IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Read Hesse's Siddhartha again after about 10 years. Seems like a completely different book now, lol. Interesting.

And just got this delivered by the postlord.. shit is gonna get heavy.

41eNBg5qF%2BL.jpg

Never read it! Told myself it was time before I grow too old of "coming-of-age" books :

norwegian_wood.jpg

Because I like large contrasts between the two books I'm reading, this is my bed book :

forever-war.jpg

Palahniuk - Haunted

Pretty mediocre book to be honest, the short stories are pretty meh and the main story is just silly. It's not subtle, it's not that witty, I don't know. It's like he's trying too hard. Don't think I'm gonna finish it

Worth it for Guts, literally the most disgusting thing I have ever read, but yeah I read it a few years back and that's all I remember.

I don't think he is here too often now but thanks zaphod for the The City and The City recommendation, very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoveRhino

Been on a Banks' book bender lately. I returned to Player of Games having never completed them (not sure why - their both fantastic), read The Hydrogen Sonata for the first time and am almost finished Consider Phlebas for the second time. I plan to alternate reading and rereading my wY through the entire "M" collection (only read Culture before) the perchance non "M".

Saw a note way back page 1 (remember page 1? Obviously, I don't as it was before my time but I thoroughly look forward to reading back through it and expanding my book shopping list) about Dawkins. I enjoy his books but can never bring myself to finish them. He annoys me - mostly because of how right he is and how calm he is about his certainty in arguments. He's great on TV (working through that BBC series of the history of science in the UK at the mo).

He annoys me - mostly because of how right he is and how calm he is about his certainty in arguments

You say that because you know he's right, and displays the confidence in the rightness of his arguments, he annoys you?

I saw one talk of the guy. Although I agreed with the wrongness of Institutionalized Religion, I feel that atheism is a delusion. I understand that atheism is a reaction to Institutionalized Religion, but I consider myself to have a belief in something that surpasses our understanding.

I practice live and let live and the militant stance of some atheists reminds me of the dogmatic indoctrination of the Church, and it makes me laugh at the irony.

But in cases like this, I always try to remember that there are idiots everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

510XRwYQdjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

greg taylor is editor of the daily grail website, a news site replenished daily with links to articles on topics at the edge of what is known, like ufo sightings, cryptozoology stories, new theories and research on historical mysteries, scientific discoveries, and conspiracy theories. he put out an e-zine called sub rosa for a number of issues and has published several collections of original essays along the themes of his site called dark lore, both with many notable contributors. his writing is always thoughtful and he has a good mind for research and skepticism, so this book of his in which he examines the phenomenon of end of life experiences and other things relating to the possibility of an afterlife is a great thing.

Edited by very honest

PKD - The Father Thing

Volume 3 of the collected short stories. Packed full of imagination, ideas just flying everywhere and coming alive in your mind. Wonderful stuff.