IGNORED

Why do people listen to Aphex Twin?

Guest The Bro

Guest Promo

If you check peeps profiles on sites such as Last FM, MySpace often they'll listen to a lot of fag music and then under the list of shit crops up Aphex. Then it occurs to me why don't they delve any deeper than the afxness? Do they just listen to it to appear 'cool' or because they want something to 'chill' to? Seriously I don't get it!?!?! To me it just stands out so sharply to fag music so why would folks listen to him?!?!? :huh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Arthur Jigzmo

MAN, THAT APHEX TWIN SOUNDS LIKE SOME ONE PUT A BUNCH OF DRUMS IN A PAPER BAG AND SHOOK IT AROUND ALOT, MAN!!!!

Guest Promo
afx is 60% shite, maybe they like that something of 60% and therefore it kind of fits with their list of fag music..

Seriously you believe that? :huh: I'd agree that 'Analord' wasn't up to scratch but I'd never rate AFX in the same league as fag music .... no ways.

Guest felttipen

i want to know scientifically, why i like this sort of music. its so much better than most other music, but why. and why is it geek music? what is it in the music that appeals to geeks. :mu-ziq:

Guest greenbank

ruh-roh! minefield of a thread... i reckon a lot of folk hear about all the stupid shit that gets written in the press and decide to check his music out and (shockingly!!) don't actually like it that much. and yeah there is a certain element of liking cos its cool etc.

you could go on for entire massive essays about why people like music etc. etc. i'm trying to think why liking something because its 'cool' is actually that bad...

afx is 60% shite, maybe they like that something of 60% and therefore it kind of fits with their list of fag music..

Seriously you believe that? :huh: I'd agree that 'Analord' wasn't up to scratch but I'd never rate AFX in the same league as fag music .... no ways.

nah..id prefer afx any time over fag music...it's just the contrast, some of his stuff is great and some really lame..quite off topic anyway.

Guest Promo
i want to know scientifically, why i like this sort of music. its so much better than most other music, but why. and why is it geek music? what is it in the music that appeals to geeks. :mu-ziq:

I think it probably starts off with people's values. Its hard to tell as I was asking myself the same question the other day.

I started listening really to agit-pop back in the early 90s and that linked with my 'anti-racist, do gooder and bleeding heart liberal' take on things. So in a way for a while I was down with the whole hippy/crusty scene and started listening to those sort of bands. Then I moved on to ambient/techno/electronic music but for some reason since stayed broadly into the electronic/experimental scene. However through out it I've got into different genres as a result of being introduced to new styles from existing music or heard of artist's influences.

So out of listening to Aphex I then got into Eno and 70s Krautrock experiment etc. Then at some point I got into 80s electro when I was sent a tape by someone which had Africa Bambatta and Newclues on it. I think a lot of it came out of researching all the releases on Warp too. I got into Weather Report, Herbie Hancock and jazz fusion etc from listening to Squarepusher.

I think seeing/perceiving myself as an outsider definitely pushed me into the music I listen too now. There was always a big big part of me that said; I don't want to listen to what everyone else is into and that I want to distinguish myself from everyone elses tastes. Often if I found out someone was listening to something I dug, and especially if I thought they were a twat, it would piss me off and I might even think 'should I be listening to this or that band?'. Sometimes it would have the opposite effect, i.e. if I wasn't totally sure about a person, I then might think 'actually you're pretty cool'. Weird eh but that's how I'd reason shit when I was a youngen. :laughing:

Guest catsonearth

the thing about taste is...well, it's subjective. if it's impossible for you to believe someone can like aphex as well as what you dub "fag music" or just shitty music, well then...you're just pretty closed minded. my music tastes run the gammot - i love aphex, vibert...all that electronic music shit, but i also listen to george michael, pet shop boys, coheed & cambria, antony, isis, willie nelson, pulp, jay-z, annie, cursive, kylie minogue...fuck, i even like some bright eyes. stuff i'm sure you consider "fag" music.

doesn't mean i haven't been listening to aphex for years, as well as artists less popular than him. doesn't mean i don't belong amongst "electronic music" fans. i associate myself more with this music than any other, but i don't force myself into a little box. i like what i like. different artists for different reasons.

I hate people who say they listen to all types of music, when you know they only listen to what they are hand fed i.e plop 40 music...

depechemode were considered fag music when i was younger...I remember a work colleague hanging shit on me for liking that fag music depeche mode ( his fav band was REM) :grin:

The basic reason I listen to Aphex Twin and all other types of instrumental music is because it doesn’t have any singing. I want to hear melodies and stuff without some self-indulgent cunt singing over the top.

I agree with this. That said: the 40% that is good is defenitely worth wading through the rubbish.

Guest felttipen
The basic reason I listen to Aphex Twin and all other types of instrumental music is because it doesn’t have any singing. I want to hear melodies and stuff without some self-indulgent cunt singing over the top.

Yeh, i agree. this is a great reason.

Guest DJ Alan-A-Dale

I blame it on Come to Daddy. "Oh, btw, this is one effed up music video, you guys have to see it lol"

Guest Promo
I blame it on Come to Daddy. "Oh, btw, this is one effed up music video, you guys have to see it lol"

Me too and sadly it seems people never get beyond it.

Archived