IGNORED

Come to Daddy: Where do you rate it?

oyster

Guest AOOproductions

The last minute/45 seconds of the track is classic Richard and the part where he's actually saying come to daddy is classic. But the rest is just okay, it's fun but not much else. The other songs on the EP are so much better. One thing worth mentioning is that if this single had not come out, I don't think drill n' base would have had as long a shelf life as it did. And without it's success Windowlicker wouldn't have been made.

Single ratings. Instead of making a thread for every single!

1) Windowlicker

2) Girl/boy Song,On - I honestly can't decide which one I like better

3) Come to daddy

4) Donkey Rhubarb

Guest Romhotep
everyone is (apart from richard devine)

maybe not worth mentioning but, in Grandma's Boy, JP listens to a looped version of the end of come to daddy.

and i happen to rate that movie quite high.

When? I know that when he's in his little solitary room in his technoid chair thingy at one point he's blasting the end of "Windowlicker."

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

maybe not worth mentioning but, in Grandma's Boy, JP listens to a looped version of the end of come to daddy.

When? I know that when he's in his little solitary room in his technoid chair thingy at one point he's blasting the end of "Windowlicker."

oh shit... hehehe thats funny, you are right. I always get fucked up when i watch that movie.

oops.

Guest Caustic
I say the Lord Faulternroy mix is worse.

I hate those vocals.

u crazy, ma boy

They're uncomfortable,is what.

I say the Lord Faulternroy mix is worse.

I hate those vocals.

u crazy, ma boy

They're uncomfortable,is what.

that they are. but i likey likey.

I'm with caustic on that one, Never liked it.

The Mummy mix, on the otherhand, is beautiful.

I'd give it a six. Hardly listen to it or watch the video these days, as it's a bit played out for me (but I certainly don't think it's shit). 'Funny Little Man' is cool, and I like the packaging of the second CD.

Guest Kenneth172

Come To Daddy is poor man's Aphex. It's for the Nine Inch Nails listener who's never listened to Aphex before.

Come To Daddy is poor man's Aphex. It's for the Nine Inch Nails listener who's never listened to Aphex before.

I'd say that's fairly well put myself. Certainly the NIN thing, anyway.

Guest Romhotep

oh shit... hehehe thats funny, you are right. I always get fucked up when i watch that movie.

oops.

Yeah, I didn't completely wasted until the movie was over.

Actually it's the end of Windowlicker that JP listens to.

Guest Romhotep

Actually it's the end of Windowlicker that JP listens to.

WAY TO REPEAT ME. GOD.

Guest Tomkinson

Its one of Richard's best songs. Only an idiot would say the sings some of you are saying. The notion that it doesn't draw on Aphex's more traditional sound is particularly dumb. The entire song is bathed in a scuzzy wall of static that recalls astroblaster or .215061. In fact the way the beat is mixed in with the melodies as well as the basic structure of the track are reminiscent of .215061. The parent/child absurdity and iconography inherent in the lyrics and the packaging and the video are vintage Aphex themes as well.

The idea that its meant simply for the NIN listener is remarkably stupid. While it may appeal somewhat to fans of that genre (as if it matters anyway), NIN listeners had already been repeatedly exposed to AFX by NIN on tracks like At the Heart of it All and the Beauty of Being Numb remix, songs which sound nothing like Come to Daddy. Trent would always play SAW I or II before his concerts and was continuously praising his work in the press long before Come to Daddy was released.

In fact were it not for the fact that its an incredibly articulated and structured piece of music it could be seen as a send up of the aggressive electrometal popular in the era. But one listen to the way the syncopated fills leave the listener demanding more percussion as the pitch and volume of the scream rises until a crescendo when the demand for release is finally met with a blizzard of contrasting drill & base workouts dispels any such simple categorizing. Windowlicker, for all its merits, never rises quite above being a spoof all the while reusing the scuzzy static to much less effect than on Daddy and thats why some are confusing the two.

If the song doesn't do much for a particular taste fine, just say you don't like it. All of the rationalizations as to why you don't like it reek of base excuse making, attempts to justify not liking a song simply because its popular. Disliking an artist's work merely because its popular is the hallmark of the phony fan and explains the ignorance to be found in some of these posts.

I think the reason it was so big was because it had a vocal hook, along with the fact that it had an awesome and terrifying video. It's not my favorite thing he's done by a long shot, but it's a fun track. The fact that he was taking the piss with it adds to its charm. I like it when he puts humor into his tracks.

Guest HokusPoker

I think, it was successful because it was easy to bang your head to it.

Easy to snarl and think about what you could do to nice grannies if you just weren't good.

It's like listening to Intelligence and Sacrifice by Alec Empire: there's nothing better if you feel the need for hurting your ears or sense for beauty.

Archived