IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest Z_B_Z

re reading this:

music_phases-14812.jpeg

basically just takes snippets of interviews and anecdotes and compiles them into a book length "oral history." easily one of the more vivid pieces of rock history ive read and an absolutely fascinating tale to boot. great book.

Edited by Z_B_Z

• 2 weeks later...

books are piling up, currently reading Pynchon - Vineland.

This book is an explosion. Half way through and I can still follow the story line, I´m proud.

books are piling up, currently reading Pynchon - Vineland.

This book is an explosion. Half way through and I can still follow the story line, I´m proud.

most underrated Pynchon and I luves it so

Guest disparaissant

a feast for crows - george r. r. martin

started watching the show, got a bunch of shit spoiled, decided to read the books. good stuff!

when i finish with that i just picked up a collection of mondrian's essays on art.

I've been getting much more into reading. I think at some point the internet ran totally dry so that I can finally see the appeal in books!

Pathetic as the above may seem.

The Insect World of J Henri Fabre

- I finally decided to open that one. Turns out it's very enlightening and even entertaining. It can have a frightening effect of putting your own position of power into perspective. He talks a lot about instinct. I would love to read a book that specializes entirely on animal instinct as it relates to human psychology.

Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics

- I guess I needed an alternative to the Buddhist and Jesus related books all over my room. So far I haven't read much but I think it's a great start.

in addition to those a whole slew of music theory and music history related stuff.

The Rest is Noise by alex ross

Experimental Music, Cage and Beyond by michael nyman

The Study of Counterpoint by fux [for some reason]

Classical Form by caplin

interesting stuff. don't know if I'm doing it the most efficient way

Conquest of the Useless by Werner Herzog, which is his highly entertaining diary account of life during the production of Fitzcarraldo. I'm reading it slowly with his voice narrating in my head the whole time. So good. I can't wait for Kinski to arrive.

Just had a mahooooosive shit and read a few excerpts from the Pitchfork 500, Bikini Kill to be exact.

Just like the website it's handy to have but suffers from being really, really dull.

Edited by beerwolf

Just had a mahooooosive shit and read a few excerpts from the Pitchfork 500, Bikini Kill to be exact.

Just like the website it's handy to have but suffers from being really, really dull.

yeah. it's not very good, even for long shits

I like '1000 Records to Hear Before You Die'

it's a bit better, at least in terms of the music recommendations

Guest Z_B_Z

i just read an article in the current issue of texas monthly called 'the lost boys' that completely bowled me over. really disturbed me. the focus of the piece is on a late 60s/early 70s texan serial killer named dean corll. i had previously read a book on the case but this article is much better, and much more informative than that cheap exploitative cash in. possibly the saddest, most fucked up crime spree ive ever heard about and so few people seem to be familiar with it. fascinating in the most horrible sense and completely heartbreaking. the article is currently under a paywall at the texas monthly site, but the entirety can be found here if anyones interested... scary shit: http://www.texasmonthly.com/cms/printthis.php?file=feature.php&issue=2011-04-01

That was a harrowing read. Read it in bed on my laptop, took forever to fall asleep!

it still blows my mind that no one seems to be familiar with these murders. at the time it was the biggest mass murder case in american history.. pretty much the scariest thing ive ever heard about.

Guest Z_B_Z

'lush life' by richard price.

i wanted to read a price book because he wrote 'clockers' and some damn fine episodes of the wire.

his prose can be stunning but it drags a bit.

also listened to david simons 'homicide' on audio book. some amazing segments but theres too much dick swinging machismo for my taste.

Edited by Z_B_Z

Guest Iain C

PAYING.jacket_web.jpg

This came in the post yesterday and I read it in a couple of sittings. I'm not normally a reader of comics, but I found the premise interesting so I ordered an imported copy from Amazon Marketplace (it's not out in this country yet).

It's exciting, honest, non-judgemental etc. Chester Brown is a libertarian and I think libertarians are idiots (ironically, this book was partly funded by the Canada Council for the Arts) but I agree with most of his views on prostitution.