IGNORED

analyze the aphex twin / squarepusher track

Fred McGriff

which parts do you think were done by aphex? how do you think they worked on this together? the part at the end where the acid bassline comes in around 4:45 is definitely aphex. i think the monotone dischordish synth in the beginning is aphex as well, but the low bass chords are probably squarepusher. have no idea bout the drum programming, could go either way.

to tell the truth i haven't listened to it since we are reasonable people came out

i only ever had that album on tape

and the plone track was the only one i ever used to listen to

hmmmm i'll slsk it

I wasn't into it, but I haven't heard it in ages....slsking now....

EDIT: Hmmmmmm, well I reckon all Squarepusher's done is the breakbeat, everything else sounds like RDJ to me. As for liking it, yeah, it's better than I remember, still not one of his or his best, but I'm into it more than I was.

Guest Ron Manager

mods, please create the squarepusher / afx subforum so that we have a sensible place to discuss this track.

good topic. actually , I think along these lines evrytime i listen to the track ( which is bangin' like the Hilton, so how you feelin'). I've never come to any conclusion to the programming of the drums, I must agree about the synth part at the end being RDJ

the sampled breakbeat is squarepusher, the pads from the beginning are squarepusher. the drumhits over the squarepusher's beat that form a second beat are afx's. the hard beat that comes in at ~3m is obviously a combined effort as it is a bit too mashed. then it simplifies after a few bars into afx beat. the acid line is squarepusher i'd say.

• 2 weeks later...
which parts do you think were done by aphex? how do you think they worked on this together? the part at the end where the acid bassline comes in around 4:45 is definitely aphex. i think the monotone dischordish synth in the beginning is aphex as well, but the low bass chords are probably squarepusher. have no idea bout the drum programming, could go either way.

all i know is when this tune came out it was simultaneously the worst aphex and worst squarepusher track so far

and i had such high expectations

i quite disagree. shit's quite banging, especially when the beat drops hard after 2 mins.

melody is a bit lacking but a mood is created so at least it has direction

p.s. more like stinkle

to tell the truth i haven't listened to it since we are reasonable people came out

i only ever had that album on tape

and the plone track was the only one i ever used to listen to

hmmmm i'll slsk it

well last night i had this exact same conversation with, and started by, a mate

who was raving about this track

the conversation went pretty much along the same lines as those 1st 4 posts

albeit slightly more padded out (as real life conversations generally are)

anyway - cut a long post short - i have reexamined this track at a high volume

and in a residential area

and i have to agree that it is much much much better than i rashly suggested '

sorry tom

sorry richard

sorry burger

also...

the part at the end where the acid bassline comes in around 4:45 is definitely aphex.

i swing the other way on this point

0.01-0.12--is all squarepusher, all the drumbreaks and the jazzy chords

0.17-that hard snap snarething that comes in with room verb and throughout rest of song is AFX, so are the kicks underneath the main shuffling break with same reverb

1.13-haunt synth that pans in is afx

1.33-sub bass hits are AFX, as is the cymbal

2.55 break- devastation break funk that drops is all afx with sly choral flange or multiphasing on the break to make it phat

3.41-modulation tweaks are all afx

4.45 onwards sounds like squarepusher playing melodies played on afxs gear

fuck im bored

0.01-0.12--is all squarepusher, all the drumbreaks and the jazzy chords

0.17-that hard snap snarething that comes in with room verb and throughout rest of song is AFX, so are the kicks underneath the main shuffling break with same reverb

1.13-haunt synth that pans in is afx

1.33-sub bass hits are AFX, as is the cymbal

2.55 break- devastation break funk that drops is all afx with sly choral flange or multiphasing on the break to make it phat

3.41-modulation tweaks are all afx

4.45 onwards sounds like squarepusher playing melodies played on afxs gear

fuck im bored

yeah TOTALLY agree

Archived