IGNORED

Tycho album re-issue

Guest Dogboy73

Guest Dogboy73

(I'm sure this was being discussed ellswhere in this forum earlier. Had a search but couldn't find it thoughl).

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=24536

Posted on here for it's blatant & unashamed BoC'ness, something which didn't go down at all well with the Boomkat reviewer. Think it's a bit harsh myself but I can see their point. I think it's quite a nice album though;

New on Merck. A fleshed out re-issue of Tycho’s first widely available album ‘Sunrise Projector’, ‘Past is Prologue’ comes bundled with groovy new artwork and three exclusive remixes from Dusty Brown, Chachi Jones and Planet Mu’s Nautilis. As Merck begins to wind down it’s been releasing some of the most interesting titles on it’s books yet, sadly this isn’t one of them and is possibly one of the most unashamed Boards of Canada pastiches I have ever heard. It’s not even that the music is unpleasant, it really isn’t – but it just makes me want to root out for the real thing. Using synths that sound like they’ve actually been sampled from the Hi-Scores EP and even resorting to lo-fi vocal samples underneath the dusty drum samples there seems to be no stone left unturned. I know a lot of artists get compared to BoC, they’ve become the typical genre comparison – you make electronic music and use nice melodies, well you sound like BoC, but that aside, ‘Past is Prologue’ really DOES sound like our Scottish friends. I guess people will lap this up (it already sold 5000 on the Grammafon label), especially after the disappointment of ‘The Campfire Headphase’ but I don’t know how much more low-slung loops and pretty analogue melodies I can take before I reach total saturation. Even an awesome remix from Nautilis doesn’t save this one I’m afraid – bored of Canada? I think so.

he mite be a bit harsh there. but wow a negative boomkat review. maybe he realises there arent any so he just picked on tycho. i dont know i dont listen to it im just breakcoore. if anyone has any ohter negative boomkat rreviews let me see!

i've listened alot to tycho and even though similar to boc, he's got his own style completely. i do not believe tycho started out saying: i'm going to sound just like boards of canada, but rather developed a style in the same fashion. wonder if the reviewer is dissing the release not because of what he's hearing, but what he think he's hearing, if you get my meaning...

anywho, good music and extraordinary art

It's popular to pick on Tycho. It would be stupid to say that you didn't like his music if you like BOC, seeing how much they resemble eachother. Sure, it's not original or innovate, but it's still really well produced and he does make a lot of nice melodies.

Boomkat's reviews are almost always positive (I mean, they want to sell the music right?) but I have seen at least 5 albums get torn apart since I have been following the site.

Boomkat's reviews are almost always positive (I mean, they want to sell the music right?) but I have seen at least 5 albums get torn apart since I have been following the site.

Yeah, Air's last album got tanked on, as did Miles Tilmann's album. They didn't seem to like Campfire much either.

But anyway, Tycho is shit. People need to stop defending this guy.

lol pwn ... thank god someone has the balls to post a negative review

also; the new miles tilmann album does indeed suck ass, i couldn't believe it myself ... i hardly ever buy an album without listening to it first, but, oh well

Archived