he was putting out for quite a few years, or that album that used a ton of Reason presets.

I'm wary of this, because I haven't liked anything he's done for nineteen years now. On the other hand, the last album of his I liked was Oxygene 7-13, so my hopes are a little higher. Certainly being inspired by those early works could produce something interesting rather than the trance/EDM stuff he was putting out for quite a few years, or that album that used a ton of Reason presets.

Yeah, I'm with you. 7-13 was the last record of his I bought. Back in the late 90s.

His first few albums were stellar (Oxygene, Equinoxe and Magnetic Fields). Zoolook was mind blowing back in the day. Even now, I've never had a record make such a big impact on me although it sounds fairly tame now.

Hoping he'll steer back on course with this one. I'm a huge fan of most of his work, he did a lot of overlooked stuff since the early works, but the most recent album I really enjoyed was Geometry of Love which was like 13 years ago.

Hoping he'll steer back on course with this one. I'm a huge fan of most of his work, he did a lot of overlooked stuff since the early works, but the most recent album I really enjoyed was Geometry of Love which was like 13 years ago.

To be sure. I wouldn't have even bothered starting this thread if it wasn't a true follow-up to the previous two Oxygene albums.

I'm assuming he's put some effort into this one as Oxygene is really his legacy.

Oxygene, Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, Zoolook, Chronologie and 7-13 are all incredible. I was also really surprised at how good the title track of Waiting for Costeau is, given that it's totally unlike anything else he's done, and given his taste for sometimes very sickly sweet melodies it could have easily veered straight into new age schlock.

Yeah, the Cousteau Title track was very nice. Lots of people were doing that kind of stuff back then so it didn't really get a lot of credit. The album itself didn't do that well. I still like the album but the title track is the best. He never did anything like that again. I don't think his listeners liked it - it wasn't very Jarre like for them. to be honest, I'd have liked that track to have been the whole album.

I always get goosebumps with his early works.... my mom used to listen to this a lot (a big thing in france it was), saying it was the music's future. A funny thing is that it still sounds sci-fi, right ? Like retro futuring or some shit.

Ps

I'm still in love with equinoxe 2

I always get goosebumps with his early works.... my mom used to listen to this a lot (a big thing in france it was), saying it was the music's future. A funny thing is that it still sounds sci-fi, right ? Like retro futuring or some shit.

Ps

I'm still in love with equinoxe 2

http://youtu.be/v72kceqZ8W0

my mum went to see him live back in the day and i could never picture her listening to anything like this (infact i couldn't see her going to any gig unless it were jazz or soul), it's weird because he was that popular that even people who aren't into it would have some interest in it.

Last really good album he did IMO is Chronologie. Really hope he's done something serious here and it's not shit. Please don't put that Edward Snowden track on it lol

also lol @ limmy

That's the first time I've been hit with the Soundcloud Go paywall. What the fuck's the point in doing that for preview tracks for a forthcoming album - which are, for all intents and purposes, the modern equivalent of radio singles.

Opening sounds were almost exactly the same as those used on the first two, which is probably to be expected. Sounded like it was leading to something else though. I can't actually have an opinion on it and it hasn't made me want to buy the album any more / less. Well done JMJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, as far as lead singles go it's not really up there with 4 and 8 but it's reasonable enough I suppose.

I agree. It's kind of catchy but I'd have zero interest in this album if it wasn't an Oxygene effort. I'm hoping he's put some serious thought into the rest of the album. 

Archived