IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell

Finished in the last month or so:

Whatever and The Map & The Territory by Michel Houellebecq - I'm definitely a fan of his now. What should I read next?

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston - Even though it's nonfiction, it was so enjoyable it felt like junk food.

listened to china and the chinese audiobook today, pretty cool. free from librivox, a great site of free, user-created audio books

This sounds really interesting. *downloads*
Edited by doublename

Currently reading "Child of God" by Cormac McCarthy

293625.jpg

BTW. My interest in this book, has absolutely nothing to do with the incredible jerk off, known publicly as "James Franco" and any of his horse shit movies, or anything else attributed to him for that matter. Fuck James Franco!

Now that I got that of my chest....

Cormac McCarthy books are F'n disturbing and creepy, and pretty real, -but hard to put down!

One of the greatest writers in contemporary american literarature ( well in my own humble opinion....)

Anyone else in to this dude?

Edited by ej23

Recommendations on where to start with China Meiville?

Perdido Street Station probably, gives you a good idea of his weird, baroque style. Maybe Railsea I guess, although it's aimed a borderline young-adult audience. Still a good read. If you want something more sci-fi oriented, try Embassytown. I'd still go with PSS though, probably because it's the first one I read meself.

Finished Dr Sleep. Unfortunately it was pretty lame. Late SK seems to fall into a pattern of hit, hit, miss.

The misses tend to read like the book equivalent of the high budget horror B-movies released by lionsgate (see 'Cell')

Read Blaze after that. The unpublished Bachman novel.

That was really good, read it in a day.

Then I read Arthur Schnitzler's Dream Story. The one that Eyes Wide Shut was based upon. Very satisfying read.

Now I'm rereading Lisey's Story which is definitely a late period SK 'hit'.

The one about JFK/time-travelling was the most interesting SK I've read in a decade, since his memoir. Perhaps because I think that when he goes away from pure horror he's at his best (The Stand, Different Seasons, Misery, etc..)

Edited by Philip Glass

293625.jpg

BTW. My interest in this book, has absolutely nothing to do with the incredible jerk off, known publicly as "James Franco" and any of his horse shit movies, or anything else attributed to him for that matter. Fuck James Franco!

Cormac McCarthy books are F'n disturbing and creepy, and pretty real, -but hard to put down!

One of the greatest writers in contemporary american literarature ( well in my own humble opinion....)

I'm generally a big fan of his. I reread, The Road and All the Pretty Horses Last Year, and found they were even better than I'd remembered.

With King novels, the formula is - if it is really long, which they most are, it's going to decline rapidly.

It's a shame, because most of them start off so good, that it\s almost enough to carry them for another 800 pages, but if they'd just wrapped things up nicely a quarter of the way in, they would have been the best books ever - unfortunately he starts ending them about half way through, then peters out and rambles for another few million pages and forgets the hole plot.

Even with The Stand, IT, and Under the Dome, they suffer from this but I guess the pay off of the first 100 chapsters of those books is enough to warrant ready the other billion bits of crap.

Salems Lot, Pet Cemetary, Christine and his plethora of Short Stories / Novellas, all don't have enough time to go fucking balls out shit.

Still one of my favourite authros ever, but does he know wtf he is doing or does he just black out and come to with a massive fuck off manuscript, read the first section and go 'it's a masterpiece!!' then send it off for binding?

Editors and publisher prob do the same.

All hail the King.

Some books I read in the last five or so weeks..

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance
Yann Martel - Life of Pi
Vladimir Bartol - Alamut
Haruki Murakami - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Haruki Murakami - South of the Border, West of the Sun
Thomas Pynchon - Bleeding Edge
Now reading Oliver Sacks' Hallucinations and Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction by Annalee Newitz.

Half way through the last volume of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. Even if I am partial to sci-fi, this historical fiction is good and has kept me interested even if Stephenson's verbose descriptions of things can get a bit long. Good swash-buckling fun.

Half way through the last volume of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. Even if I am partial to sci-fi, this historical fiction is good and has kept me interested even if Stephenson's verbose descriptions of things can get a bit long. Good swash-buckling fun.

I want to do a re-read of the Baroque Cycle as it's been almost a decade since I read it, but I can't find the time. Love it, though.

Have you read Cryptonomicon?

Edited by baph

So I thought what I'd do was to pick up A Catcher in The Rye again, and finish the hardships of Holden Caufield. Boy, let me tell you, the amount of phoneys poor Holden spots every waking minute of the day.

It's a nice book, al right.

I want to do a re-read of the Baroque Cycle as it's been almost a decade since I read it, but I can't find the time. Love it, though.

Have you read Cryptonomicon?

Yes, I've read it, but a few years ago, remember liking it. Sort of "continuing" (even if it came out before) the themes of the Baroque Cycle along with the having the descendants of some of the characters. And Enoch Root.

293625.jpg

I'm generally a big fan of his. I reread, The Road and All the Pretty Horses Last Year, and found they were even better than I'd remembered.

I would strongly recommend Blood Meridian, if you like his work. I haven't read all his books, so I can't say, but it's considered to to be his best. One my favorite books ever!

Heavy ass shit, with some characters you'll never believe.

Some books I read in the last five or so weeks..

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance
Yann Martel - Life of Pi
Vladimir Bartol - Alamut
Haruki Murakami - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Haruki Murakami - South of the Border, West of the Sun
Thomas Pynchon - Bleeding Edge
Now reading Oliver Sacks' Hallucinations and Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction by Annalee Newitz.

Have you read this one yet?

41E4%2BfttDjL.jpg

My favorite Murakami book, and essential if you're a fan of him. Impossible to put down!