IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

burning chrome is good if you want more of that early gibson stuff

Yeah I was thinking that next, or Mona Lisa Overdrive. 

I ordered the next Southern Trilogy book though and it just arrived today so I'll probably read that next.

The Crying of Lot 49 - I don't think I'm a Pynchon dude. Fully admit it might be lack of IQ on my part. I'll stick with Dick for my 60's California fix.

I found Lot 49 pretty underwhelming the first time I read it. Didn't really click with me until I'd read Gravity's Rainbow twice and V and Vineland.

For psychedelic brainmelt postmodern insanity I recommend GR, unfortunately it's 900+ pages of cryptic crossword prose. Worth it imo though.

Finally finished Mirror of the Marvelous by Pierre Mabille.....intriguing & lucid rabbit hole into myths & transcendentalism, with a succinct set of critiques/analysis of historic & fictional anecdotes.

Recommended for anyone with an interest in psychotherapy, levels of consciousness, animism, voodoo initiation/magic & mythology. The kind of book which psychotherapists like Jordan Peterson could never conjure, because Mabille was both a medical clinician & an anthropologist of paganism. Well worth the shekels for traversing the intersections of objective science, subjective experience & humanity's collective mythologies. Andre Breton's foreword is the cherry on top.

1984 was good and way more readable than I remember it.

A colleague at work gave me Sarah Perry's The Essex Serpent so I've started that now. I'm immediately put off by the prose style, which is adjective heavy and show-offily pretentious to me but I will persevere.

I am bearing in mind that I may just be hating on it in a contrarian fashion as I'm aware it was a super hyped book a few years ago.

The first thing that came to mind though is 'I bet Amelie fans love this book'.

240976.jpg

read like 5 of his works in a row a year or two ago and found this in a thrift shop. figured i'd read the book that actually lost him his czech citizenship. funnily enough i didn't really consider the context in which his political criticism was written until now

haven't seen him posted here before so i figured i'd recommend him. especially the unbearable lightness of being

I had a bunch of his books, all picked up from charity shops. Never got around to reading them and I think I've lost them now d'oh

i genuinely liked this book. got this impression kundera genuinely tried to write something in the very theme he was theorizing about: variations on repetitions. he proposes some insights about how we laugh at the absurdity of repetition and that we in those repetitions lose sight of what is being repeated, which is literally what happens as the book progresses. it's sweet. was positively surprised

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading the fourth book (The Citadel of the Autarch) in Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun saga. Apparently a classic science-fantasy novel which somehow had eluded me. Dying Earth type of setting, set millions of years in the future where forgotten tech is to the narrator like magic. It's good stuff and definitely has me considering another read through because it has layers and the narrator doesn't really seem reliable. Great use of archaic words to add some spice and strangeness to the language.

I am also in the process of reading the 4kg omnibus of Jack Kirby's Fourth World comics that came out last year. 70s comics silliness <3

Anyone read any John Barnes? I picked up Kaleidoscope Century, which sounds like it's basically about immortal Droogs in space. It's #5 in a list of crap I have to read so it'll be a while afore I commence

Currently reading the fourth book (The Citadel of the Autarch) in Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun saga. Apparently a classic science-fantasy novel which somehow had eluded me. Dying Earth type of setting, set millions of years in the future where forgotten tech is to the narrator like magic. It's good stuff and definitely has me considering another read through because it has layers and the narrator doesn't really seem reliable. Great use of archaic words to add some spice and strangeness to the language.

I am also in the process of reading the 4kg omnibus of Jack Kirby's Fourth World comics that came out last year. 70s comics silliness <3

Good stuff! Gene Wolfe is awesome, & those Kirby collections are solid gold.

I just ordered some Hammond project enclosures and a Georges Bataille book on Amazon, what kind of government watch lists am I on now?

not sure, but get 'the turner diaries' and you'll be on the correct government list

I'm in a spot looking for a few different things to read atm, is this actually worth a go or is it just racist drivel?

not sure, but get 'the turner diaries' and you'll be on the correct government list

I'm in a spot looking for a few different things to read atm, is this actually worth a go or is it just racist drivel?

it's basically a white supremacists wet dream- and even though it's incredibly racist, it's so over-the-top to the point of almost being cartoonish. it's also not written well (it's more fanatical and maniacal in it's fetish for genocide and warfare)- but the treatment is rather simplistic not to mention there are almost no flaws to any of the white characters in the book (except for maybe a minor moment of tension betwix our "hero?", his girlfriend and another dude).

read Brave New World again, it was like reading it for the first time, I don't know was I doing when I first read it cause everything I remembered about it was wrong

Anyway, it's a much more ambiguous book than I remember. Well, not ambiguous but rather not as obvious as say 1984.