IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Pagan Spain by Richard Wright

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Slowly making my way through The Obelisk Gate by NK Jemisin. It's good, but goddamn I cannot stomach fantasy at all.

Edited by doublename

Are there any good new crime novels? My brothers birthday is coming up and I know sod all about the genre.

if your brother is into dark, neo-noirish crime stuff, I would highly recommend a trilogy of lesser-known novels by Will Christopher Baer. They aren't new, but they are fucking great. The first one is called Kiss Me, Judas

https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Judas-Will-Christopher-Baer/dp/0670881759/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0670881759&pd_rd_r=N08SWA0NWC9AEMX38CN8&pd_rd_w=3D04q&pd_rd_wg=0NWG2&psc=1&refRID=N08SWA0NWC9AEMX38CN8

my "to read" list is growing ever longer because of this thread. 

nicola barker Darkmans.. was a great tip. read that last year due to someone mentioning it in this thread. now i need to get more of her stuff. 

Pagan Spain by Richard Wright

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Slowly making my way through The Obelisk Gate by NK Jemisin. It's good, but goddamn I cannot stomach fantasy at all.

I bought the Laird Barron book Occultism. So far I'm on the fourth short story..

Also read I Am Legend which was also neat. 

Once I've done Occultism I'll be read Imajica (Barker). I kind of feel I can't go wrong with Clive Barker tbh. Still need to read more though....I just find if I've done plenty of work and even though I've had the strongest cup of coffee known to man I read three pages and I'm sinking into a deep sleep. My eyelids turn into lead shutters. Hate it. So frustrating.

halfway through 2666, not looking forward to the 200 or so pages of the Part About the Murders I've yet to read. It's like American Psycho but instead of describing people's clothing it's describing rape and murder victims

American Psycho also describes quite a bit of rape and murder, as well as a bitchin Whitney Houston review

it's like american psycho except instead of describing putting rats up a girl's pussy it describes a murder.

:cisfor:

what I mean though is that in American Psycho you get these constant, repetitive, almost identical descriptions of people's clothing while in 2666 Bolaño does that with murder victims, just one after the other until they all start blurring together. Not the best comparison but you get it

• 2 weeks later...

Alright fellas, help me put together a kickass pile of spooky books to read this autumn.

I dug out Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf last night (it was next to a bunch of old Goosebumps books—hell yeah), and before that I reread Alan Moore's From Hell. Plus I got this thing called Powers of Darkness, which I guess is what happened when Bram Stoker's Icelandic translator for Dracula decided to blood-and-gore things up a bit. So that could be fun. or crap, but maybe fun crap.

Suggestions? I hunger for fresh blood

For horror I have recently enjoyed The Croning, The Fisherman, Rawblood, Hex and Apartment 16. Sorry to not state the authors but I'm in bed and my bookshelf is too far away.

I dunno if I ever mentioned it here but I also read The Fisherman recently. Pretty solid story overall, definitely some creepy sections. Good mood throughout.

Did anyone say Ligotti yet? Sort of a given I guess these days but still, often creepy and always weird. If you can handle his style of writing, of course. I still haven't touched too much of his earlier work.

Thanks guys! Hadn’t heard of The Fisherman; will definitely find meself a copy of that one. Not too optimistic about Adam Nevill based on the excerpts I just read, but I’ll give him a shot.

About halfway through Powers of Darkness (the translator-tweaked Dracula I mentioned above). Turns out it’s really different. Lots of details and weird occurrences that give it sort of an Irish/Scandinavian folklore feel, to my mind—nothing heavy-handed, just reads a bit less modern Gothic in tone (Henry James, Mary Shelley stuff). It’s also got loads of footnotes which are occasionally interesting but mostly not. Good for a dreary evening or two in any case.

Finally got around to reading an Umberto Eco book, "Numero Zero". I was worried when I read it was his weakest novel, but it made for a nice afternoon read the other day. Just picked up "The Name of the Rose" and have begun to dig in.

I really liked the ritual by Adam Nevill, at least until it went off the rails in the final third.

It really did, I'll be intrigued to see if they kept this section in the film.

Alright fellas, help me put together a kickass pile of spooky books to read this autumn.

I dug out Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf last night (it was next to a bunch of old Goosebumps books—hell yeah), and before that I reread Alan Moore's From Hell. Plus I got this thing called Powers of Darkness, which I guess is what happened when Bram Stoker's Icelandic translator for Dracula decided to blood-and-gore things up a bit. So that could be fun. or crap, but maybe fun crap.

Suggestions? I hunger for fresh blood

The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud

Experimental Film by Gemma Files

Almost anything by Jack Ketchum (if you want really nasty blood+guts stuff)

A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones

Penpal by Dathan Auerbach 

Any short stories by Thomas Ligotti 

Anything at all by Brian Evenson