IGNORED

Not giving much of a shit

Lianne

People take IDM seriously?

So much is geared toward the dance floor, it seems like often it's more "fun" than "serious." That's not to say there aren't incredible sincere releases, but stuff like We Hear You never claimed to be serious, deep, emotional stuff.

that's a right on.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:facepalm: at all the bollocks in this thread about hipsters. You're all joking right?

You must live under a rock.

Tottenham, it's like a rock but with more guns.

not like IDM with vocals... but the techniques and subtle flavors will be there. Take BTs song sonambullshit. super dance floor friendly, and glitches up the ass

[youtubehd]_iFizEkfEAQ[/youtubehd]

i just threw up in my mouth a little

Guest hahathhat

i propose that many people give a shit, and that's why they don't spend their time on message boards saying so.

really

biased sample

Guest hahathhat

maybe we could all band together, united as some fucking huge WATMM collective armed with laptops and warez alike.

it would be like wu-tang but idm stylee, i.e. less wulosophy and more pictures of dicks

:facepalm:

It will take time. As said earlier, people in the '80s were sick of disco/glam metal/etc until hiphop broke through from funk/soul breaks and the like. Same thing w/IDM, it will happen, the question is when. Aphex Twin is pretty much regarded as changing the electronic game quite a bit. Did we know he was going to "emerge"? No, he just started releasing stuff, and people liked it a lot.

Music is always changing, it's almost nonsensical to think that new genres and ways to push things will not emerge. It's infinite, genres are always changing, some quickly, some very slowly.

For all we know, there's a young kid somewhere in some no-name town slowly crafting something truly spectacular and innovative.

maybe we could all band together, united as some fucking huge WATMM collective armed with laptops and warez alike.

it would be like wu-tang but idm stylee, i.e. less wulosophy and more pictures of dicks

I approve of this post.

i bet there are plenty of artists alive today with all the passion and creativity of the elites worshiped on this site, but without the confidence or means to get their material out there, especially in the bleak, critical, self-loathing creative environment that arises from "good music is dead" discussions like this

Fuck Yes

i bet there are plenty of artists alive today with all the passion and creativity of the elites worshiped on this site, but without the confidence or means to get their material out there, especially in the bleak, critical, self-loathing creative environment that arises from "good music is dead" discussions like this

Truth. Sometimes I think that since people can't make a living making this kind of music anymore, they don't have all day every day to keep making music and develop their ideas. Their musical development or whatever it may be might plateau at some point. Someone who could have had the potential to make absolutely stellar music is merely making good music, and that's as far as they are allowed to get. Just something I think about.

Guest Calx Sherbet

if making music was the only way i got money, then i'd really give a shit about it.

well... getting signed to warp hasn't seemed too difficult lately, so i guess never mind

this thread is pretty stupid

but to add something to this thread, am I the only one who'd be just as interested in that unreleased afx stuff as in the new album? I mean do you guys seriously think like new afx/autechre/boc album, this will be like at least 1.7x more advanced than the last one. Aphex Twin is one of the people where I've thought the least 'song A is better/more evolved than song B', I mean he's got some crap songs but I'm pretty sure every era/album he's had something worth listening to, and I mean lasting quality not 'oh yeah he did what he was going for much better in the next album it kind of makes this track obsolete'. I think part of the problem is yeah over the top stuff, I think IDM tries too often to go for all this stuff going on and it's like fireworks, each one is only impressive until a more impressive one goes off. I know I'm incredibly biased but AFX's stuff reminds me of let's say CHAIRS, like do even people who are into chairs go like 'this chair is the best chair ever', or do they just appreciate each chair for what it is. And it's really too subtle to quantify what would make a chair good anyway

maybe I just haven't heard their stuff long enough to be jaded about the whole thing. And I don't really feel too strongly about this whole subject anyway, it kind of paints a bleaker picture than what it really is. I hate when people start getting all stupid about stuff that's supposed to be fucking form of entertainment in the first place

also yeah about subtle changes in the sound over time, you guys act like when somebody new comes along, even if they don't completely reinvent music it won't just be exciting hearing their idea of good sounds, etc. their whole sensibility about music I guess

Edit: I just figured that with Warp, I assumed Planet Mu was the place to check out nowadays. Any other labels I should know about?

Archived