IGNORED

Listening on the wrong RPM

BahaMan69

I probably listened to my vinyl copy of Come To Daddy about 50+ times before I realized it was a 45rpm record, and not a 33".

Turns out I had been torturing myself to an extended, 6 minute version of "Come to Daddy (Pappy mix)" for no reason at all.  After years of playing it wrong, I finally bumped up to 45" and now it's like a brand new fucking record. 

"IIIII WWAAANNTTT YOUUUURRR SOOOULLLLLL" sounds a lot better than "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTT  YYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUUURRRRRRRRR SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLL."

What Aphex Twin releases have you flat out mis-heard repeatedly?

Edited by BahaMan69
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not Aphex records, but there are two others that I listen to at the "wrong" speed. It's Funkstörung's Funkentstört, which officially plays at 45rpm and Jeswa's Skone, which is 33rpm. Both these speeds feel very wrong to me, and play them at the other speed. I even feel bad for the people who listen to it at the official speeds... (or have the digis)

Edited by t yst r
  • Like 1

When Drukqs came out my brother bought the vinyl on the day of release (I was 12 at the time but heavily into AFX) and he ripped what he thought were the "normal" tracks for me on CD-r (so Vordhosbn etc.), all on 33. As the first 2 records are meant to be played on 45 I had the wrong versions for a few months, until I bought the CD myself. Still have the rip of the slower versions tho, as it's so nostalgic now. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Herr Jan said:

When Drukqs came out my brother bought the vinyl on the day of release (I was 12 at the time but heavily into AFX) and he ripped what he thought were the "normal" tracks for me on CD-r (so Vordhosbn etc.), all on 33. As the first 2 records are meant to be played on 45 I had the wrong versions for a few months, until I bought the CD myself. Still have the rip of the slower versions tho, as it's so nostalgic now. 

Vordhosbn is great at 33 RPM. Amazing drum programming.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BahaMan69 said:

This is timestretched to 33 rather than slowed down like you'd hear it playing at the wrong speed right -  I'm not going crazy ?!

Not Aphex but I heard Robert Hood's Minus incorrectly played twice at 33 in two completely different mix sets before hearing it at the correct speed. Definitely love it at this slower tempo, turns it into like a trip-hop techno hybrid:

• Like 1

happened to me long time ago with valdislav delay "entain" ep.

was playing 33rmp but it's actually a 45rpm. you have no info on the record and i didn't check the digitals at the time. I bought this one without knowing the record itself but I had to complete an order so as to have free shipping and I listened to some vladislav delay somehow somewhere and it was nice so I ordered it without knowing what was on this one.

as it's a double 12" with one track per side , I should have guess it was 45rpm, but I was a young starter  at that time I did'nt know anything about 12" lol

yet, as it's ambient slow tracks, it worked fine this way.

once have a doubt with some scorn also but quickly figured out it was 33 because scorn tempos are usually slow.

45 minutes ago, DavieAddison said:

yeah right.  ....there's an aphex live show where he played a slowed down version of this track, iirc.

not as slow as this, though, and tuned same as the original, while with vinyl slowed down the key is shifted down, of course.

Edited by neurone

1 hour ago, Herr Jan said:

what? really? I don't member switching between rpm's when I listened to it on wax... and I didn't notice any difference when I heard it on digital... wtf...

33 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

This is timestretched to 33 rather than slowed down like you'd hear it playing at the wrong speed right -  I'm not going crazy ?!

yes this is time stretched with preserved pitch... it will never sound like this if you play it on wax @ 33 rpm's...

not same but i once listened to a mp3 that had so many artifacts, so many compression flaws, that for some reason i thought it was part of the song, and that this 1960s song was somehow using advanced electronic music production techniques

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavieAddison said:

These sped up drukqs tracks sound just as good as the originals. I bet when they were being created RDJ was writing them slowed down.  

Back in the day, I remember I listened to AB4 4 or 5 times on 33rpm before realizing it was supposed to be 45rpm. That ep is pretty crispy and massive already and I remember thinking it was his weirdest album because of how chunky and slow it sounded. When I finally listened it on 45 I felt like it was too fast so I toggled back and forth a bit each time I listened to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 6:50 PM, Summon Dot E X E said:

some of the songs on drukqs really sound to me like they actually were created at a slower tempo and then sped up via playback rate shift.

i’ve thought this since release. if stretched to the right extent, some might be album length tracks in their own right? always just sounded too fast at the tempo they were released in. as though he was experimenting with making long and slow then truncating with upping the rpm.

• Like 1

I had the Cheetah EP playing at 45 rpm while ripping it, and listened to that rip for months in blissful ignorance. The 33 rpm version still sounds wrong to me.

Also, watching the Manchester gig in 2019, I somehow managed to have two tabs open and playing audio on my PC with several seconds time difference between them and didn't realize it until 15 min or so into the set when I hit pause and it kept playing. It sounded p good actually.

Edit: Not that it makes much of a difference, but it was actually Field Day in 2017. In case someone wants to try it, lol.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1