IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

After Duma Key I was meant to read Ubik but ended up starting The Tommyknockers as I was still in a SK binge place.

I really love Tommyknockers. It's one of SK's most reviled books it seems. It's written off as too nihilistic, poor lead characters, overlong, flabby and silly plot.

To me it's SK doing a Lovecraftian Invasion of the Body Snatchers while on enough cocaine to kill an elephant. He's written in On Writing that he can remember writing parts of it with both nostrils plugged with bloody cotton wool. An intervention by his Wife and family followed swiftly afterwards.

It reads that way too, hyper-paranoid tone and rambling digression follows rambling digression.

And I love it. Eat it up.

The super dark tone of the novel I also love. Our hero is a poverty-stricken alcoholic poet who narrowly avoids suicide at the beginning of the book after blowing off his one remaining meal ticket and spends almost all of the rest of the novel in an alcohol induced, blood-vomiting stupor.

The overlong and flabby complaints might wash if you're not enjoying the book to begin with but with this kinda novel I like to be able to stretch out and roam around in it. And King allows this with all the earlier mentioned digressions: the history of the town and various short stories and novellas concerning different people in Haven 'Becoming' which makes up the middle section of the book.

You can tell a lot of work went into it, the dates he always provides at the end of each novel show that it was 5 years from conception to wrapping it up.

So yeah, I recommend. Try it you might like it.

After Tommyknockers I read Ubik and thoroughly enjoyed it also. This is what Inception should've been.

Gonna grab more and more PKD I think. This has been the 5th I've read so far I think.

Next up is Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

After Duma Key I was meant to read Ubik but ended up starting The Tommyknockers as I was still in a SK binge place.

Next up is Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

tommyknockers is brilliant. the way it unfolds and opens up is really well done i thought (for a kid, read it when i was 10 or so)

under the dome is really good if you havent read it and even better if you dont know what its about. i didnt and enjoyed it

Yeah, read that one twice so far. Awesome stuff.

I'm total King nerd, I've read everything he's published at least once. More often several times.

On Bag of Bones at the moment. This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've read it.

House of Leaves is a very interesting book, definitely worth a read, but I doubt I'll pick it up a second time. I'm just not interested in aimless speculation and "open interpretation" books kinda piss me off, especially when there's sooooo much that's just left for the reader to wonder about. The Whalestoe Letters though I didn't finish; corny as all fuck

I'll try (for the 10th time) to read Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Fuck it, I'm even scared now, it's a really hard read for me.

Haha, I really hated reading it. I wanted to throw it out the window so many times. One of the few books I wanted to just fuck off with and not finish. It grated me in so many ways, and I hated the main character. Yet... I love the book. Mainly because its point missed me completely at first. And it's a point I agree with. Looking back, it's weird that a book I hated reading is a book that I really like. Umberto Eco has managed that for me.

Guest Roksen Creek

My copy of Foucault's Pendulum still has a bookmark in it around 50 pages in I think, from 5 years ago. I'll get back to it one day.

Guest Roksen Creek

Well, I loved The Name of the Rose, so I'm willing to give him a chance. I'm not even sure why I stopped reading it, I think I got distracted by other stuff.

Guest bitroast

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

quite good. really good, actually.

everytime it goes into detail describing mcmurpheys twitchy mannerisms I cant help but imagine jack nicholson acting it out. with red hair.

it's weird.

Edited by bitroast

Exit Through The Gift Shop - At first I was wondering how did they manage to orchestrate all of this thing and thought it was great, great satire. Then I read it all really happened and it just blew my mind. Not saying that I think Mr. Brainwash is or isn't a hoax; just that I thought this was all made for the movie. 9/10

Just started 'Postsingular' by Rudy Rucker. enjoyably cool so far. Hard sci-fi about nanotech.

Tried 'origin' by JA Konrath - supposed to be creepy but I found it corny. Gave up halfway through

Update: can't put 'postsingular' down... 59% in & really like it. It's never too corny but hi-tech, colourful , psychedelic...

And free from his website: http://www.rudyrucker.com/postsingular/cc_downloads/

He's a computer scientist or mathematician from silicon valley & a bit of a dude

Edited by lala

update: really liked postsingular! its hyper-colourful & futuristic, it does go into cartoony tripped out style but i still enjoyed it. not hard-sf per se but still a good read, so much so ive just bought hardcover of the sequel, Hylozoic which was the reason i read PS in the first place - apparently the sequel is even weirder.

He's a bit like Hunter S Thompson meets Iain M Banks