IGNORED

Warp record bandcamp

d-a-m-o

good for Warp i guess? i do enjoy people having options and Bandcamp is great, but...

(rant below don’t click)

Spoiler

bad news for the thousands of unknown artists who are going to get even less exposure/cash because a bunch of boring shits want to buy Drukqs for the fourth time and so the feeds and front page exposure and charts all reflect tried and true long time Warp musicians who don’t need yet another fucking store face. i bet you couldn’t count the places you can buy/stream their music digitally already. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, auxien said:

good for Warp i guess? i do enjoy people having options and Bandcamp is great, but...

(rant below don’t click)

Reveal hidden contents

bad news for the thousands of unknown artists who are going to get even less exposure/cash because a bunch of boring shits want to buy Drukqs for the fourth time and so the feeds and front page exposure and charts all reflect tried and true long time Warp musicians who don’t need yet another fucking store face. i bet you couldn’t count the places you can buy/stream their music digitally already. 

have some faith in bandcamp. i'm sure they'll do a feature story on a new label like warp joining bandcamp but i expect they will maintain their mission to support/feature/promote independent artists and small labels. i think they will continue to dance w/the date that brought them to the dance. 

this also may send out some waves to attract more labels etc to bandcamp so we'll see how that turns out.  there's already other boutique and niche labels on bandcamp though. ghostly etc.. 

i'm still going to buy from bleep or directly from labels like raster noton etc though..  i already have an account there and i like the preorder deals and direct communication etc. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, auxien said:

(rant below don’t click)

Reveal hidden contents

i disagree, this can only bring more people to buy things on bandcamp and be aware bandcamp exists

which is good for everyone

Edited by fxbip
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, ignatius said:

have some faith in bandcamp. i'm sure they'll do a feature story on a new label like warp joining bandcamp but i expect they will maintain their mission to support/feature/promote independent artists and small labels. i think they will continue to dance w/the date that brought them to the dance. 

this also may send out some waves to attract more labels etc to bandcamp so we'll see how that turns out.  there's already other boutique and niche labels on bandcamp though. ghostly etc.. 

i'm still going to buy from bleep or directly from labels like raster noton etc though..  i already have an account there and i like the preorder deals and direct communication etc. 

I have to say, as it stands I love Bandcamp. But I do wish someone would step up as a proper competitor to keep them honest.

So far BCs instincts have been spot on with regards to serving the needs of artists while also getting theirs in a sustainable way, but the VC backing behind it gives me pause. I always wonder when they're going to turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ignatius said:

32 minutes ago, fxbip said:

i disagree, this can only bring more people to buy things on bandcamp and be aware bandcamp exists

which is good for everyone

y’all may be right. i hope so. i definitely enjoy seeing Bandcamp grow, but i wasn’t hoping it was because of shit like this to be quite honest. maybe it’s necessary? idk man, idk. 

• Like 1

I think the reason is that simply there is money to be made + Bandcamp is a cool site.

I would rather buy on bandcamp to have it in my bandcamp collection than on Bleep.

To have everything in one place.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I wonder why they've chosen to get a Bandcamp when their Bleep site does/has everything already - cheaper hosting than their Cloudfront cloud maybe ?

Yeah man it's marketing basically. Another place to get the music in the face. Fine.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fxbip said:

I think the reason is that simply there is money to be made + Bandcamp is a cool site.

I would rather buy on bandcamp to have it in my bandcamp collection than on Bleep.

To have everything in one place.

That's actually an excellent reason to buy from BC versus Bleep - plus the BC player puts all your music at your fingertips as you said.

A shame they never built out Bleep to have that capability...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

That's actually an excellent reason to buy from BC versus Bleep - plus the BC player puts all your music at your fingertips as you said.

A shame they never built out Bleep to have that capability...

Every single time i buy the new releases from Squarepusher or Aphex or Autechre on Bleep only thing that came to mind was ''ugh, i wish i could just buy it on bandcamp already''

So now there it is.I'm personally very happy it's now possible.

Edited by fxbip

1 minute ago, fxbip said:

Every single time i buy the new releases from Squarepusher or Aphex or Autechre on Bleep only thing that came to mind was ''ugh, i wish i could just buy it on bandcamp already''

So now there it is.I'm personally very happy it's now possible.

Except having to rebuy it all if you really want it on BC...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stickfigger said:

Warp music at my fingertips with Spotify innit 

True (and with Apple Music as well), but you're not really supporting the artist as much as with BC and other platforms where you actually buy the music...

12 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Except having to rebuy it all if you really want it on BC...

Well i don't have the full catalogue.The extent to which you accept to be fucked by Warp by buying again is up to everyone i guess haha ( i think they perfectly are aware lots of people are gonna rebuy stuff just for collection sake)

But the fact it's now available for future releases is what matters most to me.I did buy new AE on bandcamp and it feels more natural and practical to do it that way.Only music i bought on Bleep was warp.

New generation of music listener will be able to get it nicely on bandcamp.If anything im surprised they didnt do the move sooner.Planet Mu been there for ages.

Edited by fxbip