IGNORED

So, no more Aphex Twin?

Josso

I take it if his Warp contract was fucked as the rumours suggest then he would not be able to use his name again? I'm not sure where I stand on this one... has it been confirmed that his contract is over or is it simply not true.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aphex twin is but a name. richard d james, the man, lives on, looking for the next battle, roaming the rocky shores of cornwall, pondering barnicles while his fancy electric automatic rhythm progamme-machine toils away relentlessly in his bank vault. a knowing sourire stretches across his pale, sea-weathered face, revealing teeth and gums, an expression ever-so-subtly twisted by squinted eyes and sharpened eyebrows. suddenly a gust of wind blows his cape into the picture! like a bolt of ginger lightning he crackles through the sky over the celtic sea! a festival in iceland perhaps? an impromptu DJ set on a viking ship in the middle of the atlantic? analog jam session in africa? digeridoo clinic in australia? melodies from mars: live... ON MARS?

the world may never know.

Guest Caustic
aphex twin is but a name. richard d james, the man, lives on, looking for the next battle, roaming the rocky shores of cornwall, pondering barnicles while his fancy electric automatic rhythm progamme-machine toils away relentlessly in his bank vault. a knowing sourire stretches across his pale, sea-weathered face, revealing teeth and gums, an expression ever-so-subtly twisted by squinted eyes and sharpened eyebrows. suddenly a gust of wind blows his cape into the picture! like a bolt of ginger lightning he crackles through the sky over the celtic sea! a festival in iceland perhaps? an impromptu DJ set on a viking ship in the middle of the atlantic? analog jam session in africa? digeridoo clinic in australia? melodies from mars: live... ON MARS?

the world may never know.

Directed by John Woo

i started this subject a while ago and the theory is that "Aphex Twin" had two more releases under contract with warp, either Drukqs counted as two releases (which he would have reached an agreement with warp about), drukqs counted as one and 26 mixes counted as another, or drukqs counted as one and 26 mixes did not count as a release (since it is a compilation of remixes warp probably commissioned, but greatest hits compilations usually count as a "release" under record contracts), in the latter case RDJ would still owe warp an "Aphex Twin" album before his contract would be fulfilled and he could use the alias under his rephlex label. of course Analord 10 was released as "Aphex Twin" which would further suggest that he owns that name again, but it is a minor release and might have not feared reprocussion from warp.

WARP does not "own" the Aphex Twin name... Richard does. Just because he isn't releasing under that moniker doesn't mean he's still not releasing music (Analord, The Tuss, etc.). Nobody's screaming because there hasn't been a Caustic Window or Polygon Window release in ages (well, inside, I am, but that's beside the point).

um hi does anyone know about the aphex-warp relation atm

Not much has been reported on the subject. The only recent tidbit I am aware of is the vague mention of a release by a warp employee in an interview. I believe a scan of it was posted here at some point in time.

Guest analogue wings

26 mixes was definitely the contractual obligationer.

Warp doesn't own the name Aphex Twin, but Aphex Twin was signed to warp, so no Aphex Twin tracks on other labels (w/o warp's permission) while under contract.

It's kind of like how George Clinton had "Parliament" signed to Atlantic and "Funkadelic" signed to Revilot, but they were totally the same dudes.

AFX has always been the coolest RDJ pseudonym.

Guest Enter a new display name

Please go find the converted bank in Cornwall and ask him. This should be easy to locate.

Archived