IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Debt: The First 5000 Years by David Graeber - Early going, but lots of interesting insights on how we think about debt and why.

Infinite Jest - Only about 70 pages left, but my opinion of this beast changes every time I open it.

Doctor Sleep, really hoping (but not expecting) it to live up to the first.

Edited by tec

I'm listening to Dr Sleep on audiobook, it's been making me fall asleep. Think I have spent several hours getting 20 minutes in.

finished "Enochian Physics" the other day. an old man who visits my work gave it to me after i struck up a conversation about theosophy with him. it was strange reading.

now idly reading philosophy essays and finally getting round to Feyerabend's Against Method, after being inspired by reading a Dawkins essay denouncing Popper and Kuhn (calling them "pseudo-philosophical poseurs unworthy of attention") . Not sure who I agree with yet.

People of the Lie by Morgan Scott Peck

(the 'new age' is not a part of the title and it's not a new age book. usual amazon confusion at work i'd say)

this looks pretty great btw, as does the road less traveled -- added to my summer reading list

the road less traveled changed my point of view on lots of things drastically; this one too which was hard to read cause of the subject. i really highly recommend them both.

objective/realistic people are such a rarity and m.s.pack is surely one of them, and besides of that he's also a contagiously positive person.

Jeff VanderMeer - Authority. Part 2 of three of the Southern Reach Trilogy. The first one, Annihilation, was pretty solid. Lots of strangeness, but more questions than answers. This one seems to be lining up to give some answers while still opening up the world somewhat. Good writing, great sci-fi weirdness.

Guest bitroast

just recently finished John Buchan's 39 Steps. Quick little thriller that has a lot of Hitchcock DNA in it's style and pace.

Moved from this to starting Alan Moore's Neonomicon. Have had this sitting on my shelf for a while and threw it in my bag because I was needing something to read after finishing up what I had lying around (39 steps was last of a bunch of books a friend lent me). Had a little panic because I started reading it and then realised it's a sequel to The Courtyard, but turns out this graphic novel includes those issues at the start as well. I've had a quick flick through this one though and not sure if i'll able to continue reading this one at work/on the train. But other than that, it's actually seeming enjoyable. Not sure why I held it off for so long.

And now I'm halfway through Dune Messiah. So far, It's better than I expected. I've heard some about the sequels being sub-par when compared to Dune, but this one is keeping me interested plenty so far. I really like Scytale, and especially liked the chapter of him and the old Fremen who he killed at the end.

With Doctor Sleep King seems to have taken a lesson from the James Patterson/Dan Brown school of writing and begins a new passage/chapter(?) on every other page, it kills any suspense and is complete bollocks.

Great, write about your experience with it after you read it, I'm interested :) Personally I loved it, it is one of the most contemporary pieces I came across in recent times. Really pins down what it means to be an artist in the 21st century.

underworld by don delillo atm. his writing style isn't interesting and i think the book's subject matter caters to baby boomers.

otherwise good and readable so far, something you can just pass your eyes over and grasp immediately

^noice

Something I've been meaning to reread for ages is Spawn by Shaun Hutson.

Not read it since I was a kid but what I do remember involves levitating, telepathic, evil, aborted fetuses.

hutsonspawn1.jpg

I have to say every time, house of leaves is incredibly good. Avoid synopsis or reviews , just read the best horror ever.. it's so subtle and a brilliant premise.

But avoid all spoilers!

Under the dome was good as well