IGNORED

autechre is for da children

chim

so i haven't been much into ae, i've always respected them and even enjoyed some of their work, untilted is my favourite album and cipater is a genius track. It's just that their music is so demanding, you have to have the patience listen to a track in it's full context to truly appreciate how it progresses. That in itself is genius but rarely satisfying when i just want to put something on that has a melody.

however, yesterday i put Sublimit on when playing games with my nephews (8 y/o girl and 16 y/o boy. I continued with the rest of Untilted and even had my first listen to Quaristice with em. They loved it. The girl started jumping along to the music while her platform flash game.

I'm going to start playing AE with them all the time. It sounds better in speakers rather than headphones. It's social music.

Any similar experiences?

I frequently play AE to the abducted children in my basement. They seem distressed when they hear it, but that might be more down to the lack of food and frequent beatings.

I played Krib to a friends 10 year old daughter. Her eyes became big and wondrous and she exclaimed "que bonita!"(how beautiful!) made me smile.

I think it might be the case that children are more open to stuff like Autechre because their notion of what music 'is' or 'ought to be' is not as ingrained in the psyche as with adults.

I played Krib to a friends 10 year old daughter. Her eyes became big and wondrous and she exclaimed "que bonita!"(how beautiful!) made me smile.

Really? That's fantastic!

I think it might be the case that children are more open to stuff like Autechre because their notion of what music 'is' or 'ought to be' is not as ingrained in the psyche as with adults.

I never really even thought about this, but it makes a lot of sense. I probably would have really liked Amber as a kid.

Archived