IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Slogging through Pynchon's Bleeding Edge and almost finished with Vol. 1 of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol.

Bleeding Edge is lush, bruv

What do you think of Doom Patrol? I think it's second only to Animal Man as far as Morrison goes.

Has anyone read The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton? I've learned to ignore the Booker Prize lately, but this actually sounds decent.

My wife is reading it presently and likes it quite a bit. From what she's said about it I'll prob check it out when she's done.

Cool, I'll add it to the list.

this was really good. it's like a victorian mystery novel with an intriguing presence of the mystical. her prose is very cool and detailed, which combined with the very long first half of the book may feel somewhat plodding. however, the pacing is very deliberate and as the book starts to gets moving one is grateful for her cool, clear writing. this could easily have been botched by a heavier hand, one more easily tempted to indulge in the fantastic.

definitely recommend it, it's quite a compelling story, very tightly woven and there is just the right touch of un-resolution throughout. the structure of the book really lends itself to a quick reading, despite its length.

lush/10

Excellent, I'm already up 110th on the library waiting list for this! It'll be my fav read of 2015.

Doom Patrol is a nice juxtaposition to The Invisibles, which put me through the eye of a needle last winter. Pretty sure that tome changed/will change my life. DP is a lot easier to follow (so far!), and I like the artwork. Not too well-versed in comics, but it's a medium I have a newfound respect for.

Currently reading 'Leonardo da Vinci: A Psychosexual Study of an Infantile Reminiscence' by Sigmund Freud. I've never read Freud before but had always been aware of the criticisms of Freudian Psychoanalysis and so I figured what he was doing was slanted by his own perceptions. However, I'd have to say that he does a fairly good job of addressing misgivings that the reader may have along the way. I tend to think now that those that dislike him just resent his ability to make connections between traits and behaviour to parental influence simply because it's quite often painful, so they prefer the comfort of him being labelled as misguided crank.

If their timelines had been different it would have been fascinating to read him try to analyse Andy Warhol and his work, especially in regard to his voyeuristic tendencies.

Reading American Gods. About 300 pages in and it is not delivering at all

:orly:

Which books do you enjoy most?

I have just finished two weeks leave and realised I haven't finished Pynchon's Vineland (only half way through). Gonna finish it and probably speed read it again to smooth out the gap.

I have just finished two weeks leave and realised I haven't finished Pynchon's Vineland (only half way through). Gonna finish it and probably speed read it again to smooth out the gap.

Even as a Pynchonite that book does my head in. Not Tom's finest hour.

Finished Hugh Howey's Wool (the first part), a post-apocalyptic mystery type thing. I usually take a long time to get a book read, but got through this in a a couple of days, very captivating and could see it working well as a TV miniseries, has plenty of twists. Painted the world well and interesting premise overall. Will continue with the second book, Shift. The last part, Dust, won't come out until February as paperback. Otherwise the whole series is available as ebooks if that's your thing.

Edited by azatoth

I don't know, I was expecting the book to focus on the Gods and the personified, modern technology-Gods but there's none of that, all of the god stuff is pretty unspecific and it focuses and Shadow who is as boring as a main character can get

edit: didn't even answer the question but I though I'd rather be more specific in my critique than answer directly

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

I only just joined the site so obviously I haven´t looked closely at all the topic but some people were saying they were thinking to start The Recognitions. I´m just at the end of part 1 and so impressed. I know Gaddis will become one of my favourites, totally respectful of the characters but he shows their flaws painfully clear, it´s so funny and so embarrasing.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I'm reading Howard Zinn's Peoples History of the US. My history knowledge is almost nothing, due to a terrible education system. And especially US history as I wasn't raised here. So I'm catching up. This was probably a bad place to start as it assumes you know alot already.

Anyone got any history recommendations?

I read that last year. Consider the book as more of an oral history, towards the left and the social aspect of history, a lot more towards an alternative view to what happened in history shown through the eyes of the everyday man. You should counterpoint the book with a more traditional political and economic approach to US history after that. The real history is more somewhere in-between.

So I'm at page 400 of Heretics of Dune and wow, did this story took pace in the last hundred or so pages! The immense perspective of the Golden Path is totally creating this intense atmosphere and foreboding. That, and the vivid imagery that Herbert knows to sketch is just fan-freaking-tastic.

I just read the chapter where Teg is being tortured and experiences some form of spice agony which has awakened him into .. something.. oh boy, I am excited

the vivid imagery that Herbert knows to sketch is just fan-freaking-tastic.

Herbert has a knack for creating immersive environments with few words. At times I found myself ignoring the primary action, so absorbed was I in the world itself - even in 90% dialogue chapters, with only a scattering of references to how a place smelled, or how the light passed through a window.

Reading a book of Philip Larkin poems - just unbelievable, so heartbreaking and so beautiful

Ah Philip... Nice to see some poetry love.

I'm going to nab me the latest Penguin edition of Beowulf asap.

Currently dipping in and out of Hyperbole and Me. Considering Giles Cohen's "How to Eat Out" (bad restaurant experience last night made me curious) but I've heard he's considered a bit of a cunt.

Saying that, so is Philip Larkin.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I read the new Malcolm Gladwell book David & Goliath. It's short. like a pamphlet maybe. or a fast read not sure. anyway nowhere near as interesting as Outliers which I stil think is his best. It starts ok but the last few chapters are long and the connection to david & goliath type situations was a little tenuous, despite being interesting stories about the people involved. It felt disconnected from the rest of the book, more like a collection than a real book in a way. It kinda felt like here is another example of someone who had a disadvantage and what it taught them became an advantage. and here's another.

Overall I think the premise is interesting but the examples weren't that good and the one idea struggled to sustain a whole short book.