IGNORED

Aril Brikha - Deeparture in Time

Alcofribas

this record fucking rules my god. every sound is just so perfect and round, just like pure lushness and depth. i was listening to this today lying on my couch before a storm came in and it was so perfect, just so chill and dreamy. kind of reminds me a bit of Sterac - but imo Aril has a deeper sound, Steric's is a bit more clean (in a good way though, no dis). anyway, just wanted to have a thread for us to post about this one.

https://artofvengeance.bandcamp.com/album/deeparture-in-time-revisited

• Like 6

Yup. Love Aril's work!

To me, Aril is more about what "they call" Tech Soul. Or soul techno. Sterac is more techno, imo. Slightly more emphasis on the rhythms and the dance floor. With Aril, when I imagine his work being plaid on the dance floor, I'd probably stop dancing and just be mesmerised by the melodies and all that. Despite there def being a strong beat underneath. It's the Acid Eiffel experience, I guess. If Laurent Garnier only made tracks like Acid Eiffel, he'd probably end up somewhere where Aril Brikha is.

Have every moment and nuance of this wonderful album memorized. Superlative in every respect. Less is more. One small gripe is that it starts kind of slow— first few tracks are probably my least favorite. Fuknit is goated but there are so many other good ones.

Happy memory: seeing moodymann in Helsinki and he ended his set with groove la chord. Fucking destroyed the place absolutely everyone going mental. He was drunk as shit and just fucking around in the booth but it didn’t matter because the track is 10/10.

There’s something like 4 pieces of kit on this entire album. Insane. Take note gearslutz

• Like 2

Yah, it's good and properly balanced, unfortunately he soon became a sort of normie melodic tech producer. 

Tho my favourite track from him is not on Revisited and came a couple of years later, a sort of mid ground between sensitive minimalist Detroitism on Transmat and all-out poppy disco-trance vibes that came later. It's also self-aware in lyrics "Clarity. Simplicity. Perfection"

I'm reminded not of Sterac, but another Dutch dood Joris Voorn's early stuff (It ain't Our World), it's also faster and clubbier, but has the same type of construction:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

another great aril track from that era that was on an francois K compilation or something. 

Didn't know he released that one too, heard it in the same live with Simplicity, my another fave this one then, thanks.

It sounds like he re-used the drum pattern on More Human from Ex Machina (2007)

https://artofvengeance.bandcamp.com/track/more-human

On 9/14/2021 at 1:44 AM, Alcofribas said:

this record fucking rules my god. every sound is just so perfect and round, just like pure lushness and depth. i was listening to this today lying on my couch before a storm came in and it was so perfect, just so chill and dreamy. kind of reminds me a bit of Sterac - but imo Aril has a deeper sound, Steric's is a bit more clean (in a good way though, no dis). anyway, just wanted to have a thread for us to post about this one.

https://artofvengeance.bandcamp.com/album/deeparture-in-time-revisited

That was a nice throwback. I completely forgot about this record, and I grooved on it plenty back in the day. Thanks.

• Like 1